Finished law school, feeling defeated

torontowaxy

torontowaxy
  • Lawyer

Is this normal? I wrote my last final on Wednesday and I can't stop overthinking it and feeling I could have done better...

Edited by torontowaxy

Diplock
  • Lawyer

Well, generally speaking people who finish law school are happy to be done and move on to whatever comes next. And they aren't usually too anxious about performance in the last term of 3L because barring some massive flop, it probably doesn't matter because they already know where they are going.

Both of those observations, however, default to what I suspect is the real issue. Where are you going next? Have you secured articles, do you know what your intentions are following law school? I strongly suspect if you have a problem here it relates more to uncertainty regarding your next steps, rather than sorrow at having no further exams to write.

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

Your only other post states that you secured an ONCA clerkship.

I'm sorry, but it's ridiculous for you to fret over one exam at this point, after I can only assume you were at the top of your class throughout law school and then possibly (not even confirmed yet) performed less than perfectly on a single exam.

Edited by CleanHands
  • Like 5

BHC1
  • Lawyer

I do not think there’s anything not normal about how you’re feeling. We all process things in different ways. If it persists after a few weeks, consider seeking professional help. Poor mental health management among lawyers and judges is well documented.

Take care of yourself. Congratulations. 

• Like 2

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student

I certainly couldn’t have cared less about how I did on my final 3L exam (or any 3L exam, really). 

Edited by QueensDenning
  • Like 2

BlushAndTheBar
  • Lawyer

Congratulations on finishing law school and securing an ONCA clerkship!

Although I agree with some posters here, I felt relieved when I finished 3L... I can also tell you that there is no "normal" way to feel after finishing something as onerous as law school and your feelings are valid. 

I don't have any professional or educational background in psychology...therapy... or anything of the sort but what I can say is that it's very possible your performance anxiety might be something you've grown accustomed to after finishing exams OR you could also be mixing up a different feeling with your regular performance anxiety. It could be that you have been in school your entire life and you're worried about the next steps. I don't know you too well to properly assess, but if true, that feeling IS completely normal. 

I suggest speaking to your family and friends about how you're feeling and trying to take some time to celebrate your accomplishments post-law school. This opportunity to reflect like this will be rare! 

Edited by BlushAndTheBar
comma

Louis St. Laurent
  • Lawyer

Sometimes I feel sad after I finish a good book. 

• Like 3

chaboywb
  • Lawyer

I don't know exactly what you're feeling, OP, but I always felt sad at the end of a term - from high school through to end of 3L. Even though I generally felt I did fine, I'd reflect on how I could have done a little bit better if I'd focused more or sought more help, or how I'd rushed through days because I was waiting for what's next but didn't slow down to enjoy the moments. But I think that's just part of life and a lesson to appreciate the time you have while it's happening, rather than always racing toward the next milestone.

If you're complaining about one specific exam and thinking you could have spotted an extra issue or something, then that is silly and you need to move on. Your grades are obviously strong if you're clerking at the ONCA and, even if they weren't, this will not matter in a few years. I haven't looked at my transcript since I started articling and doubt I'll ever need to again.

Edited by chaboywb

SNAILS
  • Articling Student

I suppose emotions about finishing law school are different for different people. I moved all of my belongings out of my apartment yesterday, and it gives me a weird mix of emotions. 

Law school was a  big part of our lives for a lot of years. Most of us put a lot of pressure on ourselves and put a lot of time towards our studies. I liked my routine and the way I had everything set up. I liked the way my favourite chair was set up, the lighting, and where I stored my food and cooking supplies. I liked the privacy and the neighbourhood. Leaving law school is like a change of employment, residence, and social circle all at the same time. There's also the "What do I do now?" element. Articling does not start for a few months. There's the bar exam to study for of course, but PR and civil procedure has got to be the most boring thing I have ever read.

Some people reading this might understand, and others might wonder WTF I'm talking about. But I'm sure I'll get over it in a week at most.

• Like 2

Dinsdale
  • Lawyer

I think it's only human nature to feel nostalgic and perhaps a bit sad about such an important chapter of your life coming to a close.  I did.  I wouldn't call it "defeated", but I can understand why OP might.  The solution is to throw yourself into articling / your clerkship.  The feeling will quickly pass.

• Like 5