Is Uvic Law open to Diverse Views or only Left Wing?

SecondCareerLaw

efrefgg
  • Undergrad
16 minutes ago, SecondCareerLaw said:

"For the record, I went to uvic".?? If so, good luck with that!

Hmm, yes. "Good luck with doing something you accomplished in the past." 

I, too, assumed that azure did not yet go to Uvic, but he is about to step into a time machine to convince his younger self to attend Uvic. Should everything go smoothly, he will have studied law at Uvic many years ago. I will soon check back on this thread to learn that the quoted section was never posted, along with this very comment. 

P.S. I'm loving your character, pm me and I'll send you my discord so we can coordinate advanced trolling operations.

Edit: special thanks to Kobe for giving me the last laugh needed for my "Comedian" badge. You have my eternal gratitude.

Edited by efrefgg
  • LOL 6
  • Nom! 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
6 minutes ago, Kobe said:

If you read this as anything but trolling at this point Idk what to tell you.

*Person states why there opinion is relevant* "Is that a threat!?!"

"Say that to me in person and I'd knock your teeth out"

At least we now know that his mysterious profession paying $150k/year that he wants to continue while in law school is being a Navy Seal with 50 confirmed kills.

Edited by CleanHands
  • LOL 6

99problems
  • Lawyer

I never really thought about the political inclinations of the schools I applied to because it wouldn't affect me as much as you think.

I go to Osgoode (no threat), and other than some friendly discussions with my close friend, who has an MA in Political Science, I never had any discussions over politics with anyone. I don't recall we had some sort of political debate going on either.

From my perspective, people tend to keep these types of ideas to themselves. But if you tried to push your political ideas down your peers' throats, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried and shoved those opinions up your ass.

Re the type of response you are receiving: this forum and its users are a good sample of the legal community. In fact, the user database includes senior lawyer, benchers, associates, students, and even applicants. Granted the tone of some people is harsher when they are anonymous, but if you, while keeping this type of attitude, think that the legal community will treat you any differently , you are wrong.

• Like 3

SlytherinLLP
  • Lawyer
15 minutes ago, SecondCareerLaw said:

Most people in the native communities don't give a shit what word you use. Native, indigenous, First Nations, etc. For those that do, you find a lot of different views as to which is preferred. What a lot of people DON'T like, is shallow political correctness about serious issues that don't have anything to do with what you call them, the issues that is. As for whether a proff would try to regulate the words used, that is worth looking into in the case of UVic.....

Nor do you have the slightest knowledge of my background or race so you can check your assumptions at the door before saying something you would seriously regret in person.

Taking objection to your use of language ("native issues") has nothing to do with PC.

Anyone with an iota of basic decency/sensibility would take issue. It's like characterizing reproductive rights as "lady issues" or racism as "negro problems". It's condescending and belittling. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, SecondCareerLaw said:

Most people in the native communities don't give a shit what word you use. Native, indigenous, First Nations, etc.

I mean, it kind of sounds like you know very little about the topic, since you lump "First Nations" in with all the other terms. If you had any education in the area, you would know that the various names are not interchangeable.

In any event, it in fact matters very much to the very people to whom you are being glibly dismissive. I don't think getting the terms right is in any way "shallow political correctness".

It's kind of how calling a gay person in passing "a homosexual", while certainly academically correct, is kind of insulting to many in the gay community, so we just don't do it. That's not shallow political correctness.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

99problems
  • Lawyer
2 minutes ago, Ryn said:

It's kind of how calling a gay person in passing "a homosexual", while certainly academically correct, is kind of insulting to many in the gay community, so we just don't do it.

Not to derail this thread as it is the sole source of my entertainment these days.

But, is it really offensive? I was under the impression that "gay" is more insulting since it's being used more frequently in conversations.

Kobe
  • Law Student
6 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

At least we now know that his mysterious profession paying $150k/year that he wants to continue while in law school is being a Navy Seal with 50 confirmed kills.

You just have to tip your hat to OP in this regard, despite being a top ranking navy seal he wants to further his education, uncanny.

15 minutes ago, efrefgg said:

Edit: special thanks to Kobe for giving me the last laugh needed for my "Comedian" badge. You have my eternal gratitude.

