Suits

RickyBubbles01

HarryCrane
  • Articling Student
On 6/28/2021 at 1:44 PM, goodisgood said:

Hi all, I'm looking to get a new suit so I have at least one that fits properly. I've read mixed reviews about Indochino and SuitSupply. I'm looking for something ideally under $600, fitted. Not sure if anyone has any ideas other than the two I already mentioned?

Indochino is great, but give yourself 6 weeks or so buffer to when you need it. Quality is there when its on sale and they incentivize buying multiple suits, so you can get a great deal, but its common to have to get a round or two of alterations done. 

If you're in a major city (Calgary, Vancouver, Toronto) go to the outlet mall and hit up a Hugo Boss outlet (or any company that has suits). I found a clearance suit for like $250, and they always have some sort of promo going on. You'll get a really cheap suit of pretty good quality and can get it tailored.

AllWellAndGood
  • Lawyer

If you're doing Indochino, I can say from experience that:

1. You will likely need to wait 8+ weeks to receive it;
  2. They will likely need to make adjustments (in a major city, you can bring it into the storefront)
  3. If you subscribe to their mailing list, you can usually find a 30-60% off promotion by waiting a few weeks. Buying full price from them is for suckers.
  • Like 3

undertheletter
  • Law Student

Harry Rosen is having a 50% sale on quite a few Hugo Boss suits. Wasn’t planning on buying, but the price and fit was right. You could get a full super 120 suit for ~450.

ETA: online stock looks to be priced closer to 500. YMMV in-store.

Edited by undertheletter

PlayALawyerOnTV
  • Law Student

Any tall folk on here who swear by a particular retailer? I'm a hair under 6'6" with that lanky tall guy build and have a bear of a time finding clothes that fit well. Have had mixed experiences with Indochino and was thinking of trying Suit Supply next time around. 

MapleLeafs
  • Law Student
On 7/11/2021 at 2:30 PM, undertheletter said:

Harry Rosen is having a 50% sale on quite a few Hugo Boss suits. Wasn’t planning on buying, but the price and fit was right. You could get a full super 120 suit for ~450.

Thanks for the heads up, definitely wouldn't have known otherwise. Got a nice Hugo Boss suit for $500, just in time for OCIs 

Edited by MapleLeafs

canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer
On 7/11/2021 at 12:37 PM, PlayALawyerOnTV said:

Any tall folk on here who swear by a particular retailer? I'm a hair under 6'6" with that lanky tall guy build and have a bear of a time finding clothes that fit well. Have had mixed experiences with Indochino and was thinking of trying Suit Supply next time around. 

Picking up a suit from Suit Supply this weekend. I'll try and remember to report back.

I have one suit from Indochino that needed a LOT of alterations despite being made-to-measure.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
DABMAN
  • Law School Admit

Hi guys,

I've been beginning to to think about pulling together some outfits so I can look somewhat presentable during interviews and such if I'm fortunate enough to land a law related position in school. I have a few dress shirts and pants but I haven't gotten a suit since highschool lol. I've heard anecdotally that for suits its not TOO big of a deal where you get it but getting it tailored is important. 

So my question is how much should I be spending on each of these pieces of clothing and how many of each I should have for law school? If you could also list brands that are of good quality and where you got them from that would be a big help!

I'm a big believer of getting something that lasts instead of buying cheap things that will end up costing you more in the end so I would like to say my budget is somewhat flexible but hopefully we can keep a whole outfit to around $600 (Idk even know what the range would be for these things sorry)??

Thanks

MapleLeafs
  • Law Student

check out Harry Rosen. I know it appears expensive, but I got a Hugo Boss suit from there recently on sale for $500 

• Like 1

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

Assuming 1L is in person, I think you can get by with a single suit for the year. I would pick either navy (my preference) or charcoal grey. Don't get a black suit (men traditionally only wear black suits at funerals).

So my bare minimum outfit for 1L would be: 

• 1 Suit (Navy or Charcoal NOT Black)
  • 2 Dress Shirts (Blue and White)
  • 2 Ties (Conservative Patterns)
  • 1 Pair of Dress Shoes (Dark Brown or Black)

Your suit and your shoes are likely to be the most expensive parts of that outfit.

For a suit, you're likely looking at between $400 and $600 for a decent one. I like what Suit Supply offers, but you can also check out Harry Rosen or even Nordstroms. If you live in Toronto, the Bay at Queen and Yonge or Yorkdale would be worth checking out as well, since their staff tend to be pretty knowledgable. Outside of those locations, I've found their staff useless and it's a pain to find halfway decent suits there. Indochino is also a popular option for law students, but make sure you order early—they often need to be tailored multiple times. 

