Big Law Salary Increase

Ivermectin4President

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
23 minutes ago, JaneDoe said:

Who, in Toronto, hasn’t announced at this point? 

You really expect someone to compile a list for you? 

JaneDoe
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

You really expect someone to compile a list for you? 

I know that there are many lawyers out there compiling lists for their respective firms. So the resource exists. And it would not necessarily include any identifying information. 

seeing this is a resource sharing platform, yes BQ, I was looking for some list or other. 

is that so offensive? 

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

Call me old fashioned, but I think asking other people to make you a list instead of reading four pages of an internet forum is lazy enough to warrant comment.

I don’t find it offensive. Just entitled. 

JaneDoe
  • Lawyer

I did read all pages of this thread. Not entitled when I know for a fact that some of the firms that announced have not been mentioned on this thread. 

Like I said, I know for a fact that resource is out there and I am asking on a resource platform for information.  

Now, if you have nothing meaningful or kind to contribute, you can stop replying to my posts. 

Lycidas
  • Law Student
8 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Call me old fashioned, but I think asking other people to make you a list instead of reading four pages of an internet forum is lazy enough to warrant comment.

I don’t find it offensive. Just entitled. 

Lmao chill, jesus christ 

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
19 minutes ago, JaneDoe said:

I know for a fact that some of the firms that announced have not been mentioned on this thread. 

… then mention them?

This bothers me more than your initial request for people to write you a list. 

If you want people to share information with you, you should similarly be sharing your information with them. That’s the central premise of “resource sharing platforms”. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois

Pendragon
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, JaneDoe said:

Who, in Toronto, hasn’t announced at this point? 

I did read all pages of this thread. Not entitled when I know for a fact that some of the firms that announced have not been mentioned on this thread. 

Like I said, I know for a fact that resource is out there and I am asking on a resource platform for information.  

Now, if you have nothing meaningful or kind to contribute, you can stop replying to my posts. 

It's strange how this is the first post you would make in this now 13 page thread, as if everyone has access to the same information you do. Then you go on to argue with someone about sharing information on a resource-sharing platform when you are choosing to withhold information that could possibly help others here. I think the other poster has actually shared a lot more information in this thread than you have.

JaneDoe
  • Lawyer
6 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

It's strange how this is the first post you would make in this now 13 page thread, as if everyone has access to the same information you do. Then you go on to argue with someone about sharing information on a resource-sharing platform when you are choosing to withhold information that could possibly help others here. I think the other poster has actually shared a lot more information in this thread than you have.

This is not a competition of who shares more information. This is my first time posting on this website.

I have an issue with BQ being snarky. From my time as a “lurker”, I think I am not the first. 

I am also not trying to keep info to myself. It just might risk my anonymity (if not now then later). 

Again, like I said to BQ privately, if you don’t like my question, I am sure you all have better things to do with your evening. You can just move along. 

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
6 hours ago, JaneDoe said:

Again, like I said to BQ privately, if you don’t like my question, I am sure you all have better things to do with your evening. You can just move along. 

You didn't say this to me privately. You PMed me two rambly, rude messages within seconds of each other in different direct messaging threads, then when I asked you to stop spamming me you said: 

8 hours ago, JaneDoe said:

Oh picked a fight you can’t handle I see .. that is ok. 

To which I snarkily replied and told you to have a good night.

You're welcome to call me snarky or generally dislike me, I'm not worried about it. But please don't misrepresent our private conversation as if you were a respectful individual in that interaction. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
Note: I have a general policy against disclosing things said to me via PM, even if they’re exceptionally rude. But I view Jane Doe attempting to rely on them as a waiver of that confidentiality.
  • Like 3
  • LOL 2

JaneDoe
  • Lawyer
5 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

You didn't say this to me privately. You PMed me two rambly, rude messages within seconds of each other in different direct messaging threads, then when I asked you to stop spamming me you said: 

To which I snarkily replied and told you to have a good night.

You're welcome to call me snarky or generally dislike me, I'm not worried about it. But please don't misrepresent our private conversation as if you were a respectful individual in that interaction. 

