Derail from: How do I stay positive? (spliced)

Thrive92

Thrive92
  • Applicant

@HegdisWill it be okay if I put in some of the content from this spliced thread about how I am not a medical professional and that my advice is not medical advice but general advice? Otherwise, the original thread just ends with people questioning if im a medical professional, and I refusing to respond to it.

Personal attacks aside, Thrive, I think it’s fair to acknowledge that for some people, some medications are dangerous and you don’t know that ahead of time. There are risks and they can be serious risks. 

I have in mind the original Effexor, which ended up causing psychosis in some people. Twenty odd years ago it was my generation who were severely affected. They have reformulated it now, and no doubt it’s a positive life changing experience for many people now, and I am not trying to scare people off of medication generally - but so am equally wary of suggesting medication has no downside. It can. 

People who has ever experienced poor outcomes related to medication might not have this in mind, but those who have will obviously approach with caution. 

At least we all agree a doctor is best positioned to give individual advice. I think that’s clear. 

6 minutes ago, Thrive92 said:

@HegdisWill it be okay if I put in some of the content from this spliced thread about how I am not a medical professional and that my advice is not medical advice but general advice? Otherwise, the original thread just ends with people questioning if im a medical professional, and I refusing to respond to it.

Go for it. 

• Like 1

Thrive92
  • Applicant
13 minutes ago, Hegdis said:

Personal attacks aside, Thrive, I think it’s fair to acknowledge that for some people, some medications are dangerous and you don’t know that ahead of time. There are risks and they can be serious risks. 

I have in mind the original Effexor, which ended up causing psychosis in some people. Twenty odd years ago it was my generation who were severely affected. They have reformulated it now, and no doubt it’s a positive life changing experience for many people now, and I am not trying to scare people off of medication generally - but so am equally wary of suggesting medication has no downside. It can. 

People who has ever experienced poor outcomes related to medication might not have this in mind, but those who have will obviously approach with caution. 

At least we all agree a doctor is best positioned to give individual advice. I think that’s clear. 

As you have stated, yes I highly urged OP to go see a doctor to get prescriptions for anti anxiety/antidepressant medications. Notwithstanding the recent correction that I have received from BQ, my advice remains in place -- there are definitely negative side effects that may effect individuals more than others for certain medications, and in extreme cases there are medications that straight up did nothing but harm those who took them, but that should not be a reason to discourage the very plausible advice that antidepressant medications may help OP when combined with therapy.

I may seem to be stubborn here, but I really cannot understand how my advice can be seen as medical advice and be attacked and discouraged (aside from the error that I have made in regards to anti anxiety medications, which on the other hand should be fully deserving of discouragement). Antidepressant medication may do little to nothing for OP and result in unwanted side effects, or it may greatly aid in OP's current situation -- although there may be a risk that some doctors may recommend antidepressant medications that may later turn out to do nothing more than harm like Effexor, I believe prioritizing that risk over the potential benefits of this advice should not be the case.

But I do definitely understand your post and where you are coming from.

Also, may I reply to the original thread? Because I am not trying to stir up the crap pile from this derailed thread -- I think it is genuinely important for the readers to know that im not a medical professional and the advice I have given is not medical advice.

Edit: Just read your response -- thanks

Edited by Thrive92

1 hour ago, Thrive92 said:

And please know that I am not a medical professional nor are any of my advices given here medical advice; it pains me to actually type this out but apparently some people are hella confused and would jeer at me with statements like "I actually can’t believe a law student isn’t able to see the issue here."

This is a forum lousy with lawyers. Lawyers parse language and urge caution for a living. Did you think we weren’t going to be pro-disclaimer?

33 minutes ago, Thrive92 said:

I really cannot understand how my advice can be seen as medical advice

If you advise someone to get medicine, you have given medical advice. Even non-controversial medical advice is medical advice. 

• Like 1

Thrive92
  • Applicant
26 minutes ago, realpseudonym said:

This is a forum lousy with lawyers. Lawyers parse language and urge caution for a living. Did you think we weren’t going to be pro-disclaimer?

I would not describe what happened in this thread to be centered on "urging caution". I thought I would not be openly attacked and sworn at simply because of an advice that I have given that should be defined as "general knowledge" which instead has been twisted into being considered as medical advice.

26 minutes ago, realpseudonym said:

If you advise someone to get medicine, you have given medical advice. Even non-controversial medical advice is medical advice. 

I disagree. Advising someone to get "medicine" for an issue, such as telling a friend as children to apply "medication" on a scraped knee after falling down from a bicycle would not hold as "medical advice" should the friend apply a medication that is unsuitable for the injury and hence worsen the injury, which rightfully shouldn't be.

By telling that friend to "go to a doctor and get prescribed the appropriate medication for the issue" is giving advice to get medical advice from the doctor. Whether the advice is controversial or not was never an issue.

Aside from this, my statement of "a combination of counseling and medication are much more effective to combat depression than receiving one treatment at a time" is not medical advice any more than as the same information being typed out in a school textbook or a personal blog post is not medical advice.

I'm starting to doubt that you read this thread in its entirety or thoroughly enough to comment on its content. Let me know if you have any further comments, but only after you read the entire thread to know what you are typing about pretty please.

Edited by Thrive92