TRU IS RESCINDING OFFERS

studentoflaw

whocaresnow
  • Applicant

Whats baffling to me is that on Monday June 14th they sent out an email updating the class of 2024 about the Fall semester and three days later they are calling to inform us that they won't be accepting us 

• Sad 3
  • LOL 1

Apple
  • Lawyer
32 minutes ago, CBCer said:

I work with CBC radio in Kamloops and would love to hear from some students about their experiences getting these letters rescinded. If you are interested in sharing your story publicly so we can put those concerns to TRU directly, I would love to hear from you. My cell is 250-682-3881.

Thanks!

Just a heads up, you have 30 minutes to edit your post to remove personal information. Otherwise, it's forever. Perhaps get people to DM you instead of having your cell publicly available permanently. Super appreciate you looking into this issue though! 

• Like 1

Just now, Ryn said:

I've confirmed that @CBCer does in fact work for the CBC. I'm glad to see this getting some public attention.

Thanks for that - any one who is interested can call or email me. My cell is 250-682-3881 and my office is 250-374-6802. My email is jenifer.norwell@cbc.ca.

• Like 5

birdlawexpert
  • Law Student

Hi everyone, I just want to say that I’m incredibly sorry for what you’re going through, this is honestly inexcusable on tru’s part. I just wanted to say that if any of you are having trouble breaking your leases in Kamloops, I would be happy to take over the lease as I am looking for a place in the area. Hopefully this will take some stress off for at least one person. 

• Like 3

VanillaLatte
  • Law School Admit

I am very sorry to everyone who had to experience this, I cannot possibly imagine how difficult this is. I wish you all the best of luck! Agreeing with the post above, if anyone is stuck in a lease - I am searching and would be happy to look into taking over someones. Please dm me. Again, very sorry! 

• Like 1

dimsum1
  • Law School Admit
On 6/18/2021 at 12:25 PM, Hegdis said:

And I repeat - depending on how this is handled, I think future applicants may very well hesitate to trust TRU with their future.

Well, FWIW, this future applicant just dropped TRU from the list.  It wasn't my top choice anyway but now I'm definitely not considering it.

• Ryn featured this topic
ZineZ
  • Lawyer
2 minutes ago, NEWS1130Reporter said:

Hi everyone, my name is Monika Gul, I'm a reporter with NEWS 1130 in Vancouver. Hoping to talk to people who have been affected by this move. Please feel free to message me here, e-mail me at monika.gul@rci.rogers.com, or give our newsroom a call at 604-877-4400. Thanks ahead of time.

We've confirmed that @NEWS1130Reporter does work for NEWS 1130 - feel free to reach out if you wish to do so. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

LordDenningMR

I'm sorry for all the people affected by this. I cannot imagine what this would feel like, having worked so hard to get an acceptance only to have it rescinded. Whatever the out come, remember that your resilience and fortitude got you this far and to hang in there.

Thrive92
  • Applicant
21 hours ago, CBCer said:

I should also add that we have confirmed the dean of TRU law will be on our morning show, Daybreak Kamloops at 7:10 a.m. PST tomorrow if you want to listen: https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio Just pick the Kamloops stream.

It would be great to get some voices from students today so we could get her to react directly to them.

Thanks in advance!

I was unable to listen to the radio in time; will the segment be uploaded on the CBC Listen website by any chance?

Cinnamongal
  • Law Student
21 minutes ago, Thrive92 said:

I was unable to listen to the radio in time; will the segment be uploaded on the CBC Listen website by any chance?

I tuned in and what was spoken on the radio this morning can also be seen in this article by CBC: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/tru-law-school-42-students-acceptance-1.6073889. While it is still not okay what happened, I hope this can provide some clarity into the situation.

Edited by Cinnamongal
  • Thanks 1

Thrive92
  • Applicant
5 minutes ago, Cinnamongal said:

I tuned in and what was spoken on the radio this morning can also be seen in this article by CBC: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/tru-law-school-42-students-acceptance-1.6073889. While it is still not okay what happened, I hope this can provide some clarity into the situation.