I am glad I could be a part of this special moment ❤️

• Like 1
  • Nom! 1

efrefgg
  • Undergrad

Homosexual sounds very science-y, now that I think of it. It's kinda like calling a person a homo sapiens. Not quite mean, but somewhat off-putting. Ideal for when you and your colleagues are observing the gay through a layer of one-way glass or from a raised catwalk. They don't know you're there, but you are enthusiastically scribbling down the effects produced by giving them sugar cubes laced with experimental medicine. It's an OK term for use in some normal situations, of course, but it isn't being used to its full effect.

SecondCareerLaw
  • Applicant
32 minutes ago, Diplock said:

Speaking as a criminal defence lawyer, I can absolutely confirm that the legal profession is accessible to individuals such as the OP who insists on turning even normal social interactions into whatever the hell this is. I don't disagree that the original guess as to his issues and perspective was warranted. Any thread that starts with "I'm so balanced and free-thinking in my perspectives that I'm afraid I won't be accepted in law school" has so many assumptions and issues baked into it that the warning signs are clear, to anyone who knows what they look like. That said, if I'm going to give a fair answer, can someone like this succeed in law school and get into the legal profession, assuming the grades, LSAT, and academic ability are there to support it? Yes. Because God knows I have colleagues just like that.

So, OP, you have the answer you were looking for, and also the argument you were asking for. There isn't anything that's going to keep you out of the legal profession - not even your deep-seated suspicion that people who disagree with you are trying to do just that. But I also suspect you habour this hope that if you only get into a room of smart enough and well-enough educated people, they'll suddenly realize how much sense you are making and in contrast to everyone else in your life to this point (i.e. people too dumb to recognize your obvious intelligence) you'll find acceptance. That isn't going to happen either. Because your problem isn't that you have views opposed to some leftist consensus. It's just that you're being a dick about it.

In summary, there are dicks in the legal profession, and you can certainly be one if you want to and you're capable of getting that far. But other people in the legal profession are still going to know that you're a dick, and treat you accordingly.

Diplock,

I appreciate the thoughtful aspects of your reply, but honestly the posts on this forum are in a lot of cases so obviously toxic that it is difficult to understand how could consider these "normal" interactions. Even the personal assumptions you make are waaayy wrong and to be honest to even speculate on as these were not solicited. There seems to be something pretty off about the legal profession, at least to the extent on this forum. Even referring to the person you are talking to as a "dick" is not normal social interaction and quite ironic. Clearly you are not aware of that. Which again, speaks to some serious social issues here. 

By the way, there are most definitely and undercurrent of people at Uvic law in complete agreement with questions I have raised and no quams about how it has been raised, aside from the fact the question is a bit provocative to those with a certain political bent or tendency to bully their views. I can only assume the conflations and reframing are a result of taking this personally. To add, arguments are valid, but most of this is not arguing but speculative venting. 

Edited by SecondCareerLaw
  • LOL 2

efrefgg
  • Undergrad

Despite the goofballery of the OP, some of these replies are probably going to help people out in the future. It may look like a joke, but this is the optimal CLF thread: informative and entertaining simultaneously.

• Like 2

WhoKnows
  • Lawyer
38 minutes ago, not not a lawyer said:

Granted the tone of some people is harsher when they are anonymous,

Not to nitpick here, but if you're ever at 5pm on closing date and the other side still hasn't sent through the agreement they said they would send two days ago, you'll likely find people are just as harsh in real life as they are here, probably even harsher. There is nothing I have seen on this forum that I would be surprised to see from certain members of the bar. 

• Like 3

SecondCareerLaw
  • Applicant
38 minutes ago, Ryn said:

I mean, it kind of sounds like you know very little about the topic, since you lump "First Nations" in with all the other terms. If you had any education in the area, you would know that the various names are not interchangeable.

In any event, it in fact matters very much to the very people to whom you are being glibly dismissive. I don't think getting the terms right is in any way "shallow political correctness".

It's kind of how calling a gay person in passing "a homosexual", while certainly academically correct, is kind of insulting to many in the gay community, so we just don't do it. That's not shallow political correctness.

Clearly you're education is almost non-existent. You did a course in university on the topic. Good for you.  Try spending time in Native communities with an open mind and get to know people. THAT's an education you can hang your hat on.

