How not to get hired on Bay Street

Dinsdale

HarryCrane
  • Articling Student
14 hours ago, QueensDenning said:

I emailed the list to our student program coordinator. Partners are aware of the list as well. I would be very surprised if any of those students got an offer this cycle.

I don’t think they’ll be black listed in the future though to be honest. 

I would think in the future it won’t black list them, but the students better have one hell of an answer to the question “explain why you signed this?”.

• Like 2

Chief Keef
  • Lawyer

In my opinion, putting your name on any political statement as a student is very careless - the probability of backlash is a lot higher than if you just stay quiet. Putting your name on this statement is downright stupid.

Edited by Chief Keef
  • Like 1

erin otoole
  • Lawyer
27 minutes ago, Chief Keef said:

In my opinion, putting your name on any political statement as a student is very careless - the probability of backlash is a lot higher than if you just stay quiet. Putting your name on this statement is downright stupid.

I'm not sure when you graduated, but in the zoom era of law school these group political statements were flying across group chats every other week. Students are advised to keep their nose clean from these, the risk vs reward is way off. 

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

Law students: "I'm going to take a stand on important and controversial issues; look how brave I am!"

Also law students: "It's so unfair that my opportunities would be limited in any way over taking a stand on important and controversial issues!"

• Like 4
  • Nom! 1
  • Angry 1

Rawlsian
  • Law Student

I've seen that at least one full service firm has sent an email to the TMU 2Ls they are interviewing, asking them to confirm that they did not sign the letter anonymously. Obviously if any signed using their name, they will not be getting the call on Friday. I imagine more emails will follow. 

Edited by Rawlsian
  • Like 1

Debtful
  • Applicant
1 hour ago, Rawlsian said:

I've seen that at least one full service firm has sent an email to the TMU 2Ls they are interviewing, asking them to confirm that they did not sign the letter anonymously. Obviously if any signed using their name, they will not be getting the call on Friday. I imagine more emails will follow. 

do you know which firm?

chaboywb
  • Lawyer
19 hours ago, Rawlsian said:

I mean that is little more than virtue signaling. Clearly nobody will volunteer that information. 

Dinsdale
  • Lawyer
1 minute ago, chaboywb said:

I mean that is little more than virtue signaling. Clearly nobody will volunteer that information. 

I would say it's more grounds for dismissal if the firm subsequently discovers that the person did in fact sign the letter, having claimed they did not.

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, Dinsdale said:

I would say it's more grounds for dismissal if the firm subsequently discovers that the person did in fact sign the letter, having claimed they did not.

I’m not an employment lawyer and I don’t play one on the internet, but it would be surprising to me if any reputable firm were to try to terminate someone for cause on the basis they signed this letter but didn’t disclose it.

Forever Curious
  • Law Student
19 hours ago, Rawlsian said:

A&B

21 hours ago, Rawlsian said:

I know that this forum and the corporate legal world is very much removed from the overall discourse but this is up there with the Slavies debacle. A&B should be ashamed of themselves.

• Like 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

If a student signed anonymously and demonstrates willingness to lie about it instead of standing by their convictions, that's all the firms really care about. They just want to know that their grunts will bend the knee, fall in line, shut up, do what they are told, and not embarrass the firm, regardless of what their private beliefs may be.

• Like 3
  • Nom! 1

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
2 minutes ago, Forever Curious said:

I know that this forum and the corporate legal world is very much removed from the overall discourse but this is up there with the Slavies debacle. A&B should be ashamed of themselves.

… huh? 

Forever Curious
  • Law Student
17 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

… huh? 

Not really much to explain if you don’t get why this is terrible on the part of A&B. These law firms have literally just spent the last decade using POC to bolster this fake image that they care about D&I and courting POC to be part of their marketing campaigns and student initiatives. Now, these same firms are not only exposing their true racist sides, but also doing away with any of the goodwill that past decade may have garnered. If you equate support for Palestinians right to liberation as support for killing innocent civilians/hamas, that’s on you and not these amazingly brave students. Best of luck to them. 

