Article at small firm or apply (again) to bigger firms?

ammoniumthioglycolate

Goblin King
  • Law Student

SO much bad reasoning in one post, where to start: 

21 minutes ago, elmelm said:

never said I can’t handle insensitive  content, so I am not sure why you are telling me not to frequent the forum? It seems you cant handle a different opinion to yours and you react by telling people to get off the website (I’m sorry do you run it or....?)?

1.  I can handle your opinion just fine, hence why I've generally engaged with it politely (something which is about to come to an end). You seem to be the only one here slinging ad-hominem insults. That's ok, maintaining maturity and composure when arguing with someone takes time to develop (though I would have hoped you would have developed it before law school). I didn't tell you to leave the site, but simply noted a mismatch between its culture and your delicate sensibilities. 

Again, I don’t know why you think you can formalize a standard on when to take a comment seriously? And then evaluate said comment against that standard? (Do you pay the fees to run this website?.. I’m confused...?)?

2. Let's assume that I can't offer some common sense definition of racially insensitive content for the sakes of arguing about the same thing. Does it strike you as odd that no one here, including POC like myself, are taking you seriously? The tone of comments here, combined with the absence of positive reactions to your posts,  suggests that maybe, just maybe, you haven't met anybody's INDIVIDUAL and SUBJECTIVE standard of racial insensitivity. 

again, my point is that you cannot reference some definition of a Karen that does not exist. It is a cultural term with a meaning that you do not just get to decide the specificity of.

3. The fact is that enough people agree on a common definition of what a Karen is to use it and understand what it means. It does not have no definition. I'm not prescribing what that definition is, but stating that your interpretation falls considerably outside it. Wtf does "it's a cultural term" even mean btw. Because it certainly doesn't mean a completely relativistic definition of any term you want. 

Edit: I fear that I've slipped into my old habit of dominating a post with bickering. Will not be posting further. Apologies to those with interest in RE. 

Edited by Goblin King

1 hour ago, elmelm said:

I just realized I’ve become someone on an online forum arguing with Karens as if they will ever listen. That’s my exit!

Agreed. 

• Like 1

• Lawyer

The term "ethnic firm" is how my friend I spoke about earlier in this thread refers to their firm (at least in private circles). They have no issues with calling their firm that. Maybe it is not the correct term to use here, but I assumed that a forum of lawyers and law students would be able to understand its context without getting triggered. Everyone seems to have gotten this point except the one individual above. @BlockedQuebecois described it perfectly as "the idea that some firms are mainly/exclusively staffed with people from a certain ethnic group and focus their practice on serving that ethnic group." 

Foreign trained lawyers does not mean only BIPOC lawyers. Many foreign trained lawyers are Caucasians.

Before we pull out the Karen and Kens, racially insensitive, racism, etc. rhetoric, people need to remind themselves that they may be responding to other BIPOC individuals and not just Caucasians. While you have the right to voice your concerns and sensitivities, you shouldn't be so quick to bring down other people either without knowing their own backgrounds and where they are coming from. If you have questions, you can ask for clarification. 

I will just note that elmelm is taking a brief break and will not be responding further in this thread. Lots of good discussion here so we won’t lock it, but we can all take a breath and step back from that particular aspect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5