Waitlisted 2021

PacificOcean

26 minutes ago, Leyah said:

I was considering that when contemplating if I remain on the waitlist. I am hoping there are people who accepted but are still undecided. Maybe because of US offers or out of province Canadian offers. If they decide against Oz then spots will open up. That's probably like a handful of spots though. I am holding on to the little hope I have left.

Did anyone get accepted off of the waitlist? I remember seeing in the old forum someone got waitlisted for a week and then got accepted, but that was just one person. 

Your LSAT is not competitive. 

Why did you decline Windsor's offer?

• Like 1

Leyah
  • Applicant
3 hours ago, luckycharm said:

Your LSAT is not competitive. 

Why did you decline Windsor's offer?

I took the LSAT rushed because I didn't give myself enough time. I am retaking in August and plan on reapplying this cycle. My softs were strong, so the main issue was the LSAT. I got accepted to the MBA program at Schulich and want to do the joint program. I need to actualize my full potential so to speak. Nothing wrong with Windsor, perfectly fine school. But accepting an offer would mean I accept my LSAT score which I simply cannot, and if I get in off the waitlist by some miracle I still need to retake the LSAT for the joint program. Hopefully this explains why I declined with an LSAT that is not competitive.

The person who I mentioned got accepted off the Osgoode waitlist scored a 151 on the LSAT. 

Edited by Leyah

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
53 minutes ago, Leyah said:

The person who I mentioned got accepted off the Osgoode waitlist scored a 151 on the LSAT. 

151 is 10 points (or a whopping 35 percentile points) lower than the Oz median. I'm not saying it's completely impossible, but that's a truly exceptional situation and I wouldn't count on it even if your application was otherwise stellar with a perfect GPA and outstanding holistic factors and you were applying mature, access, or whathaveyou. But you even have a slightly below median GPA, so...yeah...I'm extremely surprised you even made the waitlist, to be honest. Osgoode almost certainly didn't do you any favours by doing that.

Not sure why you applied for Windsor if you were unwilling to accept an offer there as a backup school.

I also don't understand why you would attend a legal clerk program this fall if you intend to reapply to law schools next cycle. Total waste of money, effort and time (do you just want to be able to pretend you're doing something and being productive for that year?) and you should just work instead.

Not to be gratuitous, it's just that my reaction to your earlier posts was "wow, that was a terrible choice" before @luckycharm even responded, and the more you attempt to explain yourself the more confused about your decision-making process and goals I am. Literally nothing about what you're doing makes any sense.

Edited by CleanHands
  • Like 2

• Lawyer
6 hours ago, Leyah said:

I was considering that when contemplating if I remain on the waitlist. I am hoping there are people who accepted but are still undecided. Maybe because of US offers or out of province Canadian offers. If they decide against Oz then spots will open up. That's probably like a handful of spots though. I am holding on to the little hope I have left.

Did anyone get accepted off of the waitlist? I remember seeing in the old forum someone got waitlisted for a week and then got accepted, but that was just one person. 

Call Windsor back ASAP and say you accidentally turned down the offer. Maybe it isn't too late. 

Osgoode received 3600 applications this year for 290 seats. It's one of the most competitive schools to get into in the country and most people on the waitlist never get in. There are people on Osgoode's waitlist who already graduated from law school. It rarely moves. 

With below average stats like yours, you were extremely fortunate to get into any Canadian law school this cycle when law school applications exponentially went up. There is no guarantee that you will get into any school next year with those stats. Osgoode's medians are in the 3.7 cGPA and 160 LSAT range. People do get in with lower stats but these are the exceptions. 

No one cares where you went to law school after you start working. Windsor and Osgoode grads work together in many workplaces. Try to see if you can get the Windsor offer back; otherwise, reapply broadly next year, hope you get an offer, and take whatever you get. Because the alternative is that you don't become a lawyer at all. 

Why would you do a law clerk program if you want to be a lawyer and actually got into a law school but turned it down? This makes no sense at all. Just focus on studying for the LSAT and improving your score. 

8 hours ago, Leyah said:

I took the LSAT rushed because I didn't give myself enough time. I am retaking in August and plan on reapplying this cycle. My softs were strong, so the main issue was the LSAT. I got accepted to the MBA program at Schulich and want to do the joint program. I need to actualize my full potential so to speak. Nothing wrong with Windsor, perfectly fine school. But accepting an offer would mean I accept my LSAT score which I simply cannot, and if I get in off the waitlist by some miracle I still need to retake the LSAT for the joint program. Hopefully this explains why I declined with an LSAT that is not competitive.

