2L Recruit 2023

paulAllensCard

Propertylawnotmything
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, Law Student 1234 said:

what does a meal mean? 

some firms would invite students to a dinner I think, usually on Tuesday of the interview week. 

• Like 1

Motherofdragons
  • Law Student

Hi folks,

How do the dinners work? Is that something the firms will invite us to? Could firms invite us during interviews or would they have already mentioned it in the ITC email?

I saw a blog post from years ago from someone who was asking firms for lunch and dinners which took me by surprise.

Thank you

6 minutes ago, Motherofdragons said:

Hi folks,

How do the dinners work? Is that something the firms will invite us to? Could firms invite us during interviews or would they have already mentioned it in the ITC email?

I saw a blog post from years ago from someone who was asking firms for lunch and dinners which took me by surprise.

Thank you

In my day (5+ years ago - painful as it is to type out), you would typically get invited to lunches/dinners during the call on call day. Try to be strategic in terms of which lunches/dinners you accept and on which days (e.g., if you're offered a dinner on day 1 of in-firms and you ask to do day 2 instead, the firm may take that as an indication that they aren't one of your top picks).

• Like 2

Toast Viking
  • Law Student
39 minutes ago, TomCarnivalCruise said:

Anyone hear from Stieber berlach?

Received an ITC yesterday from them. They did not do OCIs at my school -ottawa

chaboywb
  • Lawyer
36 minutes ago, Motherofdragons said:

Hi folks,

Thank you

If I remember correctly, I received one dinner invite and one reception invite shortly after Call Day and two additional dinner invites during interviews. Because the additional dinners were both on the Tuesday, I essentially had to reject one firm by not being able to attend.

• Like 1

lawyerlylawyer
  • Law School Admit
6 minutes ago, significantword372 said:

ITC Gardiner Roberts

Can you specify if you received one or inquiring about it? 

Debtful
  • Applicant
Just now, surf2020 said:

has anyone heard from firms that did not do OCIs? (i.e., Chaitons, Deeth Williams, Clyde & Co)

I believe clyde & co did do OCIs

surf2020
  • Law School Admit
1 minute ago, Debtful said:

I believe clyde & co did do OCIs

I don't think at Osgoode they did, unless I missed it?

Debtful
  • Applicant
1 minute ago, surf2020 said:

I don't think at Osgoode they did, unless I missed it?

They did at Ottawa, not sure about osgoode but I imagine they did?

significantword372
  • Applicant
8 minutes ago, lawyerlylawyer said:

Can you specify if you received one or inquiring about it? 

Received one 

Dinsdale
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, chaboywb said:

If I remember correctly, I received one dinner invite and one reception invite shortly after Call Day and two additional dinner invites during interviews. Because the additional dinners were both on the Tuesday, I essentially had to reject one firm by not being able to attend.

Yes, most dinner invitations will be extended on Calls Day so that the firm can line up its roster of lawyers hosting dinners.  But they can also be extended on the fly during interviews, probably more likely to be a lunch than a dinner in this case.  Obviously they should be regarded for what they are, which is an expression of strong interest. If they are extended at the conclusion of a first interview, you are on track to get an offer (so long as you don't blow it at the meal). Depends on the firm, but some firms will try to close the deal with some of their top choices by inviting them to a Wednesday lunch, say (which conveniently also runs out the clock on the 3:00 p.m. deadline, or close enough). Conversely, turning down a meal invitation is interpreted by the firm as a lack of interest and is very likely to get you knocked off the list, as unfair as that may seem.   

12 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Yes, most dinner invitations will be extended on Calls Day so that the firm can line up its roster of lawyers hosting dinners.  But they can also be extended on the fly during interviews, probably more likely to be a lunch than a dinner in this case.  Obviously they should be regarded for what they are, which is an expression of strong interest. If they are extended at the conclusion of a first interview, you are on track to get an offer (so long as you don't blow it at the meal). Depends on the firm, but some firms will try to close the deal with some of their top choices by inviting them to a Wednesday lunch, say (which conveniently also runs out the clock on the 3:00 p.m. deadline, or close enough). Conversely, turning down a meal invitation is interpreted by the firm as a lack of interest and is very likely to get you knocked off the list, as unfair as that may seem.   

So if you get extended a dinner invitation in an ITC, can you assume that the same has been extended to everybody? Or is it tailored to individuals and thus somehow points to a greater level of interest?

vital_signs
  • Law Student

Hope everyone had a great call day. For future students looking for information, Mathews Dinsdale called even though they did not ITC me. Although, I do not think they gave out ITCs.

Might be nice for the future to post this kind of info now, to make things easier for the people who look for it in past threads rather than having a billion questions about what can happen. 

Edited by vital_signs