5 minutes ago, Renerik said:

thank you 🙂

• Like 1

Can anyone clarify why we are seeing both 42 and 26? How many students had their offers rescinded?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hegdis said:

Can anyone clarify why we are seeing both 42 and 26? How many students had their offers rescinded?

I was told 42 by TRU when they notified me. I believe 26 is the number actually on the overflow waitlist now (after they have notified/discussed with everyone). I’m assuming that means some of the 42 people impacted have chosen either to withdraw from TRU and get their deposit back, or to defer to fall 2022 without bothering to waitlist for a chance at 2021.

• Like 2

TRULawAlum
  • Articling Student

Hi all, I am not sure if this has been suggested yet, but in addition to contacting the media I think you should be contacting individual benchers from the Law Society of BC. They may be helpful.

You can contact benchers who are specific to Kamloops. Their contact information is listed on the Law Society of BC Website. 

Side note: I know this is a bad look for the TRU Administration, but don't let it taint your view of the school in general. I had an excellent experience at TRU Law, the professors are amazing, the school community is supportive and tight knit and you will have a great three years. Hang in there! 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, CBCer said:

In case you missed the radio version, here's what CBC did for web: https://www.cbc.ca/news/multi-lineup-listing/tru-law-school-26-students-acceptance-1.6073889

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Is it possible to follow up with the dean to check on the mention of 26? Is this 26 currently on the waitlist? Or were there 42 to start and only 26 on the waitlist now? 

If I was given incorrect information about the 42 from TRU, then that’s fine—I understand mistakes can happen. But to imply that there were never 42 people impacted and I was merely confused by Twitter.. well, that’s not where I got my initial information(referring to the radio clip. Not sure if this was in the article).

Edited by Abc321
  • Like 1

Toad
  • Lawyer

Another story where the dean is interviewed:

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kamloops/337590/TRU-says-42-students-accepted-to-law-school-for-September-now-on-wait-list-due-to-oversubscribed-program

Interesting quote: “We have reason to believe that most schools in Canada are in fact oversubscribed. And we decided to tell students sooner rather than later, so that they could decide what their options are,” Millard said."

Their "reason to believe" might just be that most schools tend to over offer with the assumption that people will drop out over the summer. It does make me wonder though how other law schools might try to deal with this issue if it arises.

Edited by Toad

Byakkosan
  • Law Student
8 minutes ago, Toad said:

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kamloops/337590/TRU-says-42-students-accepted-to-law-school-for-September-now-on-wait-list-due-to-oversubscribed-program

Interesting quote: “We have reason to believe that most schools in Canada are in fact oversubscribed. And we decided to tell students sooner rather than later, so that they could decide what their options are,” Millard said."

Their "reason to believe" might just be that most schools tend to over offer with the assumption that people will drop out over the summer. It does make me wonder though how other law schools might try to deal with this issue if it arises.

I mean, if you check the ontario threads, there are still people waiting to hear back. 

I still haven't heard back from Osgoode or queens myself. I think other schools might just be keeping people waiting for as long as possible-their way of dealing with over-enrollment. 

17 minutes ago, Toad said:

I don't buy this. I don't think most schools are over enrolled. And even if they are, none of them have taken away acceptances. 

And even if the school's were overbooked and did rescind acceptances, that wouldn't excuse TRU. It would just give them some company in the shitty adminstration category. 

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

Weirdly it actually says in the photo caption "Thompson Rivers University has told 42 students, each of whom had accepted offers of admission into the law program, that they are being bumped to the waitlist or can defer to next year. (tru.ca)" [Emphasis added]

Presumably 26 of those students accepted being placed on the waitlist and the other 16 declined.

• Like 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer

A sampling of public opinion (since this was a topic of speculation earlier):

0.png

P.S. - I'm not saying the affected students weren't wronged or don't have a right to feel they were, because they were and they do. It's just that not everyone appreciates that.

Edited by CleanHands
  • LOL 4

Lawyer1017
  • Law School Admit
21 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

A sampling of public opinion (since this was a topic of speculation earlier):

0.png

P.S. - I'm not saying the affected students weren't wronged or don't have a right to feel they were, because they were and they do. It's just that not everyone appreciates that.

No shortage of imbeciles in this world. They can take their negativity elsewhere

• Like 1