Of course words matter.

• LOL 1

SecondCareerLaw
  • Applicant

I'm going to sign off here. Once the administrator weighs in personally, it's clear things have gone wrong, very wrong. 

Best to you Canadian Law Forum 🙂

Thanks to those with thoughtful normal human replies. To the rest,

SEEYA!!!!

• Like 1

GGrievous
  • Law Student
7 minutes ago, SecondCareerLaw said:

Thanks to those with thoughtful normal human replies

You’re welcome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 6

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
23 minutes ago, SecondCareerLaw said:

Once the administrator weighs in personally, it's clear things have gone wrong, very wrong. 

It's really refreshing to see this kind of self reflection. I am glad you have recognized how wrong you are. Wishing you the best ❤️

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kobe said:

If you read this as anything but trolling at this point Idk what to tell you.

*Person states why there opinion is relevant* "Is that a threat!?!"

"Say that to me in person and I'd knock your teeth out"

I really don't want to respond to OP since it does seem like trollery but since I've been brought up personally and my good name rests on it....

Obviously I mentioned I went to UVic to show that I'm familiar with the culture there and was not making a threat (lol).

I mentioned what I did because I honestly think if you used inappropriate terminology in a UVic law class, that someone in your class would say something and you are likely to offend many others. If you don't have a progressive attitude towards reconciliation with Indigenous peoples and the role of Indigenous laws in our legal system (or at least have an open mind to learning about it), I think you would have a hard time fitting in at UVic Law. 

Edited by azure
clarified responding to OP
  • Like 3

HammurabiTime
  • Lawyer

The expiry date on the trolls on this forum seems markedly shorter than on LS.ca. I'm not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand, it can be nice to have a familiar cast of characters and a real depth to the trollery. On the other, the 'monster of the week' style we've got going on here certainly keeps it fresh and exciting.

• Thanks 1
  • LOL 2
  • Nom! 2

6 hours ago, realpseudonym said:

The conspiratorial part of my brain wonders whether these are all ingenious @Hegdis alt accounts, designed to unite the forums. 

To quote the guy answering for “New Coke”: I am not that smart, and I am not that stupid. 

3 hours ago, SecondCareerLaw said:

I'm going to sign off here. Once the administrator weighs in personally, it's clear things have gone wrong, very wrong. 

Best to you Canadian Law Forum 🙂

Thanks to those with thoughtful normal human replies. To the rest,

SEEYA!!!!

Byeeeeeeeee!!!!!

chilly
  • Law Student

For anyone who comes in here looking for an answer to the subject line question:

The faculty and student body overall are quite left-leaning. There's still a range of different views. You will be fine so long as you aren't a prick.  Individual people are multifaceted, and views differ based on topics.

The cohort has people who have some right-leaning political opinions, we all get along.

To echo what other posters have said: Putting in a bit of work before asking and being sensitive about difficult questions goes a long way. As with anything else, respect and mindfulness are important to get anywhere.

People here are ridiculously nice--even nice to people who are jerks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

brokenegg
  • Law School Admit
13 hours ago, SecondCareerLaw said:

Funny you mention that. Years ago I had a room mate who had graduate from Windsor who had the same complaint. That was 2006. 

Totally get the distinctions you make between principled views on things like taxes and and prejudice. There has to be prohibitions against wanton prejudice and hate against particular groups. Thanks for your view. 

On thing, I for one am not right wing. Definitely left on certain issues.

However you are making a lot of assumptions about someone being "fun" and "interesting". Wow. How judgmental. And based on next to zero information. Just wow.

I also never said I had issues from the past. It's all your projections!!  Maybe ask: what within you makes you come to such assumptions?? 

Ahh I see, you are basing the assumption based on past experience with "contrarian and centrist". Well that is definitely projecting too. I guess as a left wing person maybe you have had a lot of arguments and left not feeling heard or understood, which is probably exactly how the other side felt as well. 

I'm all for mature applicants but please remember that we are no longer in the 1960s and some of your boomer views are not going to fly anymore. 

Anyway, as others have stated, if your attitude and views have not been an issue before law school, they won't be an issue in law school either. You making an account on a forum to ask if people will be okay with your views leads me to infer that your views may actually be problematic and make others uncomfortable which is why you’re so stressed.