Oh and this is terrible business btw. You can’t just pretend the rest of the world will blindly delude themselves into a zionist worldview just because you try rlly hard. Fyi, the majority of people see through the fog of war, even in Canada and in fact Israel. 

Edited by Forever Curious
  • Like 3
  • LOL 3

Forever Curious
  • Law Student
12 minutes ago, Jaggers said:

You might consider re-reading the letter if that’s how you took it?

You might consider that propaganda has worked brilliantly on you if you took it as anything else.

These are the  key points of the letter, not sure what I’m supposed to be so outraged by: (1) Israel is a settler colony and apartheid state, (2) condemning statements that minimize the colonialism at hand, (3) condemning organizations that have only condemned Hamas, and (4) Israel is ultimately responsible for the Oct 7th attacks, and that the attacks on Oct 7th are ultimately the product of Israel’s occupation and colonialism. 

Not only is it not condemnable, it is in fact admirable and I’m so thankful to these students for giving voice to the voiceless. I hope that other firms that feel this way speak out and expose themselves. What a dark time for the corporate legal profession. 

Edited by Forever Curious
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Forever Curious said:

Not really much to explain if you don’t get why this is terrible on the part of A&B. These law firms have literally just spent the last decade using POC to bolster this fake image that they care about D&I and courting POC to be part of their marketing campaigns and student initiatives. Now, these same firms are not only exposing their true racist sides, but also doing away with any of the goodwill that past decade may have garnered. If you equate support for Palestinians right to liberation as support for killing innocent civilians/hamas, that’s on you and not these amazingly brave students. Best of luck to them. 

Oh and this is terrible business btw. You can’t just pretend the rest of the world will blindly delude themselves into a zionist worldview just because you try rlly hard. Fyi, the majority of people see through the fog of war, even in Canada and in fact Israel. 

This analysis really escalated quickly. Fortunately (and oddly enough unfortunately), most of the accusations alleged here have largely lost their meaning over the last years because the labels are so brazenly used on the diatribe of platitude that has taken the place of actual analysis.  

• Like 1

Chief Keef
  • Lawyer
41 minutes ago, Forever Curious said:

Sure thing, Student in Solidarity.

• LOL 4
  • Nom! 5

LMP
  • Articling Student
20 minutes ago, Forever Curious said:

You might consider that propaganda has worked brilliantly on you if you took it as anything else.

These are the  key points of the letter, not sure what I’m supposed to be so outraged by: (1) Israel is a settler colony and apartheid state, (2) condemning statements that minimize the colonialism at hand, (3) condemning organizations that have only condemned Hamas, and (4) Israel is ultimately responsible for the Oct 7th attacks, and that the attacks on Oct 7th are ultimately the product of Israel’s occupation and colonialism. 

Not only is it not condemnable, it is in fact admirable and I’m so thankful to these students for giving voice to the voiceless. I hope that other firms that feel this way speak out and expose themselves. What a dark time for the corporate legal profession. 

Fear not, lots of non-corprate firms have also made clear that none of these students will find employment with them. So your "dark time" isn't as limited as you feared! 

• Like 2

Forever Curious
  • Law Student
5 minutes ago, LMP said:

Fear not, lots of non-corprate firms have also made clear that none of these students will find employment with them. So your "dark time" isn't as limited as you feared! 

And i’m sure you just love that 🙂 

So, just as a general reminder to all - because this looks likely to get heated - posts are forever and no one is really that anonymous. Absolutely discuss. But please recall that there is no delete button and the mods are unlikely to remove posts just because you later regret posting. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

chameli B
  • Law Student

People who are condoning or excusing the rape, torture, murder and kidnapping of civilians (including children and the elderly)  have no business practicing law in this country. All Palestinian and Israeli civilian deaths should be condemned. Some of the posts here are sickening and nothing these hateful posters say will negate the fact that they are horrible human beings who deserve nothing but contempt from society.

Edited by chameli B
  • Like 1