I think I know who you are talking about. BUT her situation is exceptional and her GPA is very competitive.

Your chance for OZ is very slim but not impossible. 

Good luck

Edited by luckycharm

6 hours ago, Avatar Aang said:

Call Windsor back ASAP and say you accidentally turned down the offer. Maybe it isn't too late. 

Osgoode received 3600 applications this year for 290 seats. It's one of the most competitive schools to get into in the country and most people on the waitlist never get in. There are people on Osgoode's waitlist who already graduated from law school. It rarely moves. 

With below average stats like yours, you were extremely fortunate to get into any Canadian law school this cycle when law school applications exponentially went up. There is no guarantee that you will get into any school next year with those stats. Osgoode's medians are in the 3.7 cGPA and 160 LSAT range. People do get in with lower stats but these are the exceptions. 

No one cares where you went to law school after you start working. Windsor and Osgoode grads work together in many workplaces. Try to see if you can get the Windsor offer back; otherwise, reapply broadly next year, hope you get an offer, and take whatever you get. Because the alternative is that you don't become a lawyer at all. 

Why would you do a law clerk program if you want to be a lawyer and actually got into a law school but turned it down? This makes no sense at all. Just focus on studying for the LSAT and improving your score. 

I was on OZ 2012 wait list.

Still waiting for a reply 

Edited by luckycharm
  • LOL 2

Leyah
  • Applicant
12 hours ago, CleanHands said:

151 is 10 points (or a whopping 35 percentile points) lower than the Oz median. I'm not saying it's completely impossible, but that's a truly exceptional situation and I wouldn't count on it even if your application was otherwise stellar with a perfect GPA and outstanding holistic factors and you were applying mature, access, or whathaveyou. But you even have a slightly below median GPA, so...yeah...I'm extremely surprised you even made the waitlist, to be honest. Osgoode almost certainly didn't do you any favours by doing that.

Not sure why you applied for Windsor if you were unwilling to accept an offer there as a backup school.

I also don't understand why you would attend a legal clerk program this fall if you intend to reapply to law schools next cycle. Total waste of money, effort and time (do you just want to be able to pretend you're doing something and being productive for that year?) and you should just work instead.

Not to be gratuitous, it's just that my reaction to your earlier posts was "wow, that was a terrible choice" before @luckycharm even responded, and the more you attempt to explain yourself the more confused about your decision-making process and goals I am. Literally nothing about what you're doing makes any sense.

I am currently PTing in the mid to high 160's. Does that explain my decision making? And yes I do have exceptional holistic factors which is why I am assuming I made the waitlist and got accepted to Windsor. I decided to wait and reapply because of my progress on the LSAT. You are right about the law clerk program. I feel like a failure and I am trying to fake productivity. I do work and that wouldn't change whether or not I do the law clerk program. I did think it might be useful because it's not law school but it is a skill set that will be an asset as a legal assistant. I looked at legal assistant jobs and they all required the completion of the law clerk program. I thought that's the kind of work summer associates do and it might help me land a summer position after 1L, since I would also be going into law school next year with experience from work placement. 

Also, I wanted to add, I applied to law school before studying and taking the LSAT. I thought I would hit my ceiling or whatever score I got would be the best I could do. So I applied broadly. When I took the test in January I did not even understand conditional logic and could only finish 2 games and 2 passages. 

I like to think I am well thought out but this comments section is making me rethink my whole life. 

Edited by Leyah

legal101
  • Applicant
13 minutes ago, Leyah said:

I am currently PTing in the mid to high 160's. Does that explain my decision making? And yes I do have exceptional holistic factors which is why I am assuming I made the waitlist and got accepted to Windsor. I decided to wait and reapply because of my progress on the LSAT. You are right about the law clerk program. I feel like a failure and I am trying to fake productivity. I do work and that wouldn't change whether or not I do the law clerk program. I did think it might be useful because it's not law school but it is a skill set that will be an asset as a legal assistant. I looked at legal assistant jobs and they all required the completion of the law clerk program. I thought that's the kind of work summer associates do and it might help me land a summer position after 1L, since I would also be going into law school next year with experience from work placement. 