For shoes, I'm of the opinion that this is a good place to invest in a "forever" pair. With good upkeep and the occasional trip to the cobbler, a good pair of leather dress shoes can last 10+ years. I would recommend spending at least $300 to get a pair from a good brand. Spier and MacKay offers these cap toe balmorals for $328 (or these ones, if you don't like the brouges). If I were buying my first law school shoes again, I would probably get those. I went with these very similar (but pricier) Allen Edmonds, although it looks like they're discontinuing the fifth avenue variant with brouges. Allen Edmonds also sells factory seconds, which usually have a small (unnoticeable) imperfection. If you go with the AEs and want brown, I would recommend the mahogany colour; the others tend to be too light. 

Dress shirts and ties are much less expensive.

You can get a nice dress shirt for around $50-70. A lot of people swear by Spier & MacKay's dress shirts, but I find their collars unreasonably stiff. I prefer Banana Republic's non-iron dress shirts, which fit me well off the rack and are usually on sale for around $60. Search around and try to find ones you like on sale. 

For ties, the only real rule is that the tie shouldn't be wider than the widest part of your lapel. Most younger men wear skinnier ties, but a thicker tie might look good if you have a broad silhouette. Ties are one of those things I think it's best just to buy as you go and find ones you like. I usually just grab ties that jump out at me while I'm shopping, since it's sort of tough to find ones you love. But a place like Nordstrom will usually have decent basics, such as this blue one or this one in blue or red

ETA: If it's offered by whomever you buy your suit from, you should buy a second pair of pants to match the suit. Pants wear out quicker than a jacket, so having two pairs extends the life of your suit.

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 6

• ZineZ pinned this topic
HarryCrane
  • Articling Student
On 8/14/2021 at 9:29 PM, DABMAN said:

Hi guys,

I've been beginning to to think about pulling together some outfits so I can look somewhat presentable during interviews and such if I'm fortunate enough to land a law related position in school. I have a few dress shirts and pants but I haven't gotten a suit since highschool lol. I've heard anecdotally that for suits its not TOO big of a deal where you get it but getting it tailored is important. 

So my question is how much should I be spending on each of these pieces of clothing and how many of each I should have for law school? If you could also list brands that are of good quality and where you got them from that would be a big help!

I'm a big believer of getting something that lasts instead of buying cheap things that will end up costing you more in the end so I would like to say my budget is somewhat flexible but hopefully we can keep a whole outfit to around $600 (Idk even know what the range would be for these things sorry)??

Thanks

If you are in a major city (Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Toronto) check out a Hugo Boss outlet. They'll have the last seasons suits heavily discounted, and usually some sort of bundle deal (I got a suit, shirt and a tie for $480). Harry Rosen will also have some sales going on where you can get good deals on Boss or similar brand suits. For school I have 2 suits (navy and charcoal) and 3 dress shirts (white, sky blue, and a blue patterned shirt). 

I'll also echo @BlockedQuebecois in that you want to find a place with knowledgeable staff. My experience with Boss and Rosen is that they are more than happy to spend 5 minutes fitting you for a suit - and as someone who has been in mens suiting before, it really does not take much effort on my part to size you.

• Thanks 1

DABMAN
  • Law School Admit

Hello was wondering if its okay to wear chinos instead of dress pants to interviews/jobs and such or should we always stick to total formal attire (i.e no chinos)? 

Thanks

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

For at least 95% of legal job interviews, you’re going to want to be wearing a suit and chinos would be inappropriate. For the 5% that aren’t like that, nobody will judge you for wearing a suit. 

• Like 1

DABMAN
  • Law School Admit
7 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

For at least 95% of legal job interviews, you’re going to want to be wearing a suit and chinos would be inappropriate. For the 5% that aren’t like that, nobody will judge you for wearing a suit. 

Sorry just to confirm you're saying wearing a suit and chinos would be inappropriate for at least 95% of job interviews?

When ever would chinos be appropriate then in the context of law school? 

Thanks

TobyFlenderson
  • Lawyer
43 minutes ago, DABMAN said:

Sorry just to confirm you're saying wearing a suit and chinos would be inappropriate for at least 95% of job interviews?

When ever would chinos be appropriate then in the context of law school? 

