Welcome!

Ryn

StephenToast
  • Law Student
7 minutes ago, ZedsDead said:

@Ryn @ZineZ @StephenToast thank you so much for starting this. Loving the layout and template so far. Cheers to a new beginning.

I didn't start this, I'm just hanging around the discord all the time cos I have nothing else to do. It's all Ryn, ZinZ, and @TobyFlenderson

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It's good to be home. All we're missing is a discussion on which undergard degree is hardest and a tier list of Canadian schools. 

• Like 1

Psychometronic
  • Lawyer

Thank you Ryn & Co. for starting this forum. Looking forward to watching it grow!

ZineZ
  • Lawyer
6 minutes ago, LMP said:

It's good to be home. All we're missing is a discussion on which undergard degree is hardest and a tier list of Canadian schools. 

I would very much like a couple of days to settle into my new role before grabbing the amount of alcohol needed to moderate those discussions. 

• Like 2

Toad
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, LMP said:

We all joke about it, but I suspect threads about tiers for Canadian law schools drove a great deal of traffic to lawstudents.ca from Google.

Hopefully we can eventually get to a traffic level similar to lawstudents.ca where the majority of students entering law school in any given year have at least heard of the site.

• Like 2

GreyDude
  • Law Student

This is great! Thank you for making it happen so quickly. 

… so now I guess I’ll just wait an hour and then see if I can still edit this post. 😇

• Like 1

aceattorney
  • Law Student

Thanks for starting this! It's nice to have a promising replacement

• Like 1

Philosophy
  • Law Student

This seems and feels really similar to the original LS.CA. 

Thank you so much mods & creators. Y'all are awesome!!

• Like 1

Obi-wan
  • Articling Student

Thank you for your dedication to this community!!! Ls was a tremendous guide as I applied to law school and navigated 1L. I’m glad to have this space again for when I undoubtably have q’s about the upcoming 2L recruit🤩

• Like 2

I wonder if this is what Heenan Blaikie lawyers must have felt one morning when they found out their firm was closing down... except of course, in this case apparently it's already gone. I apparently missed the explanation...

KingoftheBritons
  • Law Student

Many thanks to the new mods! Looking forward to some fruitful discussions. 

ZineZ
  • Lawyer

1 hour ago, Pyke said:

I wonder if this is what Heenan Blaikie lawyers must have felt one morning when they found out their firm was closing down... except of course, in this case apparently it's already gone. I apparently missed the explanation...

Oh this must have been an interesting message to wake up to.  Here's a brief summary:

What Happened: 

About a week ago, Morgan posted on lawstudents that the website would be shutting down. The original time frame had been to allow for a two week period before the website went down. Morgan explained that they could no longer run the website due to a confluence of factors including their personal life and the time + complexity needed to run something like ls.ca. There was quite a bit of back and forth, but the base summary is that the decision was made in consultation with ls mods and wasn't easy for anyone. In the end, the complexities of transferring that much personal data and the burden of handling the administration of such a website (revenue, upkeep etc) meant that the site would go down. It seems like the privacy aspect was one of the big factors.

A discord and a reddit was created in the interim - and a number of users from the forum assisted with archiving posts of value. You'll find the contact information for a number of users in the OT section (working to see if there's a better home for it). Unfortunately, the website had to be brought down earlier in the end as Morgan is dealing with a pressing personal matter.

Where We Are:

@Ryn graciously offered to help set up a new home for us here, on CanLawForum. They are owed a huge debt alongside with @TobyFlenderson for the work that has been done to ensure that the community continues.

The idea is to keep this forum going in conjunction with the Discord. We haven't really put any limits on what can go where, but it seems like some discussions are naturally better for the Forum (law news, in-depth advice etc) while others seem to fit better on the Discord (some of the more casual OT topics, casual conversations in the law school channels).

I've included Morgan's announcement to this post. 

Morgan's Announcement - Part 1.PNG

Morgan's Announcement - Part 2.PNG

• Like 3

efrefgg
  • Undergrad
4 minutes ago, ZineZ said:

Oh this must have been an interesting message to wake up to.  Here's a brief summary:

What Happened: 

About a week ago, Morgan posted on lawstudents that the website would be shutting down. The original time frame had been to allow for a two week period before the website went down. Morgan explained that they could no longer run the website due to a confluence of factors including their personal life and the time + complexity needed to run something like ls.ca. There was quite a bit of back and forth, but the base summary is that the decision was made in consultation with ls mods and wasn't easy for anyone. In the end, the complexities of transferring that much personal data and the burden of handling the administration of such a website (revenue, upkeep etc) meant that the site would go down. It seems like the privacy aspect was one of the big factors.

A discord and a reddit was created in the interim - and a number of users from the forum assisted with archiving posts of value. You'll find the contact information for a number of users in the OT section (working to see if there's a better home for it). Unfortunately, the website had to be brought down earlier in the end as Morgan is dealing with a pressing personal matter.

@Ryn graciously offered to help set up a new home for us here, on CanLawForum. They are owed a huge debt alongside with @TobyFlenderson for the work that has been done to ensure that the community continues.

'Gratz on mod, btw.

• Like 1
  • Nom! 1

2 minutes ago, ZineZ said:

What Happened

I see we're going full HRC on the subject of LS.ca closure 🙂

image.png.21be6f8441bc9e01a3d44f8a3a5da6b8.png

• Nom! 3