Forums & Negativity

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

You need better lawyer friends if more of them don't have beef with Dentons. 

How's that for negative 😛 

5 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

You need better lawyer friends if more of them don't have beef with Dentons. 

How's that for negative 😛 

I assume many of my lawyer friends probably think Dentons has something to do with dentistry. 

• LOL 2

I don't have feelings, so can't get those hurt, but I've been insulted here on occasion. Sometimes it's even warranted, like a few weeks ago when CleanHands said I was not well educated or informed on a particular topic that I actually post a lot about. I think that comment went a bit far, but there was certainly some truth to it. I have taken it to heart and intend to post even more on the topic so that discussions aren't dominated by insiders who "understand" it and bring my perspective as an outsider who just doesn't understand why the cops always beat up and kill people who are seemingly no serious threat to them, even if their cop manual permits it.

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
10 minutes ago, Jaggers said:

-Snip-

Bruh, show some balls and tag me.

For real though you can handle the bantz and roll with the punches and I respect that. Yeah, let's get some use of force discussion going again when it hits the news.

• Like 1

Thrive92
  • Applicant
5 minutes ago, Jaggers said:

I have never tagged anyone on this forum. How do you even do that? I'm too old to haggle over stuff like that!

You press the key "@" and then type the name "Cleanhands". There should be a list of names that pops up the moment you start typing the name

OK, I was joking about not literally knowing how to do it. I'm not as old as MOL! But it's not something that I bother doing, and I'm too old to change my habits.

• Like 1

Deadpool
  • Lawyer

It's the circle of life. Typically, those not in law school and in the early stages of their legal career, will be the most vocal group expressing concerns about forum rudeness, negativity, and toxicity. Fast-forward a bit and you have these same members becoming the very creatures they once despised so much. It is usually because many of these members are tired of seeing the same content ad nauseum and are wondering how people can be so naive, clueless, woefully ignorant, or not know how to use the search function. It's also a part of growing up because there is such as a thing as asking dumb or poorly worded questions, without first doing a baseline level of research; and when you ask dumb questions or express certain attitudes, it is easy to reflect back on your past-self and wonder how you could have been so naive or clueless. 

I try to generally couch my comments positively in online forums, as I find that people tend to listen more and it usually opens up my DMs for those seeking further insight or advice; but I also believe that there is a place - or a necessity even - to have more straight-to-the-point members like @CleanHandsand @BlockedQuebecois who do not hold back and will tell you like how it is. Because we need that side of the conversation, too. No one is intentionally trying to hurt someone's feelings on an online forum, especially coming from members that have been posting for years and whose identities are known by many people in real life. It is just the reality that when you seek out advice on an online medium, you are exposing yourself to the good and the bad, and people here are not invested in you on a personal level to predict how their choice of words or attitudes may offend someone. I would advise everyone to never take things personally here, and if you are bothered by certain comments or attitudes, feel free to express your disdain, but do not linger on them. Go watch a nice movie instead or spend time with your family. Rudeness and negativity on this forum is a pleasant experience compared to the shitstorm waiting for you in law school and the legal profession. It will train you well to have some perspective and know which battles are worth fighting, and which are not. God bless everyone.

Thrive92
  • Applicant
58 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

It's the circle of life. Typically, those not in law school and in the early stages of their legal career, will be the most vocal group expressing concerns about forum rudeness, negativity, and toxicity. Fast-forward a bit and you have these same members becoming the very creatures they once despised so much. It is usually because many of these members are tired of seeing the same content ad nauseum and are wondering how people can be so naive, clueless, woefully ignorant, or not know how to use the search function. It's also a part of growing up because there is such as a thing as asking dumb or poorly worded questions, without first doing a baseline level of research; and when you ask dumb questions or express certain attitudes, it is easy to reflect back on your past-self and wonder how you could have been so naive or clueless. 

I try to generally couch my comments positively in online forums, as I find that people tend to listen more and it usually opens up my DMs for those seeking further insight or advice; but I also believe that there is a place - or a necessity even - to have more straight-to-the-point members like @CleanHandsand @BlockedQuebecois who do not hold back and will tell you like how it is. Because we need that side of the conversation, too. No one is intentionally trying to hurt someone's feelings on an online forum, especially coming from members that have been posting for years and whose identities are known by many people in real life. It is just the reality that when you seek out advice on an online medium, you are exposing yourself to the good and the bad, and people here are not invested in you on a personal level to predict how their choice of words or attitudes may offend someone. I would advise everyone to never take things personally here, and if you are bothered by certain comments or attitudes, feel free to express your disdain, but do not linger on them. Go watch a nice movie instead or spend time with your family. Rudeness and negativity on this forum is a pleasant experience compared to the shitstorm waiting for you in law school and the legal profession. It will train you well to have some perspective and know which battles are worth fighting, and which are not. God bless everyone.