Also, I wanted to add, I applied to law school before studying and taking the LSAT. I thought I would hit my ceiling or whatever score I got would be the best I could do. So I applied broadly. When I took the test in January I did not even understand conditional logic and could only finish 2 games and 2 passages. 

I like to think I am well thought out but this comments section is making me rethink my whole life. 

i don’t want to criticize your choices but I also think it would’ve been best if you went to Windsor instead of doing the law clerk program which seems like a waste of time, especially bc you got into a law school. If Osgoode is your dream school, you always had the option of transferring without wasting a year and having a better shot bc ive heard thats less competetive. But i wish you all the best & hopefully it all works out! 

legallyblind
  • Law Student
21 minutes ago, Leyah said:

I definitely echo the sentiments of the other respondents as it is a bit perplexing that you declined the Windsor offer. Although with that being said I do acknowledge that there are several factors that only you would be privy to which could explain why Windsor wouldn't have been the right choice for you. I also agree that taking the legal clerk program wouldn't been the wisest way to spend your time or money. 

Overall I don't have anything new to add but I figured I would maybe leave some kinder words compared to the other harsh yet true feedback provided.

Edited by legallyblind
  • Like 1

halamadrid
  • Law Student

If you got into the MBA program at Schulich, can you start that and then reapply to Osgoode for next year? I assume since its a joint degree you would've had to do your first year at Schulich if I'm not mistaken? And even if you don't get into Osgoode next year, an MBA from Schulich is nothing to scoff at. 

ChillingReign
  • Applicant

Let's keep this thread to people who are posting about the waitlist. Their decision is valid and does not really concern anyone. It has no bearing on other applicants, and clearly their mind has been made on not going to Windsor. This thread has gotten extremely condescending even if intentions were pure.

Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

• Like 4

• Lawyer
3 hours ago, ChillingReign said:

Let's keep this thread to people who are posting about the waitlist. Their decision is valid and does not really concern anyone. It has no bearing on other applicants, and clearly their mind has been made on not going to Windsor. This thread has gotten extremely condescending even if intentions were pure.

Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Frankly speaking, I think the OP applying to Windsor, getting admitted only there, and then declining the offer is extremely condescending towards Windsor and people that have gone there. OP has the right to waste their money as they see fit and apply, but it's also a big waste of time for the admissions committee members that reviewed their application and admitted them.

Anyways, hopefully the OP gets into some schools next year that they actually want to attend.

@Leyah the law clerk program is a complete waste of time and money. Legal assistant, paralegal, and law clerks are different jobs than being a summer and articling student. These summer jobs are strictly for law students because they are meant to be training grounds for future lawyers. You don't go into a nursing program and compete with doctors for clinicals and residencies. The jobs are completely different. 

You can read more about the 1L and 2L recruitment here. 

https://ultravires.ca/2020/10/toronto-summer-2020-1l-recruitment-results/ 

http://ultravires.ca/2021/05/toronto-summer-2021-2l-recruit-numbers/ 

I apologize for derailing this thread and will not comment further. 

Apple
  • Lawyer
5 hours ago, Leyah said:

There's certainly some good advice that you've been given but there's also a lot of unnecessary commentary. Ignore the needless commentary. 

Your comments regarding Windsor could be construed as diminishing Windsor students but taken in the context of your statement as a whole this clear wasn't your intent at all. You want to push yourself from where you currently are to where you think you can be. This is commendable, takes guts and will build character that will be of great benefit to you. Keep pursuing this end. You're not selfish, nor are you condescending towards Windsor students or their admission committee for rejecting their offer and frankly I don't get why people have taken such a harsh tone towards you. People move from place to place all the time and reject offers from places they've been admitted to all the time. 

Law school and the application process can be confusing and is often filled with a number of twists and turns - even for the strongest of applicants. It often involves planning, reflecting and then replanning, which is what you're in the middle of doing. Even once some students are admitted they continue to reroute, with some moving to different schools. Once in the profession this rerouting continues as many lateral from workplace to workplace, from private to public and then back to private.

I encourage you to keep working at that LSAT score and prepare to reapply next cycle or even the one after that! If you're looking to build experience over the next year I definitely recommend against going into clerking but encourage you to seek employment at a firm in some other capacity or really work anywhere. All experience is valuable. In most of my interviews I've gone through, my time working in non-law places was always brought up and provided great stories to tell alongside enabling me to discuss the qualities which make me a good employee. I colleague of mine worked at a laser hair removal business during the summer of 1L and was hired at Davies the following summer. 

