Toronto 1L Recruit 2024

grassfedcow0231

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

McMillan is the firm that gave their articling students offers during COVID and then strong-armed entire groups into giving up their summer holiday by threatening to revoke their offers if they didn't agree to start immediately, right? (He asks rhetorically)

I can see how that approach could lead to someone growing their "legal portfolio" faster, although I can't say it's my cup of tea! 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

McMillan is the firm that gave their articling students offers during COVID and then strong-armed entire groups into giving up their summer holiday by threatening to revoke their offers if they didn't agree to start immediately, right? (He asks rhetorically)

I can see how that approach could lead to someone growing their "legal portfolio" faster, although I can't say it's my cup of tea! 

That’s lovely that it’s not your cup of tea, but I was asked why I chose them and I gave my reason that’s all 🙂 

I don’t know too much of what policies firms adopted during Covid (bc I wasn’t a law student yet and wasn’t even aware of all these firms) but I’m sure all the firms did questionable things to navigate the pandemic so maybe you could speak to that as well? 

Lastly like I had mentioned in my last post, McMillan just adopted a new strategic management plan AFTER Covid to work to ensure its employees have resources for professional development (hence the building my legal practice point I brought up). But of course I don’t hold it against you for not knowing that or bringing it up if you do know about it, as I was able to have in-depths conversations with the minds behind the new plan and you might not have been able to (I’m not trying to assume whether you interviewed with McMillan or not). 

But I actually would like to learn more about McMillan because I am aware that all I do know right now is from the firm trying to sell itself; all I’m saying is McCarthys was trying to sell itself too and it didn’t work for me. 

Edited by Mide
  • Like 1

omigone
  • Law Student
15 hours ago, grassfedcow0231 said:

Any advice for keeping your head up after not getting a job this time around?

I'm assuming that you interviewed and didn't get a position. First of all, I'm sorry if this happened. I know it can be really disheartening to make it far in the process and get rejected. It's perfectly fine to be upset and take some time to engage in things that aren't law and the recruit. Once you're ready, I would recommend breaking down what happened and trying to improve for next time. You're likely a strong candidate if you made it into the interviews in 1L. It may be worth connecting with the recruiters at the student program and thanking them for their time and asking for feedback. Before the 2L recruit, I would recommend spending some time mock interviewing with as many summer students from the firms you're interested in as possible. They may be able to give you tips on your interview style and other factors. 

I also want to point out that your interview style and approach could be completely fine. In 1L, there are so few positions that sometimes one great candidate makes it just slightly over another. This is why feedback may be helpful in evaluating what went wrong. 

I wanted to lead with some advice because treating this recruit as a learning opportunity and working to improve where possible will do you more good in the long run than simply keeping your head up (which is also important to do). To answer your question more directly, here are a few factors to consider for perspective. For my examples, I'm going to be focusing on Bay Street, as this applies to the largest swath of applicants. 

1. Getting a Job in 1L is Extremely Unlikely: This is a gross oversimplification, but out of the 4,000 or so common law 1Ls in Canada, there are 76 jobs in Toronto. Assuming (extremely conservatively) that 25% of the 4000 apply, there's about an 8% chance of landing a job at a firm in 1L. Your odds change with your grades and your school etc., but this is just to illustrate that getting a 1L position is super rare.

2. Some Excellent firms ONLY recruit in 2L: There are many excellent firms that do not participate in the 1L recruit (think Stikeman, Goodmans, Torys and others on Bay Street for example). I have friends that are thrilled they didn't land in the 1L recruit because they were a better fit at firms that only would hire them in 2L. 

3. You Have the Opportunity to Learn and Grow This Summer: Some law schools offer legal internships and clinics where you'll have the chance to contribute to your community. Not for you? Maybe do a work-study placement in another country before your life is consumed with files. You could go on vacation and travel the world if you have the means. Legal experience is not a prerequisite for getting a 2L jobs. I know many people that worked service jobs, travelled or did some other experience that rounded them out as a person and they could talk at length about in their 2L interviews. 

There are likely even more opportunities that come with not working a law job in 1L. I would focus on trying to improve your interview skills (if applicable) and focusing on the rest of the semester (yes, your second semester grades will count) and you will be in a great place for OCIs.

Edited by omigone
  • Like 3

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, Mide said:

I don’t know too much of what policies firms adopted during Covid (bc I wasn’t a law student yet and wasn’t even aware of all these firms) but I’m sure all the firms did questionable things to navigate the pandemic so maybe you could speak to that as well? 

With respect to students and lawyers, no. It was just:

• McMillan, which strong-armed their students into giving up their holidays (and subsequently lost most of those folks); 
  • BLG and NRF, which cut associate salaries at the first sign of trouble (although they later reinstated them and provided backpay to those who stuck around); and 
  • Fogler Rubinoff (to the extent you count them amongst the big law firms), which pushed all their student's start dates back to January. 

Otherwise, the major firms more or less kept chugging along and making record profits from the perspective of the students and lawyers, so far as I recall. Although some of them did make quite questionable decisions with respect to support staff. 

1 hour ago, Mide said:

McMillan just adopted a new strategic management plan AFTER Covid to work to ensure its employees have resources for professional development (hence the building my legal practice point I brought up).

All the major firms have this kind of program. It sounds like McMillan just did a good job on its messaging for you 🙂

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
Forgot about Fogler Rubinoff.
  • Like 1
  • Nom! 1

1 hour ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

All the major firms have this kind of program. It sounds like McMillan just did a good job on its messaging for you 🙂

Yeah they did, that’s what I was saying in my other posts. McMillan just sold itself better to me than McCarthys. Loved this conversation though and that we were able to understand each other in the end☺️

• Like 1

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

I question how good the strategic direction at McMillan is when they decided to switch from the much cooler nickname of McBinch to just "McMillan".

Admittedly that was a bunch of mergers and decisions ago but I'm sure some of those folks are still around.

Edited by Rashabon
  • LOL 1
  • Nom! 1

Whatshappening
  • Law Student

Has anyone heard anything from Fasken for their internships?

• Sad 1

Marie144
  • Applicant
On 2/22/2024 at 7:15 PM, flowergirl said:

Did offers for the ALSSP also go out today?

I haven't heard anything. Do you know if all offers went out?

Marie144
  • Applicant
On 2/6/2024 at 10:35 AM, Mia said:

I got a call from MAG for ALSSP, around 8:30 am.  

Have you heard back since your interview?

Mia
  • Law Student
49 minutes ago, Marie144 said:

Have you heard back since your interview?

Yes, I received a call on Feb 23rd and accepted the offer immediately. 

Marie144
  • Applicant
1 hour ago, Mia said:

Yes, I received a call on Feb 23rd and accepted the offer immediately. 

Ok. Which location? My interview was on the 22nd, when was yours? Thanks!

whyamiinlawschool
  • Law Student
On 2/29/2024 at 4:43 PM, Whatshappening said:

Has anyone heard anything from Fasken for their internships?

has anyone heard about fasken the tech internship?