anyone else bout to lose dey mind

Moms_Spaghetti
  • Law Student
11 minutes ago, elle.woods said:

Congratulations! Do you mind sharing your stats? 

8 minutes ago, abouttime said:

Oh maybe that was their way of saying I'm not being considered in this round! What were your stats if you don't mind sharing?

I went to UofC and we were graded using GPA and letters, not percentages so i'm still not used to that and may not be entirely accurate considering (4.0 scale v. UBC's 4.3 scale) I was an A- at UofC but after conversion I had an A average at UBC (says between 85-89%). My LSAT was 167. I honestly did not bother with calculating the index score this cycle because I did not want to fixate on another stat. 

Guys, my best advice is to not be hard on yourselves. I know its SO easy to look at stats and compare yourself and feel like it's now or never, but whether you get in this year or next does not define how good of a lawyer you will be. Don't let this waiting game chip away at your confidence. I got waitlisted last year and it felt like doom. It wasn't. It is so hard to even get to the point of applying to law school, you have accomplished a lot already - don't let everyone else's journey paint a picture of what yours should look like. Good luck guys, I am confident that you will hear something soon! And if not UBC, maybe there is a different school that ends up being an even better opportunity (with cheaper gas and rent). 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

Patient0L
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, Moms_Spaghetti said:

I got my offer yesterday, and I have until April 4th to accept

Hey! If you were to put this on the accepted thread, it might throw a bone to a lot of folks starved for information…

• Like 1

shashi
  • Applicant
4 hours ago, elle.woods said:

Ah - I didn't look through it all too closely. I just counted UBC's and there are 32 offers (including a few discretionary). So I guess its a little closer in number than I thought. 

I thought discretionary decisions arent made until May? I wasnt able to find any UBC disc acceptances - do you mind sharing?

also, 100% with you on the ubc thing. i feel your PAIN WAITING and the urge to just. get. accepted. fingers crossed for you!!

Ah - I didn't look through it all too closely. I just counted UBC's and there are 32 offers (including a few discretionary). So I guess its a little closer in number than I thought. 

I thought discretionary decisions arent made until May? I wasnt able to find any UBC disc acceptances - do you mind sharing?

also, 100% with you on the ubc thing. i feel your PAIN WAITING and the urge to just. get. accepted. fingers crossed for you!!

Probablynot
13 hours ago, LordBONSAI said:

True. Only about 40 acceptances so far on that thread. Unless the majority of people who got accepted choose to remain silent, I think they have a lot more offers to send out.

Or the majority of people who recieved acceptances aren't aware of/interested in this forum? Just a thought...

• Like 1

mjslava
  • Applicant
3 minutes ago, Probablynot said:

Or the majority of people who recieved acceptances aren't aware of/interested in this forum? Just a thought...

Probably not.

LordBONSAI
  • Applicant
17 minutes ago, Probablynot said:

That doesn't explain the disparity in the numbers of offers reported here between UBC and other law schools of similar size. I also didn't notice any new data points on the subreddit. 

• Like 1

simsalabim
  • Law School Admit
12 hours ago, Moms_Spaghetti said:

Guys, my best advice is to not be hard on yourselves. I know its SO easy to look at stats and compare yourself and feel like it's now or never, but whether you get in this year or next does not define how good of a lawyer you will be. Don't let this waiting game chip away at your confidence. I got waitlisted last year and it felt like doom. It wasn't. It is so hard to even get to the point of applying to law school, you have accomplished a lot already - don't let everyone else's journey paint a picture of what yours should look like. Good luck guys, I am confident that you will hear something soon! And if not UBC, maybe there is a different school that ends up being an even better opportunity (with cheaper gas and rent). 

This is a really nice reminder :') Congrats on your seat! 

• Like 1

abouttime
  • Law School Admit
7 minutes ago, AustonMatthews34 said:

Called and confirmed, we ain't hearing nothing until April 😞 

I'm really having a hard time understanding the delay, I wonder if they got many more applicants that expected. 

Oh well, we have no control over it.

Patient0L
  • Law Student
49 minutes ago, abouttime said:

I'm really having a hard time understanding the delay, I wonder if they got many more applicants that expected. 

Kinda sucks that they are forcing people into a multiple seat deposit situation 😡 

15 hours ago, Moms_Spaghetti said:

I went to UofC and we were graded using GPA and letters, not percentages so i'm still not used to that and may not be entirely accurate considering (4.0 scale v. UBC's 4.3 scale) I was an A- at UofC but after conversion I had an A average at UBC (says between 85-89%). My LSAT was 167. I honestly did not bother with calculating the index score this cycle because I did not want to fixate on another stat. 

Congrats on getting on this cycle!

What do you think you did differently this time around? Or do you think it’s the applicant pool that shifted? 

Moms_Spaghetti
  • Law Student
25 minutes ago, Patient0L said:

Kinda sucks that they are forcing people into a multiple seat deposit situation 😡 

Congrats on getting on this cycle!

What do you think you did differently this time around? Or do you think it’s the applicant pool that shifted? 

Thank you! Oof, good question! The only thing that changed academically was my LSAT. Last cycle I took the January LSAT and I think a lot of seats were already secured by the time my file was complete. I rewrote the LSAT in October and my score improved so that’s probably the biggest factor for me. I also started working full time in the industry, I’m not sure if that would sway it too much though because the majority of applicants have some sort of legal experience. Aside from that I had some really good reference letters (one academic and one professional). It could be any combination though!  

pinsandneedles
  • Law School Admit
2 hours ago, abouttime said:

If it helps @abouttime the fellow in the admissions office I spoke to said they got around 1600 applicants this year compared to 1900 last year.