All this to say, you seem like you need some encouragement and I want to encourage you to keep pushing forward. You don't have to have everything figured out and if you're looking for some constructive advise there's plenty to be had here. But again, ignore the needless commentary. My PMs are open if you want any pointers as you prepare for the next cycle! 

• Like 5

Leyah
  • Applicant
5 hours ago, Avatar Aang said:

Frankly speaking, I think the OP applying to Windsor, getting admitted only there, and then declining the offer is extremely condescending towards Windsor and people that have gone there. OP has the right to waste their money as they see fit and apply, but it's also a big waste of time for the admissions committee members that reviewed their application and admitted them.

Anyways, hopefully the OP gets into some schools next year that they actually want to attend.

@Leyah the law clerk program is a complete waste of time and money. Legal assistant, paralegal, and law clerks are different jobs than being a summer and articling student. These summer jobs are strictly for law students because they are meant to be training grounds for future lawyers. You don't go into a nursing program and compete with doctors for clinicals and residencies. The jobs are completely different. 

You can read more about the 1L and 2L recruitment here. 

https://ultravires.ca/2020/10/toronto-summer-2020-1l-recruitment-results/ 

http://ultravires.ca/2021/05/toronto-summer-2021-2l-recruit-numbers/ 

I apologize for derailing this thread and will not comment further. 

I am very sorry if I came off as condescending to Windsor or Windsor students. I applied to Windsor because I would be happy to go there. I declined because I did not reach my LSAT potential. Please understand that that does not mean that I think I am better than Windsor or Windsor students. I want to get my best score possible and then go to law school. If I go to Windsor I will just accept the LSAT score I currently have because there will be no reason to improve it. If I get into Oz I will still need to retake the test for the joint program (JD/MBA). If I don't then I am fine reapplying this cycle. I admit I got sidetracked with the LSAT, it has become a goal in itself. But it is something I need to do. Never really thought I would have to explain this to a stranger on the internet, but here I am. 

Your critique of the legal clerk program is valid, as is everyone else's. I will no longer be doing it. Thank you for your advice, although it was unnecessarily harsh. 

• Like 2

Leyah
  • Applicant
5 hours ago, Apple said:

There's certainly some good advice that you've been given but there's also a lot of unnecessary commentary. Ignore the needless commentary. 

Your comments regarding Windsor could be construed as diminishing Windsor students but taken in the context of your statement as a whole this clear wasn't your intent at all. You want to push yourself from where you currently are to where you think you can be. This is commendable, takes guts and will build character that will be of great benefit to you. Keep pursuing this end. You're not selfish, nor are you condescending towards Windsor students or their admission committee for rejecting their offer and frankly I don't get why people have taken such a harsh tone towards you. People move from place to place all the time and reject offers from places they've been admitted to all the time. 

Law school and the application process can be confusing and is often filled with a number of twists and turns - even for the strongest of applicants. It often involves planning, reflecting and then replanning, which is what you're in the middle of doing. Even once some students are admitted they continue to reroute, with some moving to different schools. Once in the profession this rerouting continues as many lateral from workplace to workplace, from private to public and then back to private.

I encourage you to keep working at that LSAT score and prepare to reapply next cycle or even the one after that! If you're looking to build experience over the next year I definitely recommend against going into clerking but encourage you to seek employment at a firm in some other capacity or really work anywhere. All experience is valuable. In most of my interviews I've gone through, my time working in non-law places was always brought up and provided great stories to tell alongside enabling me to discuss the qualities which make me a good employee. I colleague of mine worked at a laser hair removal business during the summer of 1L and was hired at Davies the following summer. 

All this to say, you seem like you need some encouragement and I want to encourage you to keep pushing forward. You don't have to have everything figured out and if you're looking for some constructive advise there's plenty to be had here. But again, ignore the needless commentary. My PMs are open if you want any pointers as you prepare for the next cycle! 

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this. I am very appreciative of the encouragement. I do think constructive criticism is important, but there is a line between critiquing and berating – somehow it got blurred.  Thanks again, and I will definitely reach out. 

Edited by Leyah
  • Like 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
9 hours ago, ChillingReign said:

3 posts and you're a self-appointed mod here, eh?

