Big Law Salary Increase

Ivermectin4President

Gonewest
  • Lawyer

Calgary Update

Confirmed raises at BLG, Blakes, Osler, NRF and Stikes. Maybe Torys. BDP has acknowledged but hasn't raised yet. 10k raises for 2019 call years and newer, 15k years for 2019 and older (old in brackets):

• 2021: ? (85-92k)
  • 2020: 115k (105k)
  • 2019: 145k (130k)
  • 2018: 165k (150k)
  • 2017: 185k (170k)
  • etc.
Edited by Gonewest
  • Thanks 1

minesandminerals
  • Lawyer
3 hours ago, Gonewest said:

Calgary Update

Confirmed raises at BLG, Blakes, Osler, NRF and Stikes. Maybe Torys. BDP has acknowledged but hasn't raised yet. 10k raises for 2019 call years and newer, 15k years for 2019 and older (old in brackets):

• 2021: ? (85-92k)
  • 2020: 115k (105k)
  • 2019: 145k (130k)
  • 2018: 165k (150k)
  • 2017: 185k (170k)
  • etc.

I can confirm that this isn’t entirely accurate. That said, it’s been a confounding couple of weeks. The reluctance of Calgary firms to move on associate comp made my decision to accept a US lateral offer a lot easier (not that the raise would have ultimately made a difference, even with the raise I’ll still double my base comp by heading down south). 

• Like 1

Chrysander
  • Lawyer
56 minutes ago, minesandminerals said:

I can confirm that this isn’t entirely accurate. That said, it’s been a confounding couple of weeks. The reluctance of Calgary firms to move on associate comp made my decision to accept a US lateral offer a lot easier (not that the raise would have ultimately made a difference, even with the raise I’ll still double my base comp by heading down south). 

You go girl!

Montreal seems to be doling out increases as well. Some firms have already announced (Norton, Gowlings, Fasken), others shortly. There seems to be a certain level of coordination between them to hop on the same scale (other than Davies and Stikeman who are higher, as always), which seems to be about 15k less than Toronto at all levels (though Montreal salaries are generally not in lock step as of year 4 and the difference between a lower performer and higher performer can be up to 25k for base pay). 

C_Terror
  • Lawyer
29 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

It seems the only unannounced at this point is Bennett Jones and whether they're moving up the scale. 

Seems inevitable. One of their main selling points and way to poach/attract talent was that they always paid more than other firms with the exception of Davies.

Lufty123
  • Lawyer
16 hours ago, smokedsalmonisgreat said:

Any word on firms like weirfoulds, Gowlings, Miller Thomson, Aird Berlis or firms in this market?

Gowlings - no formal confirmation but I've heard rumours they are adopting the raise. Haven't heard a confirmation from the other three but I don't think they have a choice at this point. 

On 10/26/2021 at 7:50 AM, Lufty123 said:

Gowlings - no formal confirmation but I've heard rumours they are adopting the raise. Haven't heard a confirmation from the other three but I don't think they have a choice at this point. 

Gowlings Montreal announced raises last week. I assume Toronto will follow soon.

Chuck
  • Law Student
17 hours ago, mtler said:

Gowlings Montreal announced raises last week. I assume Toronto will follow soon.

Any idea what the new Montreal scale is (roughly)?

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

Any idea what the new Montreal scale is (roughly)?

From what I've gathered, roughly 15k less than the Toronto scale for more recent calls, 20-25k less for more senior associates.

Hitman9172
  • Lawyer
12 hours ago, JohnsonWest said:

Any news on Vancouver? 

From what I've heard, Osler, Blakes, BLG, McCarthy's, and Cassels Brock have given raises in Vancouver. Everyone else did $10k raise (1-3 year call) or $15k raise (4+ year call) depending on seniority, but Cassels matched Toronto scale and did $20k and $25k raise). Most firms saying raises will be given at end of Feb, retroactive to January 1st. I expect all of the other big firms in Van will fall in line soon, if they haven't already.

• Thanks 1

Freshtransplant
  • Lawyer
12 hours ago, JohnsonWest said:

Any news on Vancouver? 

Blake’s has confirmed the following scale (McCarthys, Gowlings and BLG apparently matched but can’t confirm). Other big firms seem to be following suite based on what my peers at those firms are saying:

Stub Year: $115,000

2nd Year: $127,000

3rd Year: $142,000

4th: $157,000

5th: $175,000

6th: $190,000

7th: $200,000

On 10/25/2021 at 3:48 PM, smokedsalmonisgreat said:

Any word on firms like weirfoulds, Gowlings, Miller Thomson, Aird Berlis or firms in this market?

Miller Thomson just sent out an email confirming the raises