Did you move away for school? What was your experience like?

warraeli

warraeli
  • Law School Admit

Deciding between UofA or Calgary and struggling to make the final decision. Would be practical to stay home in Edmonton but a new setting could be a breath of fresh air for a new journey. Anyone deal with a similar dilemma??

Monophobia
  • Law Student

Our situations sound like they may be different but my home life was terrible. I actively tried to do well in school and save money so I could move away. Best decision younger me ever made. I loved the independence and never really got homesick. I've moved cities for school twice and it has felt like a nice mental reset each time.

On the other hand, if your situation is different, moving away can be difficult mentally and financially. If you have a solid support network in Edmonton and you can live at home, I think many would recommend you stay.

Hard to say without more info but consider the following if it applies to you. Why add living expenses onto your law school debt if you don't need to? Why distance yourself from your mental safety nets when you don't need to? 

Best of luck though, congratz on your acceptances.

• Like 2

Tesseract
  • Law Student

My home life was great, moving away was a drag. 

Depends how much you like the UofA, if you like it and home is there and its a decent living situation you achieve nothing by leaving. If home life sucks or you don't like the UofA Calgary is close enough that you can get away but still see the fam on weekends if needed. 

If you're unsure I'd stay close to home. You can always choose to move out midway through the year or in an upper year. And of course the reverse is open and you can always head back home if you need to. The flexibility is valuable and if you otherwise enjoying living at home then it might help to have that support avalible during 1L.

perryplatypus
  • Articling Student

My bf went to UofC and then regretted it and so transferred back home after his first year.

warraeli
  • Law School Admit
On 3/25/2024 at 6:48 PM, lawstudentvancouver said:

My bf went to UofC and then regretted it and so transferred back home after his first year.

from vancouver?