Discretionary 2024

leftphalange
  • Law School Admit

Just wish to check how many discretionary applicants out there and get updated when they are receiving offers.  Yell and share if you belong to this category!  Thanks.

• Thanks 1

Grotius
  • Applicant

I applied discretionary, with a 78% cGPA and a 171 LSAT. My understanding is that we won't be assessed under the discretionary category until May, and any discretionary applicants admitted before then were assessed under the general category.

• Like 1

leftphalange
  • Law School Admit

That’s what I heard before too. Anyway you have better stats than I do so you would be my good signalling application! Lol 😂 I am with 76% / 164

CeeCee
  • Applicant

This is the post I’ve been looking for. Seeing both of your stats is humbling though. I have a 163. I did receive feedback that that stat is competitive for this category and that this year the applications are being reviewed a tiny bit earlier (Feb/March). Hopefully that translates to decisions coming out April/May as opposed to May/Jun. Fingers crossed.

Edited by CeeCee
  • Like 1

leftphalange
  • Law School Admit
8 hours ago, CeeCee said:

This is the post I’ve been looking for. Seeing both of your stats is humbling though. I have a 163. I did receive feedback that that stat is competitive for this category and that this year the applications are being reviewed a tiny bit earlier (Feb/March). Hopefully that translates to decisions coming out April/May as opposed to May/Jun. Fingers crossed.

Best wishes to all here!

I will certainly take your words as true on competitiveness for now. 163 isn’t bad at all. How’s your GPa? Though I also wonder when it comes to discretionary applications do they still go down the list by a GpA LSat matrix or personal statement counts a much bigger deal. 

biffo852
  • Applicant

Hello, discretionary here. Mature student with five years work experience in health care. 3.52 CGPA, 165 LSAT, 80.76% with drops. I was gonna apply general until i went to a law school fair and the UBC rep told me to apply discretionary because I met the criteria for consideration of non academic achievement. Best of luck. Waiting till the end of May is pretty brutal. If I don't get in I'm going to Osgoode. 

• Like 1

leftphalange
  • Law School Admit
1 hour ago, biffo852 said:

Hello, discretionary here. Mature student with five years work experience in health care. 3.52 CGPA, 165 LSAT, 80.76% with drops. I was gonna apply general until i went to a law school fair and the UBC rep told me to apply discretionary because I met the criteria for consideration of non academic achievement. Best of luck. Waiting till the end of May is pretty brutal. If I don't get in I'm going to Osgoode. 

Brutal indeed!

leftphalange
  • Law School Admit
1 hour ago, biffo852 said:

Also another discretionary applicants with strong stats!

Layton1313
  • Applicant

Applied discretionary with an 80.8% with drops and 171 November LSAT. Originally reached out to them inquiring about my personal circumstances (and a 163 October LSAT) and was told that I fit some discretionary criteria. Thought I’d maybe be considered for general when I got my November LSAT back but so far hasn’t been the case. Hoping to get good news, UBC is my first choice. Good luck to everybody else in this category, I know the wait has been brutal!

• Like 1

Grotius
  • Applicant
On 3/21/2024 at 8:06 AM, CeeCee said:

I inquired as to when exactly discretionary offers will be made this year and was told that they are in fact being made on a rolling basis, and Allard expect to stop making offers by mid-May.

• Like 3

CeeCee
  • Applicant

I haven’t heard of anyone explicitly in the Discretionary category being accepted yet. Only people who applied Discretionary, whose category changed to General, and who then received acceptance. 

Edited by CeeCee

leftphalange
  • Law School Admit
10 minutes ago, CeeCee said:

I haven’t heard of anyone explicitly in the Discretionary category being accepted yet. Only people who applied Discretionary, whose category changed to General, and who then received acceptance. 

Would ppl accepted under the D category be told that explicitly when they do get the offer under the category?

CeeCee
  • Applicant
31 minutes ago, leftphalange said:

Would ppl accepted under the D category be told that explicitly when they do get the offer under the category?

I assumed that the status/category would remain as Discretionary once they received acceptance if actually accepted under the D category. But I could be wrong. 

