How not to get hired on Bay Street

Dinsdale

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
11 minutes ago, BHC1 said:

I know having a conversation with people who disagree with you can be exhausting, but this is not the way to persuade or engage with others.

I'm not sure what gave you the impression that his intention was to persuade anyone.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Dinsdale
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, jimmy991 said:

If capitalism taught us anything, it is that profit is always above morals. If recruiters are able to find capable students with morally questionable views like this but can still bring in billables and clients, why would the firm cares what kind of beliefs these students hold?

On the contrary, the firms care very much about the beliefs their students hold (morally questionable or otherwise, which may be in the eye of the beholder), and many firms were therefore careful to exclude any potential student who signed a petition in support of Hamas.  That is what the thread is about.

Yogurt Baron
6 hours ago, Forever Curious said:

There is truly no shame. You would think the above conversation would be about the abhorrent racism and white supremacy at display in recent months, including by the many users of this forum as evidenced by the posts in this thread. You would think this thread would be filled with posters condemning Israel/Zionism and apologizing for supporting this genocide. You would think that this post would be filled with apologies for the incredible prejudice and white supremacy at display in this thread. For having facilitated a genocide. But no, we are still talking about TMU students, who were wrongly targeted, and about whether or not those that signed the letter are worthy of having a career or not. I condemn all of you. I can condemn your blatant racism and depravation. You have supported a genocide despite knowing better. You grew up in the post 9/11 world and still allowed yourselves to be brainwashed into being these incredibly Islamophobic and racist warmongerers. Shame on you. I wish you all many many many sleepless nights. 

As I said last time you were here, I'm closer to your views than anyone else on the thread (and by "closer", I mean "I disagree with your ideas and approach while understanding where you're coming from on both"), but...this is just a very odd take from a social perspective.

Essentially what you're saying here is, "I was here a few months ago and everyone's views were diametrically opposed to mine, but I expected everyone's minds to have magically changed in the past few months based on nothing." And whether your views are right or wrong...it doesn't work like that.

Let's, for the purposes of argument, accept your position that we're all depraved racists who can't see The Truth. Well, if that's the case, it's simply absurd to expect our minds to have magically changed. If I go to a Trump rally, am disgusted by what I see, and then go to a second Trump rally and say, "Wow, I expected everyone here to hate that guy!", the problem is my weird expectations.

Last time you were here, I called out that you're young, and some people thought that was a weird overstep on my part, but here, I'm going to do it again: I absolutely did not grow up in the post-9/11 world, and it's weird to assume that I or anyone did. I was a fully-fledged adult on 9/11; so was everyone on this thread about whom I know enough to estimate their ages. I just had to do the math to figure out if anyone who wasn't an adult on 9/11 would even be old enough to practice law yet. (Apparently 9/11 was longer ago than it feels to those of us who were adults when it happened, and apparently they're issuing law licenses to people under 40 nowadays for some reason.) And, look: your generation grew up with a tendency to make assumptions in a way that mine didn't. There's simply a straight line between "assuming everyone you're talking to is the same age as you", "assuming everyone you're talking to has the same set of values you do", and "assuming those values are objectively correct".

People nowadays live in ideological bubbles. This thread is what the world is like outside of your bubble. This simply isn't your audience.

• Like 1

LMP
  • Articling Student
5 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Law students can’t bring in billables and clients for big law firms. They’re just fungible worker bees.

Why would a firm take on unnecessary reputational risk when they could just hire another fungible worker bee? 

B-but they said students are considered future partners! I can't be replaceable.