There is a straight - to - the - point way of typing things, and there is a nicer way of typing things. Both do its jobs in getting the content across, but one is nonetheless more preferred by not only law applicants, but in general as well. Neither one of these methods should be considered as a "necessity". If you are being rude and use profanity in your content in order to get your message across, I would rather receive no advice at all.

What matters more than this is that the content of what is being typed is factually correct. If you are being "straight - to - the - point" and also being incorrect, that's when I see you as someone that I pray would not personally meet in the future in the legal field.

Edited by Thrive92
  • Like 3

WiseGhost
  • Law Student

The slight rudeness of posters on this forum is part of what makes it entertaining. However, I do feel that commenters here could do a better job from refraining from meanness when it isn't necessary. Yes, sometime OPs might have unrealistic beliefs about where their LSAT and GPA can get them, but dogpiling them with comments that cross the line from frank to slightly callous won't help. 

Applying to law school is a difficult process, and so many applicants (like I do to a degree) attach their feelings of self worth to being accepted to the law school/s of their choice. I think we should try to be kind but realistic. 

TheMidnightOil
  • Law Student

As a clueless and doe-eyed 1L, the critical tone on this forum (and the old one) actually helps keep me accountable. I generally try to be very careful not to offer information/advice unless I'm truly confident about it (and if I'm not, I try to provide disclaimers). This attention to my lack of knowledge is only reinforced by the paralyzing fear of getting (Diplock/BQ/CleanHands)'d.

• Like 7
  • Nom! 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
2 minutes ago, TheMidnightOil said:

As a clueless and doe-eyed 1L, the critical tone on this forum (and the old one) actually helps keep me accountable. I generally try to be very careful not to offer information/advice unless I'm truly confident about it (and if I'm not, I try to provide disclaimers). This attention to my lack of knowledge is only reinforced by the paralyzing fear of getting (Diplock/BQ/CleanHands)'d.

I like you.

If only people like @TheCryptozoologist would internalize this lesson this forum would have consistently fantastic quality advice.

(BTW whatever else anyone may say about me, other than dunking on Blakes I never talk BigLaw/corporate law because I dunno a damn thing about it and it's outside my wheelhouse. I agree we should leave advice-giving to people with something to offer.)

• Like 2

TheMidnightOil
  • Law Student
Just now, CleanHands said:

I like you.

Bro this is legit one of the highest compliments I've ever received.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
3 minutes ago, TheMidnightOil said:

Bro this is legit one of the highest compliments I've ever received.

I wish there was a "thanks but sad" react.

• LOL 2

23 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

I like you.

8 minutes ago, Mustang said:

I still love you @CleanHands

28 minutes ago, TheMidnightOil said:

Would the three of you like the rest of us to leave so that you can be alone? Can I reserve you an Airbnb or something? 

I mean FFS, I write one nice pro-negativity post, and suddenly people are declaring their love for @CleanHands

• LOL 10

2 minutes ago, realpseudonym said:

Would the three of you like the rest of us to leave so that you can be alone? Can I reserve you an Airbnb or something? 

I mean FFS, I write one nice pro-negativity post, and suddenly people are declaring their love for @CleanHands

Air bnb’s are nice, maybe a few brews with the lads? That’s a real good idea actually

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, realpseudonym said:

Another canlawforums classic at work: a thread spontaneously morphing into a discussion so far removed from what the OP intended that they wish they could undo what they've done (starting the thread)

Edited by AllanC
  • Like 3

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
3 minutes ago, Rashabon said:

I'm always nice to everyone and I think people should follow my lead.

Conservatives aren't human beings so they don't count, I assume. :nom:

• LOL 1

GGrievous
  • Law Student

I’m glad this turned into a @CleanHandsappreciation thread because that guy rules and is genuinely someone I look up to as an aspiring criminal lawyer. I’ve kind of wanted an excuse to voice my appreciation but felt it sounded super lame. I acknowledge it sounds that way now anyway… but since everyone is doing it. 

Edited by Barry
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

TheMidnightOil
  • Law Student
16 minutes ago, Barry said:

I’m glad this turned into a @CleanHandsappreciation thread because that guy rules and is genuinely someone I look up to as an aspiring criminal lawyer. I’ve kind of wanted an excuse to voice my appreciation but felt it sounded super lame. I acknowledge it sounds that way now anyway… but since everyone is doing it. 

Agreed. Dude's the sort of lawyer I aspire to be. I imagine we're not the only law students / recent lawyers who think this.

Although, you can't deny that there's something pretty funny about how a thread called "Forums & Negativity" ended up centering on him 😆

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1