You really need to find something better to do BQ. 

I PM’d you asking why you were rude to which you replied “stop spamming.” I then followed up with a second PM (albeit in a different threat apparently - I just hit message again as opposed to go to our previous message). The contents were the exact same as the first reply I posted here, seen AFTER your stop spamming comment.

The message you quote above is as snarky response as you always give on this board. You make a condescending comment (or two or three) and did not want to get called out for it. 

I’ve asked you to move along, several times now - but you called me entitled. For asking a question you did not like. 

Please stop replying to me. This thread should go back to its original purpose.

And I will be asking many more questions in the future - if you don’t like them - there is no need to be unkind. Once again, just move along. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer
14 hours ago, JaneDoe said:

I am also not trying to keep info to myself. It just might risk my anonymity (if not now then later). 

If this is actually true, there are ways around that. There are a few people in the thread that have either offered to post on others' behalf to anonymize the information or have posted what others have PM'd them. You can be more specific than "some firms" and identify categories such as sisters, midsize, boutiques, etc. You also apparently have information on more than one firm and presumably not every one will somehow identify you in the future.

There may not be a competition for sharing the most information, but your fishing expedition might be more fruitful if you attach some bait.

• Like 1

RaginaldPipin
  • Lawyer

I’m greatly offended about how badly this thread has veered off topic. And please do not PM me. Have a great weekend everyone! 

• LOL 1
  • Nom! 1

AnomanderRake
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, RaginaldPipin said:

I’m greatly offended about how badly this thread has veered off topic. And please do not PM me. Have a great weekend everyone! 

I am greatly distressed that you have been offended. Please accept my most sincere apologies. Your opinion is important to us.

• Like 1

Anyone know how this all shakes down to "large" regional firms? I'm currently articling with a "large" firm in Western Canada that has quite a few offices across the Prairies but no Vancouver or Toronto presence.

delije89
  • Lawyer

No idea about large regional firms, but I am working at a large national firm in Ottawa. Once the bump was announced in our Toronto office, we were told that Ottawa would be "assessed separately" based on current market trends. A few days later, presumably after the firm reviewed how other similar firms in Ottawa would proceed, we were told that we would also receive a salary increase. It's not as large as the Toronto bump but it's not insignificant either.  

• Like 1

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer
22 minutes ago, Chrysander said:

Some national firms haven’t announced or acknowledged any raises at all. 

Yeah I'm hearing that in Calgary too. It'll be interesting if the lock-step breaks, even temporarily.

switchdog
  • Lawyer

Any lawyers at mid-size firms (particularly in Toronto) hear anything yet? I know a lot of these firms typically pay a bit under the Bay St. scale, so would be nice to know if they will be maintaining the gap or letting it grow. My firm has been silent. 

3 hours ago, switchdog said:

Any lawyers at mid-size firms (particularly in Toronto) hear anything yet? I know a lot of these firms typically pay a bit under the Bay St. scale, so would be nice to know if they will be maintaining the gap or letting it grow. My firm has been silent. 

“Mid-size” is always so subjective, but A&B and Lenczner Slaght have announced the raises. I wouldn’t consider A&B mid, but apparently that’s what they’re deemed. 

37 minutes ago, chicken said:

Rumours are McMillan has announced the raise as well

Heard from my friend that they are increasing all associate salaries to match market, except 2020 calls. 

Edited by Yyzer

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
On 10/28/2021 at 11:10 AM, mtler said:

From what I've gathered, roughly 15k less than the Toronto scale for more recent calls, 20-25k less for more senior associates.

so the new starting salary would be 115k? which according to the numbers is exactly Vancouver's which i find interesting because in the past it seemed Montreal's was a bit more than vancouver's, if im not mistaken  

5 hours ago, Yyzer said:

Heard from my friend that they are increasing all associate salaries to match market, except 2020 calls. 

Confirmed McMillan matching at 130k per year for first year associates. Heard this also. 

Seems like the non “seven sisters” are coming along