Thanks

Wear a suit to every interview. Even if the interview is over Zoom, it is always in your best interest to put the matching pants on. For starters, if something happens and you stand up not thinking about it, and you’re in pajamas/your underwear/anything other than the matching pants or at least similarly appropriate pants, I can’t imagine that interview ends favourably. I realize you’re talking about chinos, and not pajamas, but I’m sure somebody reading this will have thought about it. 

Second, being properly dressed helps keep you in the right headspace. It’s easy to get comfortable and become too casual over Zoom anyway, but wearing the right clothes helps keep your head where it needs to be.

To answer your question directly: chinos are appropriate for class, and less formal ECs/social get togethers. I had a post-moot dinner hosted by the firm sponsoring the moot, and had I worn chinos I would have stuck out in a sea of suits.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
nestlepurelife
  • Law Student

Hey all

I recently picked up a suit for OCIs that is a very dark blue and labeled as "midnight navy." From the advice above I know its best to avoid black suits. Unfortunately when I tested out the suit on a zoom call it looked completely black rather than the very dark blue that it is. 

Should I be concerned? I have a feeling that I might be overthinking this but at the same time want everything I can control beforehand to be in proper order. any advice at all would be appreciated

Edited by nestlepurelife

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
3 minutes ago, nestlepurelife said:

Hey all

I recently picked up a suit for OCIs that is a very dark blue and labeled as "midnight navy." From the advice above I know its best to avoid black suits. Unfortunately when I tested out the suit on a zoom call it looked completely black rather than the very dark blue that it is. 

Should I be concerned? I have a feeling that I might be overthinking this but at the same time want everything I can control beforehand to be in proper order. any advice at all would be appreciated

Really not something to worry about at all, as much as it amuses me that @BlockedQuebecois is responsible for this sort of needless anxiety.

• Like 2

Psychometronic
  • Lawyer

Weird thread to be putting this in but since it's that time of year again, I want to reassure ya'll doing the recruit virtually of the following:

• A lot of things are forgiven when interviewing this way, including "eye contact," your choice of headset or lack thereof, and the degree of darkness of your suit jacket. The fact that they can even see and hear you goes a long way. Just make sure you're wearing pants just in case.
  • Don't be surprised by how casually your interviewers are dressed. Or the fact that you can see their bed sometimes.
  • There will be technology issues. Just apologize and move on from it.
  • Interviewing virtually is exhausting in its own way and it will be so for your interviewers as well. Try to keep your energy up by eating, drinking and taking breaks.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
LionelHutz
  • Law Student

Curious want kind of wardrobe is necessary for summer law jobs?

I currently have two suits. Is this sufficient? Are summer students expected to suit up every day?

Any insight would be great! Thanks!

24 minutes ago, LionelHutz said:

I currently have two suits. Is this sufficient? Are summer students expected to suit up every day?

As long as the suits are quality enough to last the whole summer with them being worn everyday, that is fine. 

Just get a good selection of dress shirts and ties. A suit with a different shirt is a different outfit.

That said, some offices are very informal, and there is no expectation to wear a suit and some require a suit everyday. 

Edit: this assumes your suits are boring. Wearing the same navy and grey suits is different from wearing a loud pinstripe suit.

Edited by Cool_name
  • Like 2

LionelHutz
  • Law Student
23 minutes ago, Hegdis said:

Depends entirely on the office.

I should have anticipated this response. 

I have a summer position at a large corporate law firm. Does this narrow it down or is it still firm dependent? 

44 minutes ago, LionelHutz said:

For some context, I summered in Vancouver this past summer at a national firm. The office was largely empty and lawyers were dressed casually. The students all started with suits but started leaving our jackets in the office after. 

It really depends on your firm. If I was to summer again, I would have probably dressed business casual and kept a suit in the office in case I needed to go to court or see a client. Probably would have wore a suit daily for the first few weeks though since I was still meeting people I have not met before. 

If you are required to wear a suit daily, I would get a third suit for better rotation between cleaning. 

• Like 2

Songbird
  • Lawyer

Can't remember the last time I wore a suit. There is also a legitimate fear that I no longer fit into said suits.

• Nom! 1

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, LionelHutz said:

I should have anticipated this response. 

I have a summer position at a large corporate law firm. Does this narrow it down or is it still firm dependent? 

Still firm dependent. I'd stick with your two; two suits will cover you for long enough to get a third if it's truly a wear-a-suit-ever-day office, and in the more probable event that you can get by with two then you've avoided an unnecessary purchase.

• Like 1