DOJ Federal Hiring Process

beachhouse

beachhouse
  • Lawyer

So, I recently applied to the DOJ and just wanted to ask if anyone could provide some details on the process, what my expectations might be and any useful tips throughout. 

I'm familiar with Federal hiring and employment, but very new to the civilian public service side. I understand many details need to be left out for confidentiality/security reasons. 

BHC1
  • Lawyer

You can PM me if you want, although the info I can share is dated.

If this is for the Toronto junior counsel competition, your chances have probably never been better. 

• Like 1

happydude
  • Lawyer

In terms of expectations, on the pay front, I have heard that, regardless of your year of call, if you are a new hire to the DOJ you start at the bottom of the payscale... so you could be looking at 100k flat, or even under that, despite jumping over as a very senior call. Anyone know if that is true?

Edited by happydude

BHC1
  • Lawyer
3 hours ago, happydude said:

In terms of expectations, on the pay front, I have heard that, regardless of your year of call, if you are a new hire to the DOJ you start at the bottom of the payscale... so you could be looking at 100k flat, or even under that, despite jumping over as a very senior call. Anyone know if that is true?

Your step on the pay grid is negotiable, however the classification that you are hired for usually is not (i.e. if you are offered and applied for a LP-01, you can’t negotiate for a -02 role).

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
4 hours ago, happydude said:

1 hour ago, BHC1 said:

Your step on the pay grid is negotiable, however the classification that you are hired for usually is not (i.e. if you are offered and applied for a LP-01, you can’t negotiate for a -02 role).

To clarify this, there are postings for higher classifications so it's totally possible to start at a pay level that reflects one's seniority if the job competition is for that level of experience. But sometimes they hire for lower classifications and more senior lawyers apply to get their foot in the door and then apply for higher classifications as soon as relevant postings come up.

Edited by CleanHands
  • Like 1

ZukoJD
  • Law Student
On 3/13/2024 at 8:21 PM, BHC1 said:

You can PM me if you want, although the info I can share is dated.

If this is for the Toronto junior counsel competition, your chances have probably never been better. 

Curious why that’s the case. 

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
16 minutes ago, ZukoJD said:

Curious why that’s the case. 

The Toronto office is salty that the new CBA doesn’t retain their traditionally higher pay scale. 

WiseGhost
  • Law Student

The scale not being uniform was bad (Toronto is not the only place with HCOL), but since people judge their personal success based on how their peers are being treated, DOJ members in Toronto are understandably peeved.

Other members of the DOJ are getting a nice raise, and the Toronto office is comparatively getting only scraps.