• LOL 1

Leyah
  • Applicant
9 hours ago, halamadrid said:

If you got into the MBA program at Schulich, can you start that and then reapply to Osgoode for next year? I assume since its a joint degree you would've had to do your first year at Schulich if I'm not mistaken? And even if you don't get into Osgoode next year, an MBA from Schulich is nothing to scoff at. 

You can do the MBA or JD in your first year. Some students apply to the MBA during 1L, or vice versa. My goal is law school not an MBA. I know a Schulich MBA is absolutely nothing to scoff at. If I start in September, and I don't get into Osgoode next year, I will be locked in doing the MBA for 2 years while paying the full tuition. The great thing about the joint program is saving a year, along with a year of tuition. 90k+ is the cost and then trying to go to law school and paying law school tuition on top of that will be too much. I will only do a JD/MBA if I go to Oz. Otherwise, a JD alone. Hope that answered your questions. If you think of anything else, feel free to PM me. I think we're getting the thread off track.

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
13 minutes ago, Leyah said:

I am very sorry if I came off as condescending to Windsor or Windsor students. I applied to Windsor because I would be happy to go there. I declined because I did not reach my LSAT potential. Please understand that that does not mean that I think I am better than Windsor or Windsor students. I want to get my best score possible and then go to law school. If I go to Windsor I will just accept the LSAT score I currently have because there will be no reason to improve it. If I get into Oz I will still need to retake the test for the joint program (JD/MBA). If I don't then I am fine reapplying this cycle. I admit I got sidetracked with the LSAT, it has become a goal in itself. But it is something I need to do. Never really thought I would have to explain this to a stranger on the internet, but here I am. 

Your critique of the legal clerk program is valid, as is everyone else's. I will no longer be doing it. Thank you for your advice, although it was unnecessarily harsh. 

Look, no offence, but this is a dumb post.

You declined Windsor because you think you can get into a better law school than Windsor. That’s fine, own it. I didn’t even apply to Windsor when I applied, precisely because I thought I could get into a better law school.

Don’t pretend you declined Windsor because you actually just want to live up to your theoretical LSAT potential. 

Unless you actually did decline a law school offer simply because you want to live up to your theoretical LSAT potential. In which case, that’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. 

As an addition I’ll nominally direct at @Thrive92 but is applicable to a few of the earlier comments, I have no clue why people are getting the popcorn out for this one. OP thought they could get into a better school next cycle and declined. We encourage people to do that with foreign schools all the time, and nobody gets worked up about the poor Bond JD students who are being “condescended” to by those statements. There’s nothing wrong with doing the same for a Canadian school, and there really shouldn’t be any drama here. 

• Like 8

Wonderwoman
  • Applicant

Anyone know if there is any movement by August?  Or this is the end of those who are waitlisted.  Excuse my ignorance - does that mean we have to start all over again and reapply and compete with a new batch of applicants for 2022.  

DABMAN
  • Law School Admit
2 hours ago, Wonderwoman said:

Anyone know if there is any movement by August?  Or this is the end of those who are waitlisted.  Excuse my ignorance - does that mean we have to start all over again and reapply and compete with a new batch of applicants for 2022.  

Theres always people referencing that one person who got in a week before school starts so I guess theres always a chance but I would say movement is minimal.

Yes you would have to reapply and compete with the new 2021-2022 cohort for spots.

Athena911
  • Applicant

Dual JD or Osgoode Waitlist

Help! Should I accept Dual JD offer or take my chances and stay on the waitlisr for Osgoode? I have 24 hours to decide?!

Squirtle
  • Law Student
2 minutes ago, Athena911 said:

Dual JD or Osgoode Waitlist

Help! Should I accept Dual JD offer or take my chances and stay on the waitlisr for Osgoode? I have 24 hours to decide?!

To offer you constructive advice is a bit difficult. If you wouldn't attend the Dual program anyways and can afford to apply another cycle, then yes risk it, stay on the waitlist. Though, the chances of being admitted off the Oz waitlist at this point is I would predict with a degree of certainty very, very unlikely. If you want to start to your law school journey this year, then accept the Dual program, make the best with what you have and explore possible transfer options. 

Goblin King
  • Law Student
2 minutes ago, Athena911 said:

Is the Dual program significantly harder than single?

No. Its reputation is much worse and its cost is much higher though.

Edited by Goblin King