2L Recruit 2023

paulAllensCard

Law Student 1234
  • Law Student
14 hours ago, feafeawojfea said:

So if you get extended a dinner invitation in an ITC, can you assume that the same has been extended to everybody? Or is it tailored to individuals and thus somehow points to a greater level of interest?

I have this question too if someone can advise 

chaboywb
  • Lawyer
15 hours ago, feafeawojfea said:

So if you get extended a dinner invitation in an ITC, can you assume that the same has been extended to everybody? Or is it tailored to individuals and thus somehow points to a greater level of interest?

I know of two firms in my year where only some candidates got a dinner invite. I do think it it indicates a higher level of interest but its not determinative either way. I know someone who got hired without a dinner at a firm that offered them to other candidates. 

Other firms invite all candidates to dinner or their reception. I remember going to one firm's reception that had to have had 150 attendees.

• LOL 1

chaoticgood
  • Law Student

Do firms call top candidates first? Like how much should you reasonably read into big law firms calling you at 8:15AM vs 8:08 AM va 8:00AM.?

• Like 1

Debtful
  • Applicant
3 minutes ago, ON-Biber said:

I think it is over, no more calls today?

Were you able to receive any unexpected calls?

Law Student 1234
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, chaboywb said:

I know of two firms in my year where only some candidates got a dinner invite. I do think it it indicates a higher level of interest but its not determinative either way. I know someone who got hired without a dinner at a firm that offered them to other candidates. 

Other firms invite all candidates to dinner or their reception. I remember going to one firm's reception that had to have had 150 attendees.

Do you know which ones?

kelleygreen
  • Law School Admit
58 minutes ago, gglaw said:

Wondering if anyone has heard from Gilbert’s today? 

i haven't and i thought my interview went really well. i didn't get an ITC but i can't tell if they even sent them out – hoping for both of us that they're just running late

Debtful
  • Applicant
1 minute ago, kelleygreen said:

i haven't and i thought my interview went really well. i didn't get an ITC but i can't tell if they even sent them out – hoping for both of us that they're just running late

I didn't think Gilbert's did OCIs

gglaw
  • Applicant
15 minutes ago, kelleygreen said:

Fingers crossed 🤞🏻Ottawa didn’t get OCI’s so I’m just hoping here 

gglaw
  • Applicant
34 minutes ago, kelleygreen said:

They did at U of T!

finger's crossed for us both! Hopefully you hear back today ! 

scooter
  • Law Student
49 minutes ago, gglaw said:

Fingers crossed 🤞🏻Ottawa didn’t get OCI’s so I’m just hoping here 

I don't want to be a downer but it is highly unlikely you will receive an interview at this point, if you haven't already. Calls were at 8am, and 8:30 would be considered "late". Firms call as early as possible to make sure they don't miss out on candidates

• Sad 1

Dinsdale
  • Lawyer
22 hours ago, feafeawojfea said:

Depends on the firm.  Some firms extend only a few dinner invitations.  At this type of firm, you are in a very strong position if you receive one.  But other firms (generally those that do not hold receptions) invite all or virtually all of their candidates to "dinner".  In this case it is more likely to be a group dinner of some description, not a 2 on 1 (two lawyers, one student).

7 hours ago, chaoticgood said:

Do firms call top candidates first? Like how much should you reasonably read into big law firms calling you at 8:15AM vs 8:08 AM va 8:00AM.?

Yes, obviously.  The list is agonized over and highly prioritized.

Dinsdale
  • Lawyer
5 hours ago, scooter said:

I don't want to be a downer but it is highly unlikely you will receive an interview at this point, if you haven't already. Calls were at 8am, and 8:30 would be considered "late". Firms call as early as possible to make sure they don't miss out on candidates

There are occasionally cancellations, but they are rare.  The cancellation would come from the student end -- someone realizes they are stretched too thin and PFO's a firm.  As I say, unlikely; but it has happened.  And yeah, our goal, usually achieved, was to have our calls completed by 8:15 a.m.

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 2

BeRightBack
  • Law Student

Do non-OCI firms hire anyone? In my friend circle, I do not know a single person who got the interview call from non-OCI firms. They do have interviews from OCI firms. 

Debtful
  • Applicant
12 minutes ago, ProBoner said:

Do non-OCI firms hire anyone? In my friend circle, I do not know a single person who got the interview call from non-OCI firms. They do have interviews from OCI firms. 

I do/know people that do. Is there a specific firm you are inquiring about?

• Like 1

BeRightBack
  • Law Student

Not a specific firm. Heard about none of the non-OCI firm handing any interviews. But I guess OCI firms participate in career days and stuff at the Uni so they are more approachable and people find jobs through that. It's my friend group bias, ignore me.

Rawlsian
  • Law Student
6 hours ago, ProBoner said:

I got a few. Goldblatt, Cavalluzzo, Houser Henry Syron, and Thornton Grout Finnegan. 

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

Forever Curious
  • Law Student
19 hours ago, ProBoner said:

Yea I heard about a couple of friends that got interviews with multiple non-OCI firms and one of them got hired.  

• Sad 1

vital_signs
  • Law Student
5 hours ago, funnygal said:

Did anyone get invited to a Filion Wakely dinner or does anyone know if they're having one?

Yes, they invited me and another person I know to dinner. 

• Like 1