• Like 1

Patient0L
  • Law Student

@Moms_SpaghettiQuote:  I rewrote the LSAT in October and my score improved

That’ll do it!

Edited by Patient0L
Quoting’s gone glitchy

pastmidnight
  • Law Student

Just wanted to share that Allard sent out an open house invitation for March 30th to accepted students. I'm not sure what that signifies in terms of how many offers have gone out, especially if they are telling people who haven't heard back yet not to expect news until April. 

elle.woods
  • Law Student
3 hours ago, westvillage said:

I just called today, and they said that they won't be sending out any more acceptances until April. I asked how much of their class they have filled so far approximately, and they said 50%.

This is promising!!! 

• Like 1

LordBONSAI
  • Applicant
3 hours ago, westvillage said:

I just called today, and they said that they won't be sending out any more acceptances until April. I asked how much of their class they have filled so far approximately, and they said 50%.

So about 150 more calls to make, good luck to everyone.

Dear applicants, I am visiting this forum as a mom for about 3 years. Some schools have earned my respect during the admission cycles, for example, Osgoode and U of T. Those admission officers really recognize how tough waiting can be for young applicants. U of T admission officers let the applicants know in advance when the rounds will begin, which also shows their efficiency and professionalism. Osgoode admission officers are trying to send out offers as early as they can. I am sure that the 3 years in these schools will be very rewarding because of the staff who really care about their future students. I will definitely tell my friends whose kids are interested in law schools my impression about the top law schools in Canada.

During the waiting period, I would like to share with all of you the Serenity Prayer. Hope all your dreams come true, dear applicants!

God grant me,

The Serenity to accept the things I cannot change.

The Courage to change the things I can.

And, the Wisdom to know the difference.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

Kiki23
  • Applicant

I also just called and was also told that I will hear around end of April or early May, and that if I have any other offer, I should accept it.

Sadly I didn't apply anywhere else. 😅 I have an 85% average and 170 LSAT, and kinda thought that would be good enough to get into UBC but now I'm not so sure. 

I asked whether this year is particularly competitive, and she said that average GPA's have gone up since COVID. Lucky me, I graduated December 2019, so didn't get any of those COVID grade boosts. 🙃 Of course, I bet there's a lot of people who really had a hard time during COVID with online school etc. and are wishing they had graduated before all this started, so I should count my blessings. I think I'm going to assume I'm not getting in and try to just live my life.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kiki23 said:

I also just called and was also told that I will hear around end of April or early May, and that if I have any other offer, I should accept it.

Sadly I didn't apply anywhere else. 😅 I have an 85% average and 170 LSAT, and kinda thought that would be good enough to get into UBC but now I'm not so sure. 

I asked whether this year is particularly competitive, and she said that average GPA's have gone up since COVID. Lucky me, I graduated December 2019, so didn't get any of those COVID grade boosts. 🙃 Of course, I bet there's a lot of people who really had a hard time during COVID with online school etc. and are wishing they had graduated before all this started, so I should count my blessings. I think I'm going to assume I'm not getting in and try to just live my life.  

I still like your chances of being accepted. I suspect they are just telling everyone who calls right now to secure other offers... At least I'm hoping that's the case because if you don't get in I don't like my chances at all (gpa ~83 and change, 167 LSAT). 

• Like 1

pastmidnight
  • Law Student

I'm wondering if this year UBC had a higher yield rate than they anticipated because a significant chunk of those who received an offer in the November and December rounds committed. As a result they filled 50% of their class earlier in the cycle than they anticipated, and have slowed down offers to avoid a TRU/USask situation. 

Both of the posters above have good chances. I wouldn't count yourself out yet. One of you is above the GPA and LSAT medians and the other is barely below the LSAT median. 

The good news for those still waiting is that UBC seems to wrap up admissions by June, so people won't be left hanging over the summer? 

lawandordermaker
  • Law Student

I'd imagine the final U of T waive might free up some spots for you guys. ( I didn't apply to UBC, just lurking ) 

pastmidnight
  • Law Student
7 minutes ago, lawandordermaker said:

I'd imagine the final U of T waive might free up some spots for you guys. ( I didn't apply to UBC, just lurking ) 

I was also thinking this, but I went back and checked my offer expiration date and it was for March 1st. I'm sure that there were some people who accepted their UBC offer and put down a deposit before the March 1st deadline who have since been admitted to UofT and will end up going there, but that doesn't quite explain why we haven't seen a third round of offers yet. 

LordBONSAI
  • Applicant
5 hours ago, Kiki23 said:

I have an 85% average and 170 LSAT, and kinda thought that would be good enough to get into UBC but now I'm not so sure. 

That gives you a 93+ index. I mean if they're going to reject an applicant with such stats I'm curious what kind of students they look for.

sweetiepie37974
  • Applicant
On 3/15/2022 at 3:21 PM, Kiki23 said:

If they don’t admit you they’re outta their mind! Those are STELLAR stats that a lot of people (including myself) can only dream of. I’m sitting here with my 85.5% and 164 LSAT waiting not-so-patiently for April/May🥲