chances

ellewoodswannabe
  • Applicant

Following !! Similar stats. 159, GPA 90.56. Index- 92.42. Sending up a prayer for us both ! 

• Like 1

LordBONSAI
  • Applicant

I've got a 92.21 index. I think we all stand a good chance considering the decline of applicants and high LSAT scorers this cycle. 

law000099
  • Law School Admit

Well, I contacted UBC and I'd be considered borderline and the personal statement is going to matter a lot but there definitely is a chance.

Hope this helps.

elle.woods
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, AustonMatthews34 said:

Well, I contacted UBC and I'd be considered borderline and the personal statement is going to matter a lot but there definitely is a chance.

Hope this helps.

Hi!! They told you this straight up when reaching out to them? I'm thinking I should contact them as well - I'm starting to get worried. I haven't calculated my index exactly, but my stats are LSAT 166 / GPA 85~ with drops so index around 92.3. 

abouttime
  • Law School Admit
26 minutes ago, elle.woods said:

Hi!! They told you this straight up when reaching out to them? I'm thinking I should contact them as well - I'm starting to get worried. I haven't calculated my index exactly, but my stats are LSAT 166 / GPA 85~ with drops so index around 92.3. 

Hey, 

My index is the same and they told me it will come down to my personal statement. They mentioned that this year is at least as competitive as last year as well. 

The wait sucks but keep in mind that the acceptance deadline for those who received an offer is March 1st, so they will probably do their next batch after hearing back from the ones they already sent an offer to.

Edited by abouttime

elle.woods
  • Law Student
26 minutes ago, abouttime said:

Hey, 

My index is the same and they told me it will come down to my personal statement. They mentioned that this year is at least as competitive as last year as well. 

The wait sucks but keep in mind that the acceptance deadline for those who received an offer is March 1st, so they will probably do their next batch after hearing back from the ones they already sent an offer to.

Thanks! Ahh so hard to not be discouraged by this. I had my hopes up after being admitted to UVIC alongside other schools during their first round. UBC is my top pick and would be a dream to be able to go. I really hope my PS is good enough. 

YTY
  • Applicant
3 hours ago, AustonMatthews34 said:

Hope this helps.

What does your application status appear as online?

knowingnothing
  • Applicant

I'm getting more anxious after reading this. My index score is 92.18. So this year's index is higher than 92? Any guess how high it is?

LordBONSAI
  • Applicant
56 minutes ago, Bottlebottle said:

welp.. i was hopeful with my 166 / 82% which is an index score of 91.5ish??? fml

Last cycle below 92 was not competitive. I believe the lowest index admitted in the general category was 91.7ish

Edited by LordBONSAI

law000099
  • Law School Admit
3 hours ago, YTY said:

What does your application status appear as online?

File Complete - Awaiting Evaluation

elle.woods
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, knowingnothing said:

I'm getting more anxious after reading this. My index score is 92.18. So this year's index is higher than 92? Any guess how high it is?

With what I've read, and how someone above said the admin office confirmed this cycle is about just as competitive, I would say yes, probably higher than 92. I applied last year with a 166 LSAT & 84.2 GPA (confirmed by ubc) so a 92.11 index, and I was waitlisted & ranked in the 70s. My GPA should be higher this year with my fourth year grades but I'm getting super anxious as well. 

Edited by elle.woods

theroaringbadger
  • Law School Admit
2 minutes ago, elle.woods said:

Unfortunately yes, last year's cycle was easily above 92. I applied last year with a 166 LSAT & 84.2 GPA (confirmed by ubc) so a 91.11 index, and I was waitlisted & ranked in the 70s. My GPA should be higher this year with my fourth year grades but I'm getting super anxious as well. 

UBC does not consider ur 4th year grades if ur in your 4th year. 

elle.woods
  • Law Student
Just now, theroaringbadger said:

UBC does not consider ur 4th year grades if ur in your 4th year. 

I'm not in my fourth year! I graduated in the spring. That's why my GPA should be higher now that they will use them in their calculation. 

theroaringbadger
  • Law School Admit
Just now, elle.woods said:

I'm not in my fourth year! I graduated in the spring. That's why my GPA should be higher now that they will use them in their calculation. 

Awesome. Lucky you then 

LordBONSAI
  • Applicant
15 minutes ago, elle.woods said:

With what I've read, and how someone above said the admin office confirmed this cycle is about just as competitive, I would say yes, probably higher than 92. I applied last year with a 166 LSAT & 84.2 GPA (confirmed by ubc) so a 91.11 index, and I was waitlisted & ranked in the 70s. My GPA should be higher this year with my fourth year grades but I'm getting super anxious as well. 

I think 166 and 84.2 get you a 92.11. If there were at least 70 people before you last cycle, then the index score could very well be somewhere close to 92.5. I'm just curious how both medians remained almost unchanged with that big leap of index scores.

Edited by LordBONSAI

elle.woods
  • Law Student
8 minutes ago, LordBONSAI said:

I think 166 and 84.2 get you a 92.11. If there were at least 70 people before you last cycle, then the index score could very well be somewhere close to 92.5. I'm just curious how both medians remained almost unchanged with that big leap of index scores.

Sorry that was totally my bad, I did mean 92.11! 

• Like 1

elle.woods
  • Law Student
22 minutes ago, theroaringbadger said:

Awesome. Lucky you then 

It really is too bad UBC doesn't look at least the first semester. Wishing you the best of luck!! 

abouttime
  • Law School Admit
4 hours ago, elle.woods said:

Thanks! Ahh so hard to not be discouraged by this. I had my hopes up after being admitted to UVIC alongside other schools during their first round. UBC is my top pick and would be a dream to be able to go. I really hope my PS is good enough. 

I know! Same here, especially hearing back from UVic. I am going to do myself a favor and block this website and delete discord for a month. I mean now we know the next batch is in March, so we can stress less in the meantime. And we have backup options right now.

LordBONSAI
  • Applicant
18 minutes ago, abouttime said:

I know! Same here, especially hearing back from UVic. I am going to do myself a favor and block this website and delete discord for a month. I mean now we know the next batch is in March, so we can stress less in the meantime. And we have backup options right now.

UBC had a wave in mid Feb last year. I don't think they're going to wait until March to release more offers since the Jan LSAT scores are already out.

Edited by LordBONSAI

knowingnothing
  • Applicant
11 hours ago, LordBONSAI said:

I'm just curious how both medians remained almost unchanged with that big leap of index scores.

I mean if the top quarter had the stats higher than usual but rest three quarters remained the same, they could still keep the old medians. Maybe the 92+ index score means higher averages? 

Edited by knowingnothing

Long winded response but will have valuable information so bear with me.

I called UBC recently. I asked about percentages and 4.0 scale schools. He said if your school uses percentages, they just average them. So, the highest a 4.0 scale student could acheive is 90% (with an all A+ transcript) where as percentage schools could be above 90.

I then asked if 4.0 schools are at a disadvantage, and he said slightly. However they said they realize this, and as such give less weight to GPA now and transfer it to PS/LSAT, saying they are all roughly 1/3.

So I interpreted this to mean they are taking a more holistic approach this year. Not purely stats. So I am guessing if you're in a certain range of index score - then your PS is what will seperate you. Not having 0.02 more on your index compared to the next person. But this is just speculation based on the previous 2 paragraphs.

Edited by qsizzle
typo
  • Like 3

knowingnothing
  • Applicant
21 minutes ago, qsizzle said:

So, the highest a 4.0 scale student could acheive is 90% (with an all A+ transcript) where as percentage schools could be above 90.

I thought the highest UBC gpa for a 4.0 is 86, and 90 for a 4.33?