ACCEPTING OTHER OFFERS - Would it affect chance / outcome of pending applications?

leftphalange
  • Law School Admit

I have received other offers which require my acceptance before a certain date soon.  If I haven't heard from UBC before that, I might have to accept that first, though UBC might be my preferred school.  Would accepting other offers affect my chance with UBC?  In other words would schools communicate between themselves on application progress and results?

canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer

The schools in Ontario communicate with each other, because all their applications are done on OLSAS. If you accept an offer on OLSAS, you're withdrawing your application from all other Ontario schools.

Outside of Ontario, the schools do not know whether you've accepted an offer elsewhere. For example, if you accepted an offer at USask or Western, then later were accepted to UBC, you could take the UBC spot and withdraw from your other acceptances. If you paid a deposit at the other school, you'll be forfeiting it.

• Like 1

leftphalange
  • Law School Admit
1 hour ago, canuckfanatic said:

The schools in Ontario communicate with each other, because all their applications are done on OLSAS. If you accept an offer on OLSAS, you're withdrawing your application from all other Ontario schools.

Outside of Ontario, the schools do not know whether you've accepted an offer elsewhere. For example, if you accepted an offer at USask or Western, then later were accepted to UBC, you could take the UBC spot and withdraw from your other acceptances. If you paid a deposit at the other school, you'll be forfeiting it.

Thanks!  Does it apply equally to two schools outside of Ontario but are in the same province nonetheless?  Eg UVic & UBC, etc.

canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, leftphalange said:

Thanks!  Does it apply equally to two schools outside of Ontario but are in the same province nonetheless?  Eg UVic & UBC, etc.

Yes. No other province has a central application platform like OLSAS - so schools in the other provinces don't communicate with each other about who they've admitted. 

You could accept an offer from UVic and later withdraw it if you get into UBC.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Donut2001
  • Undergrad

Hi! If you don't mind elaborating - I was just wondering how common of a practice this is? And how people typically go about letting schools know they will no longer be attending after accepting an offer? As well as if you know if there are any other consequences outside of losing the deposit?

I have searched their websites and unfortunately found no concrete information on this either. 

GoatDuck
  • Law Student
14 minutes ago, Donut2001 said:

And how people typically go about letting schools know they will no longer be attending after accepting an offer?

Send an email to the admissions office as soon as you've decided that you won't be attending. Tell them that you've decided to pursue opportunities elsewhere and thank them for their understanding and support throughout the admission process. Keep it short and sweet: be respectful and courteous but don't make it sound like you're breaking off an engagement.  

17 minutes ago, Donut2001 said:

As well as if you know if there are any other consequences outside of losing the deposit? 

Not really. I can see how you'd have difficulties transferring to that school down the road, but not much else. 

• Like 1