Sex work and law

Glamurosa

CheeseToast
  • Law Student
11 minutes ago, Rashabon said:

Alright, suit yourself. For anyone else reading, reminder that I'm actually a lawyer and have been in big law for years and this guy is a law student with less than zero experience, so believe who you want about the frequency of meeting with and interacting with clients as a junior.

Meeting and interacting with clients =/= schmoozing champ. 

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
24 minutes ago, CheeseToast said:

Meeting and interacting with clients =/= schmoozing champ. 

Lol okay. Whatever makes you happy, kiddo. You win. Having client schmoozing skills is not useful until you're a big shot partner buying bottle service in Vegas and snorting blow.

• Like 2

I am now a "client". Probably regarded as a pretty big one, and before covid, I went to a bunch of events a year where I talked to lawyers from our firms, and they always invite junior people either who work on our cases, or who have the skills to do so in the future. This includes lunches, dinners, cocktail parties, boxes at Raptors games (I get invites to the Leafs too, but I hate hockey), charity golf tournaments, etc. The junior lawyers are always there, which makes sense because while they're not the people I would go to with a major case or question, they're the people my cases get assigned to and I interact with on a daily basis.

I don't really go to conferences any more. In house lawyers generally don't have much budget for that.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jaggers said:

I am now a "client". Probably regarded as a pretty big one

In a thread about sex work, I enjoyed reading this out of context. 

• Like 6
  • LOL 7

If only I had the time. But I have a toddler, so no.

It is 10:40 and I just finished doing the dishes. I go into the office once a week, but otherwise sit in my home office chair. Sometimes I go out on the balcony, but that's about as far as I usually get from my desk in any given day. And even that is iffy, given the weather over the last few months.

WhoKnows
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, Rashabon said:

Lol okay. Whatever makes you happy, kiddo. You win. Having client schmoozing skills is not useful until you're a big shot partner buying bottle service in Vegas and snorting blow.

Also, meeting and interacting with clients is kinda the best kind of schmoozing, and can be super advantageous to your standing within the firm and your own business development. I have (smaller) clients who come back to me specifically for their work because I built that relationship after being introduced by a partner, and now run their file. I also have files I am on with a partner where we got a mandate in-part because they knew the quality of my work and the fact I could do more meant they would be buying less partner time. Interacting with clients in a way that gives partners trust that they can tell you to go take the meeting alone is schmoozing. In fact, during COVID, it was some of the only schmoozing you could do.

Edited by WhoKnows
  • Like 1

AMG
  • Law Student
6 hours ago, CleanHands said:

Ah, well I have always looked like shit so I guess that's a factor where you're the one who needs to do the adjusting and we're even.

Looks like I'm fit for government...

Philosophy
  • Law Student
13 minutes ago, AMG said:

Are government lawyers allowed to drive AMGs?

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
15 minutes ago, AMG said:

Unlike the vast majority of private lawyers, we don't have firm bios with headshots. 😉

AMG
  • Law Student
8 minutes ago, Philosophy said:

Are government lawyers allowed to drive AMGs?

Gotta drive something as inefficient as I am😉

7 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

Unlike the vast majority of private lawyers, we don't have firm bios with headshots. 😉

Nobody has to know until they get scared off in court, my kinda place!

• LOL 2

8 hours ago, Diplock said:

If you end up deciding that you really do what to spend the most effective years of your career making sure some corporation pays the least amount of tax possible, and if you derive satisfaction from that, more power to you.

Don't listen to this. Tax is the best career out there.   Just ask anyone with glasses and a faintly manic expression.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

Glamurosa
  • Law School Admit

I am  thoroughly disappointed that no one laughed at my joke about no longer being able to write off my asthetic stuff.

6 minutes ago, Glamurosa said:

I am  thoroughly disappointed that no one laughed at my joke about no longer being able to write off my asthetic stuff.

I would consult a tax professional if you are trying to write off hair, make up, or clothing expenses.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Glamurosa
  • Law School Admit
4 minutes ago, Kurrika said:

I would consult a tax professional if you are trying to write off hair, make up, or clothing expenses.

I have, in sex work it's legit because it's part of marketing/branding. All my lingerie, anything I use in photoshoots, the photoshoots themselves etc. I have Makeup I use specifically for work, I rarely wear makeup in my day to day life. Just can't write off any plastic surgery 🙄 but injectables are fine. 

There's a joke in here somewhere about all the blow outs I write off.

Edited by Glamurosa

Glamurosa
  • Law School Admit
1 minute ago, mistertubby said:

why even go into law, youre clearly better suited for comedy 

I appreciate the recognition of my talents 😌

allrise1
  • Law School Admit
5 minutes ago, Glamurosa said:

I appreciate the recognition of my talents 😌

If we ever meet I have an absurd amount of questions 

Glamurosa
  • Law School Admit
6 minutes ago, allrise1 said:

If we ever meet I have an absurd amount of questions 

My sex work consultation rates are $400/hr 😉

allrise1
  • Law School Admit
4 minutes ago, Glamurosa said:

My sex work consultation rates are $400/hr 😉

Not sure why you would ever bother with law school at that rate

• Nom! 1

Glamurosa
  • Law School Admit
1 minute ago, allrise1 said:

Hourly rate doesn't translate to any specific income. There isn't 40 hrs of paid work in this industry, at that rate, a week, and trying to work even half of that is a good way to burn out and hate the work. 

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
9 hours ago, WhoKnows said:

Also, meeting and interacting with clients is kinda the best kind of schmoozing, and can be super advantageous to your standing within the firm and your own business development. I have (smaller) clients who come back to me specifically for their work because I built that relationship after being introduced by a partner, and now run their file. I also have files I am on with a partner where we got a mandate in-part because they knew the quality of my work and the fact I could do more meant they would be buying less partner time. Interacting with clients in a way that gives partners trust that they can tell you to go take the meeting alone is schmoozing. In fact, during COVID, it was some of the only schmoozing you could do.

Yes, this is exactly right. Getting drunk at a strip club may be fine if you're a cheese dick, but that's not the "schmoozing" 99% of lawyers engage in. Clients that start reaching out to you directly such that the relationship partner has less to do are some of the best ways to grow your career in big law because you become the client contact and people recognize that. I build a big chunk of my practice exactly the way you describe and it has paid dividends for me and continues to do so.

• Like 2

GGrievous
  • Law Student
9 minutes ago, allrise1 said:

Not everyone goes to law school for money.

• Like 1

Glamurosa
  • Law School Admit
Just now, Barry said:

That too.

allrise1
  • Law School Admit
2 minutes ago, Barry said:

Half this thread was about jokes but nobody picked up mine I guess 

• Hugs 2