Question for transfers

CoolLawStudent

CoolLawStudent
  • Law Student

Hello guys,

I am a law student at UOttawa. I want to transfer to McGill and I was wondering if anyone knows what GPA it takes to transfer? Also, do you guys know how many transfer they take?Anything on the subject will be extremely helpful.

Thank you

wordache
  • Applicant

May I ask what makes you want to transfer? I am considering between uOttawa and McGill (been accepted to both). Thanks!

CoolLawStudent
  • Law Student

Ottawa is a great school, but because I am from Quebec, my fees at McGill will be much lower. I am doing the LLL/JD so it's mostly a question of finances.  Honestly, I have nothing bad to say about uOttawa. If you are from the Ottawa region and don't want to move to Montreal it is a great school that definitely sets you up for a great career in law.

WiseGhost
  • Law Student

This year, I believe that there were only two transfers, and they had to do first year courses. Since you are doing the LLL/JD, you might be exempt from that requirement, but I am not sure. My understanding is that your grades need to be exceptional for a transfer and that personal need also plays a role (ex: sickness in family, want to move back for support reasons).

I would speak with McGill's admission services, as they can likely give you better advice than students like me. 

CoolLawStudent
  • Law Student

Do you know how good their grades were? Do you believe an 3.8 Gpa on the McGill scale is enough?

Thanks

WiseGhost
  • Law Student

A 3.8 undergrad gpa? If you're talking law school gpa, then that would certainly be impressive. I don't know their precise gpas but the transfer students are excellent students.

CoolLawStudent
  • Law Student
3 hours ago, WiseGhost said:

A 3.8 undergrad gpa? If you're talking law school gpa, then that would certainly be impressive. I don't know their precise gpas but the transfer students are excellent students.

Yes, that's my Law school Gpa. Hopefully it's enough!

• 1 month later...
LawStudent7
  • Law Student

Hi!! Transfer student here!! I applied for my transfer after 2 years of law school. I still had to (re)take some first year courses since it's a combined BCL/JD and I was transferring from a BCL. I believe they don't accept a lot of transfer students, so your application must stand out. You also need good grades, a good resume and a good reason why you are now choosing McGill. Hope that helps!