Any Preparation for 2L Summer Program (Bay St) Required?

LegalBaobei

LegalBaobei
  • NCA Candidate

Hi, 

So, I'm an internationally trained lawyer (fondly called an ITL) starting a 2L position in May, and wanted to know if there's anything I should be doing to prepare for it 

Do I schedule lunch with people from the firm now or wait till I start the program? Is there any forum I'm to join? Is there any book I'm to read? (hopefully none)

As an ITL, I don't have a network of people to get this info from via general conversation, and also didn't get the chance to network with a lot of people, so I'm hoping someone would provide some info here.

Super thanks!

You gotta take it a little easy. Certainly don't go messaging people now for things like lunches. Your first week or so will be an introduction to the firm and you'll be given the resources you need. You'll also organically meet people, there will be plenty of times for lunches. 

Displaying interest and being eager is fine, but just be careful not to come off too strong or too intense. If you're still worried you can reach out to students in your cohort who spent the previous summer at the firm or talk to some junior associates/articling students.

But there isn't really anything you need to do in advance, so don't sweat it too much. 

• Like 1

LegalBaobei
  • NCA Candidate
9 hours ago, LMP said:

You gotta take it a little easy. Certainly don't go messaging people now for things like lunches. Your first week or so will be an introduction to the firm and you'll be given the resources you need. You'll also organically meet people, there will be plenty of times for lunches. 

Displaying interest and being eager is fine, but just be careful not to come off too strong or too intense. If you're still worried you can reach out to students in your cohort who spent the previous summer at the firm or talk to some junior associates/articling students.

But there isn't really anything you need to do in advance, so don't sweat it too much. 

Thanks, this is helpful! That's exactly what I think too, but since I haven't worked in Canada before, I wasn't sure if I was missing anything. The context is that there's been a couple of things I've found peculiar to Canada so I didn't want to miss out on anything due to lack of info. Thanks again.

Dinsdale
  • Lawyer

Agree, just relax and get some sleep as preparation!  If you have a 2L position, that means you're going to be at your firm for four months plus (absent some tragic mishap) another eight months of articling.  Lots of time to meet people and make an impression.