Chances with an assigned C and LSAT 167

sadgpanoises

sadgpanoises
  • Applicant

I just got a R from UofC and no word from any other schools. I'm thinking of retaking my LSAT for 170+ for a better chance next cycle since my GPA is at 2.7 so I don't have much hope...how are my odds looking for TRU?

HarryCrane
  • Articling Student

It’s very likely going to be an R unless you have some pretty exceptional circumstances to explain the GPA, and some even more exceptional softs to give you a holistic bump. 

• Like 2

sadgpanoises
  • Applicant
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, HarryCrane said:

It’s very likely going to be an R unless you have some pretty exceptional circumstances to explain the GPA, and some even more exceptional softs to give you a holistic bump. 

I graduated during Covid and worked full time for the Red Cross + Lifesaving Society during that time which was my explanation for the GPA, my softs also include being the executive admin for 2 medium-sized businesses through covid and 2-4th year at UBC. Thank you for the reply though and I'll probably be retaking the LSAT for 170+ for a higher chance next cycle!

Edited by sadgpanoises

HarryCrane
  • Articling Student

So I’m going to be honest, I think even with a 170 LSAT you are not going to get in. Your reason for a low GPA is not unique - many people work during undergrad. It’s not going to get you much in terms of holistic review, and your softs are similarly not impressive enough to really benefit from holistic review. 

My strong suggestion would be to try to boost your GPA. 

If you strike out this cycle, consider changing up how you approach your applications. Right now the reason your giving for your low GPA is a bad one. What you need to do instead is try and demonstrate that those grades aren't indicative of your actual ability. Right now you're counting on the LSAT to that and for schools to infer it. Instead you should be stating that fact directly and using whatever evidence you have to back it up. 

• Like 2

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

Are your last and/or best 2 years of undergrad grades better than your cumulative GPA?

EDIT - Just looked at OP's post history, the answer is no. This can be deleted. Apologies.

Edited by CleanHands

HarryCrane
  • Articling Student
49 minutes ago, LMP said:

If you strike out this cycle, consider changing up how you approach your applications. Right now the reason your giving for your low GPA is a bad one. What you need to do instead is try and demonstrate that those grades aren't indicative of your actual ability. Right now you're counting on the LSAT to that and for schools to infer it. Instead you should be stating that fact directly and using whatever evidence you have to back it up. 

This is good advice, but even doing so does not get over the hurdle of the GPA being as low as it is and there being a level of academic ability that is needed to be demonstrated to be admitted. The admissions committee may be convinced by the personal statement that their ability is not what their grades reflect, but that does not change that they need to hit a certain "number" to be considered for admission - it just gives them a better shot at the holistic points available.

2 hours ago, HarryCrane said:

This is good advice, but even doing so does not get over the hurdle of the GPA being as low as it is and there being a level of academic ability that is needed to be demonstrated to be admitted. The admissions committee may be convinced by the personal statement that their ability is not what their grades reflect, but that does not change that they need to hit a certain "number" to be considered for admission - it just gives them a better shot at the holistic points available.

Agreed, I'm not making any promises of admission. But I still think it is a worthwhile move if they intend to apply again.

• Like 1

HarryCrane
  • Articling Student
1 hour ago, LMP said:

Agreed, I'm not making any promises of admission. But I still think it is a worthwhile move if they intend to apply again.

Yes, sorry I didn’t mean to suggest that OP shouldn’t do that or that you were guaranteeing admission if they did.