Articling with MAG - LSO Fees

AlanDershowitz

AlanDershowitz
  • Articling Student

I was under the impression that MAG would pay for licensing fees. My offer letter stated that I "may be eligible" to have all fees covered. My induction package states that just $410 of the over $5000 will be paid for by MAG. Is this normal? 

ZineZ
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, AlanDershowitz said:

I was under the impression that MAG would pay for licensing fees. My offer letter stated that I "may be eligible" to have all fees covered. My induction package states that just $410 of the over $5000 will be paid for by MAG. Is this normal? 

To the best of my knowledge, this is NOT normal (or atleast it wasn't when I was in MAG). Reach out to HR asap and get clarification - I haven't heard of students not having their licensing fees covered.

@Kibitzer might have more updated information, though. Has there been a change in policy?  

Kibitzer
  • Lawyer
14 hours ago, ZineZ said:

To the best of my knowledge, this is NOT normal (or atleast it wasn't when I was in MAG). Reach out to HR asap and get clarification - I haven't heard of students not having their licensing fees covered.

@Kibitzer might have more updated information, though. Has there been a change in policy?  

I am not aware of any policy change. As I understand it, current articling students expect to be reimbursed and get the stipend. 

More importantly, the collective agreement speaks to this:

Article 8 – Educational Stipend and Bar Administration Process Fees

Articling Students are to receive an educational stipend of $4,975, of which $3,000 is to be paid at the commencement of Articles with the balance paid on January 1st of the Articling year.

Up until January 9, 2019, each Articling Student will receive a $410 non-taxable payment towards the call to the Bar Fee and the Bar Admissions Application Fee, which is to be paid at the commencement of Articles.
Effective January 10, 2019, the Employer shall pay 100% of Law Society fees for each Articling Student for the following items:

• Application Fee
  • Barrister Licensing Examination
  • Solicitor Licensing Examination
  • Articling Program/Law Practice Program
  • Call to the Bar Fee 

I suspect this was an error/poor drafting. Additionally, at least as it relates to the "may" perhaps this is standard language because it may be conditional on completing articles (i.e., not leaving part way through).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1