What class did you score your highest mark in, and what class did you score you lowest mark in?

canuckfanatic

canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer

Thought this would make for a fun discussion. What were your highest and lowest marks in law school (or law school so far)?

My highest was a flat A in Video Game Law. I used that class to complete my major paper requirement. It helped that the class was so small that it wasn't subject to the normal grade curve requirements.

My lowest was a flat C in Trusts. I just had no motivation to study for that exam, which was closed book. I half-assed some flash cards 2 days beforehand and went in hoping for the best.

• Like 1

90 in forestry law. (A+) BCs forest and range practices act and the supporting regs and other statutes are fun.

70 in environmental law. (B-)  Entirely theory based, no actual BC law or really any Canadian law.

Edited by Kurrika

Twenty
  • Articling Student

Aced Criminal Law. I really liked the mix of statutory interpretation and case law. Breaking down a crime into its Actus Reus and Mens Rea was fun, and playing around with the different tests (from the Criminal Code or Common law) to analyze fact patterns was great. 

Barely passed Corporate Income Tax. It was bad. Maybe its one of those classes that you either get or you don't, but what made it worse was the lack of case law discussed in lectures to provide guidance on the provisions of the ITA that I was struggling with. Tax is hard. 

Edited by Twenty
  • Like 2

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer
51 minutes ago, Jaggers said:

I got a B+ in evidence.

As your lowest or highest? 😉

Edited by Pantalaimon

Aureliuse
  • Lawyer

"B+" in family law, estates, trust, and real estate. I am still salty that someone "stole" my "A" in family law 😂

"C" in Constitution Law (Let's just say that on the exam, I did not see how the person in the fact pattern's Charter rights were violated). I would've told that fictional person to "suck it up and move on."

• LOL 6

goosie
  • Lawyer

A+ on my Constitutional midterm which I choose to still count since the pandemic made it so that all of our final grades were pass/fail. If it doesn't count then A for an external moot.

C+ in Income Tax. Genuinely shattered me at the time - I actually liked the class, just had a horrible exam day.

• Like 1

Vizslaw
  • Lawyer

A+ in Criminal Procedure.

C+ in Family Law. That was my only mark in law school below a B and it was devastating at the time, but it sure made for some fun interview answers. One firm asked me what happened and I said there was nothing to worry about so long as they don't ask me to calculate the division of net family property... lol. I mean, that exam was closed book which was rather silly. 

• Like 2

TobyFlenderson
  • Lawyer

B+ in employment. Not enough hours in the day for that exam, though.

B- in administrative law. Having a participation component over Zoom was an unfortunate choice. 

• Like 1

Nightwing
  • Law Student

A+ in an external moot. The professor was pretty checked out for most of the semester (he came to one practice I think?) but blessed us all with that grade. 

B- in wills. An NFP question completely threw me off my game and I got 0/3 on an easy throwaway question. Beat myself up about it but I expected a lot worse. 

Chief Keef
  • Lawyer

A- in both of Constitutional Law & Labour Law. I also “totally would have trust me dude” gotten A+ in all my courses in the winter 2020 semester but admin made pass/fail mandatory….

C+ in Commercial, I deservedly got slapped after doing nothing for that class until a week and a half before the exam this semester

Edited by Chief Keef
  • Like 3

Dussy
  • Law Student

Just finished 1L. A (highest mark at Queens) in Public, Constitutional, and Torts. I got a B in Property. I found the material on real property very challenging.

Obi-wan
  • Articling Student

Just finished 1L. 

A+ in legal research (ha does this even count??????)

B in Contracts. Didn't vibe w/ the prof, but I also had no concept of how to make a good summary in first semester. 

• Like 1

ThreeWhiteLights
  • Law Student

Highest was an A- in Crim, lowest was a B in property. 

How people finish 1L and I think they want to continue in property law is beyond me. 

• LOL 2

Lanyy
  • Law Student

My highest mark was an A in Constitutional.

Lowest mark was a B in Property. 

Also just finished 1L so it's likely my lowest mark will end up being worse than a B (lol). 

KingoftheBritons
  • Law Student

B+ in Torts, Property, LRW

C + in Contracts.. essay questions on exams are absolute nightmare fuel for me. Unfortunate as I understood the material quite thoroughly. Oh well. 

• Like 1

historicaladvantage

A+ in Constitutional Law and a couple other courses which were, like, paper courses... 

B in a few courses. 

Edited by historicaladvantage

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

A+ in a half dozen courses or so. 

I got a B+ in crim pro. 

Sorry, @canuckfanatic. If it helps, I got more than my share of C-range grades in undergrad 😛 

LordDenning
  • Articling Student

Just finished 2L. Highest mark(s) = A+ in Corporations, Contracts, and Tax. Lowest = B- in a random optional seminar class (don’t want to specify further for the sake of anonymity).