• Like 1

Spinnaker
  • Law School Admit
On 3/22/2024 at 5:30 PM, CeeCee said:

I assumed that the status/category would remain as Discretionary once they received acceptance if actually accepted under the D category. But I could be wrong. 

Is this the case? I actually don't know, the admission letter doesn't state what category you were admitted in as far as I know. The application portal still says Discretionary (did not change to General) but the right hand side "Current Status" changes to "Offer". 

• Like 1

CeeCee
  • Applicant

After seeing some of these stats, and seeing that at least one person has been accepted discretionary, I woke up today realizing that I'm likely not getting in. Have already been accepted to Western, but feeling a bit sad about the realization. I realized that I really had my heart set on UBC. I wanted the mountain background lol.

Up until the day I applied, I genuinely thought that we were in our own seperate, equal category. I didn't quite realize that generally speaking we were considered last.

biffo852
  • Applicant

Western is a great school. I don't think with UBC it's over until May is over. Discretionary category acceptance are a bit all over the place with stats. So you may have a chance yet. Until then, make every effort to plan for your move to London. 

I've already secured a residence spot with Oz, I'm planning my summer around the move and thinking about my finances. It's much easier to secure good housing if you apply earlier, at least with York. Until UBC says something, I wholeheartedly plan for a different outcome. 

Many people from BC go to school in Ontario and come right back. I too will miss the mountains as an outdoors enthusiast. 

Edited by biffo852
  • Like 2

Spinnaker
  • Law School Admit
On 3/27/2024 at 7:36 AM, CeeCee said:

Up until the day I applied, I genuinely thought that we were in our own seperate, equal category. I didn't quite realize that generally speaking we were considered last.

I don't think it's necessarily right to think of Discretionary applicants as "last" in any way other than the literal timeline aspect of it as stated on UBC's website. It is better to not be "equal" in the sense that Discretionary applicants can receive greater consideration for their life challenges/experiences than a General applicant, which is more heavily stats-based.  I do wish the process was more transparent in the numbers though, as in how many positions or what percentage of the class is made up of Discretionary applicants, or how they evaluate and rank these in terms of weight given to each component.

On 3/21/2024 at 9:12 PM, biffo852 said:

Did you get into Osgoode? I have similar stats mature student in healthcare with 8 yrs experience in healthcare.. are you a nurse?

biffo852
  • Applicant
17 hours ago, c123 said:

Did you get into Osgoode? I have similar stats mature student in healthcare with 8 yrs experience in healthcare.. are you a nurse?

Yes, got into Osgoode. Yes, I'm a nurse. You too?

9 hours ago, biffo852 said:

Yes, got into Osgoode. Yes, I'm a nurse. You too?

I am actually a dental hygienist I studied at UBC, where did you do your nursing? 

Spinnaker
  • Law School Admit

7 minutes ago, c123 said:

I am actually a dental hygienist I studied at UBC, where did you do your nursing? 

Wow, that's cool! We have quite the community of healthcare professionals (nurse, dental hygienist, pharmacist) now!

On 3/21/2024 at 8:06 AM, CeeCee said:

Who said that it is being evaluated early?

On 3/21/2024 at 4:26 PM, leftphalange said:

Best wishes to all here!

I will certainly take your words as true on competitiveness for now. 163 isn’t bad at all. How’s your GPa? Though I also wonder when it comes to discretionary applications do they still go down the list by a GpA LSat matrix or personal statement counts a much bigger deal. 

No, the admissions director told me they look at every factor in your application. It is holistically approached during their evaluation. General category its 166 LSAT and mid 80s for cGPA

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Grotius
  • Applicant

I’ve just been accepted, and can’t tell you all how happy I am. All thanks be to God. I’ll be praying for those of you who haven’t heard back yet.

• Like 1

Grotius
  • Applicant
9 minutes ago, Grotius said:

I’ve just been accepted, and can’t tell you all how happy I am. All thanks be to God. I’ll be praying for those of you who haven’t heard back yet.

I should add that my application portal still lists me as discretionary, and the brief discussion I had over the phone with the admissions office seems to imply that I was indeed admitted discretionary, rather than general.