Defence Firms - Articling Fees

underperform

underperform
  • Law Student

I am looking to see if anyone has any info about crim firms (specifically in Ontario, preferably in Toronto) paying for their articling fees and or/bar fees.

I am in the process of negotiating with a medium size crim firm in Toronto and they are asking for other firms who offer to pay this. 

Phaedrus
  • Lawyer

I articled on the east cost at a very small shop. My principal covered my articling fees, as is standard practice out this way. My colleagues at small- to mid-sized general practice firms (incld. criminal law) in both rural and urban locations had their firms cover articling fees, too. I've only run into one person since graduation whose firm didn't cover the articling/bar fees. IIRC, my fees ended up being in the $10k range and my salary was commensurate with the firm-size, location, and regional articling salary range. To be clear, I didn't receive a "BigLaw" or regional equivalent salary but I didn't expect one either. 

Dinsdale
  • Lawyer

All large Toronto firms do, though that may not be the relevant comparable your firm is looking for.

LMP
  • Articling Student
1 hour ago, underperform said:

I am looking to see if anyone has any info about crim firms (specifically in Ontario, preferably in Toronto) paying for their articling fees and or/bar fees.

I am in the process of negotiating with a medium size crim firm in Toronto and they are asking for other firms who offer to pay this. 

Might help to check your school's job board. The postings there from crim firms will probably say if those fees are covered.