Has Anyone Heard Back from the Toronto Firms Recruiting Outside of OCIs?

harveyrspecter

ZukoJD
  • Law Student
24 minutes ago, Turtles said:

The price of joining the other Davies is one's soul.

No thanks, I'd go for Davies Howe too.

The folks at Davies Howe seem really grounded on the other hand. I heard it's a great place to lay a foundation, and that they really try to build you up. Really down to earth over there. Honestly, a great place to land and develop. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

goodisgood
  • Law Student
44 minutes ago, ZukoJD said:

The folks at Davies Howe seem really grounded on the other hand. I heard it's a great place to lay a foundation, and that they really try to build you up. Really down to earth over there. Honestly, a great place to land and develop. 

Thats Good Robert Deniro GIF

• Like 1

CandidJD
  • Law Student
36 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

Is this going to become the new Wildeboer Dellelce?

What tea am I missing out on?

• Like 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
3 minutes ago, mistertubby said:

did somebody say wildeboer dellelce?

Nobody talks about Wildeboer anymore; Davies Howe is where it's at. Get with it.

• Like 1
  • Nom! 3

Turtles
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, CandidJD said:

What tea am I missing out on?

Wildeboer is the pre-eminent big law firm. If you're lucky enough to get an in-firm, they'll throw a special banquet, announce that the banquet violates the LSO rules but that they don't care because they won't let the LSO hold them back in competing against the big guys*, and then send you a $$$ gift card for attending because they're the best. Who needs league tables when you have your own pool table. 

* Which is curious because the agreement not to host in-person events was voluntary -- saying you were prohibited when you actually weren't, or binding yourself and then violating that commitment and showing you don't care what the LSO thinks, are both bizarre recruitment strategies. But everyone did get branded pool chalk, which makes up for it. 

• LOL 3

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
16 minutes ago, Turtles said:

* Which is curious because the agreement not to host in-person events was voluntary -- saying you were prohibited when you actually weren't, or binding yourself and then violating that commitment and showing you don't care what the LSO thinks, are both bizarre recruitment strategies.

Obviously they are just so fucking cool that they sign up to be subjected to rules just to break them.

No sleep for the vicious, key up a cop car just to see mischief

• LOL 1

CandidJD
  • Law Student
54 minutes ago, Turtles said:

Wildeboer is the pre-eminent big law firm. If you're lucky enough to get an in-firm, they'll throw a special banquet, announce that the banquet violates the LSO rules but that they don't care because they won't let the LSO hold them back in competing against the big guys*, and then send you a $$$ gift card for attending because they're the best. Who needs league tables when you have your own pool table. 

* Which is curious because the agreement not to host in-person events was voluntary -- saying you were prohibited when you actually weren't, or binding yourself and then violating that commitment and showing you don't care what the LSO thinks, are both bizarre recruitment strategies. But everyone did get branded pool chalk, which makes up for it. 

Thanks for being inclusive to this westcoaster!

• Hugs 1

Taiko
  • Law Student
5 hours ago, newbie99 said:

Singleton Reynolds call day is tomorrow. For those who hear back please do keep us posted on here.

Received an ITC e-mail earlier this evening (Nov 28th).

• Hugs 2

easttowest
  • Lawyer

Also there was a meme a while back when somebody called Wildeboer the best firm in the country, or something like that.

Wait did they actually send gift cards? That’s… so hilariously offside? 

ribbitbibbit
  • Law Student
On 11/28/2022 at 8:31 PM, ZukoJD said:

Hilarious lol -- but curious if you actually have any info about the firm, or if you're just punning day-in-day-out

And thanks all for advice re accepting offer and continuing to interview. my CDO had same advice. Going to avoid doing that!

Edited by ribbitbibbit
forgot t say something

CandidJD
  • Law Student
On 11/28/2022 at 2:26 PM, ribbitbibbit said:

Got an interview request with Davies Howe. 

Curious what people's thoughts are regarding accepting an offer and continuing to interview at other places. For example, if I get an offer from X firm in mid-December, but I want to work at OSC, which interviews in mid-February. Does anyone have any suggestions for navigating this situation? 

Do you mind if I ask when you applied? I applied on the 28th and haven't heard back so I don't know if I'm to assume I didn't get an interview. With the deadline being the 30th, it does seem like it's rolling though.

ZukoJD
  • Law Student
53 minutes ago, ribbitbibbit said:

Hilarious lol -- but curious if you actually have any info about the firm, or if you're just punning day-in-day-out

And thanks all for advice re accepting offer and continuing to interview. my CDO had same advice. Going to avoid doing that!

Just punning. Good luck though!

• LOL 1

goodisgood
  • Law Student

Like ZukoJD, going to give a job update as someone who has been pretty open on this board about not doing well with OCIs and feeling down. A lot of people here encouraged me to keep going and that OCIs were not the end. Someone even told me that it might be a blessing in disguise. 

I received an offer for a summer position earlier this week that I'm really happy with because I could show genuine interest in the area of practice. Thank you to everyone for encouraging me, because I almost didn't apply. And thank you for all the random advice littered around this forum, every little bit helped. 

• Like 7

sarcasticlemon
  • Law Student

Just got a rejection email from Sprigings, in case anyone else is waiting on them. I'm starting to lose hope guys. 

• Sad 1

Don't give up, there are still several positions open for Toronto (if location is all that matters to you) just maybe not specifically for intellectual property law. You can also consider the upcoming Ottawa recruit, I know Osler's team is pretty focused on IP in Ottawa.

ribbitbibbit
  • Law Student
On 11/30/2022 at 11:45 AM, CandidJD said:

Do you mind if I ask when you applied? I applied on the 28th and haven't heard back so I don't know if I'm to assume I didn't get an interview. With the deadline being the 30th, it does seem like it's rolling though.

I applied before the 28th -- can't seem to find my initial application date, though. Sometime in the November 20s. I got an interview offer on the 28th for interviews on Dec 1 and 2nd. Haven't heard back from them.

• Thanks 1

bubbles
  • Law Student
6 hours ago, Nicty said:

Don't give up, there are still several positions open for Toronto (if location is all that matters to you) just maybe not specifically for intellectual property law. You can also consider the upcoming Ottawa recruit, I know Osler's team is pretty focused on IP in Ottawa.

Unfortunately Osler Ottawa does not recruit 2Ls just 1Ls during the Ottawa IP Recruit that takes place in the fall. 

goodisgood
  • Law Student
4 minutes ago, bubbles said:

Unfortunately Osler Ottawa does not recruit 2Ls just 1Ls during the Ottawa IP Recruit that takes place in the fall. 

While Osler doesn't, Gowlings Ottawa will hire some 2Ls for the IP division if that's what @sarcasticlemon is intohttps://gowlingwlg.com/en/careers/canada/students/summer-program/ottawa/

Edited by goodisgood
  • Like 1