Clerkship Interviews 2022

Pupper111

duq
  • Law Student
On 2/10/2022 at 8:56 AM, huh said:

Has anyone ever been in the situation where their letter of reference or transcript got sent late? Does it affect your chances of receiving interviews in the FCC/FCA? My transcript was only received Monday...

- A stressed out applicant 

@huh somehow one of my references didn't get submitted properly and they emailed me about it on Jan 28 - I was able to get it to them by Jan 30, but I'm sure it set me back quite a bit 😕 hope to hear back soon, but fingers crossed for both of us :~)

12 hours ago, veggie_swan said:

Has anyone heard about second round interviews for BCSC or BCCA?

@veggie_swan I was told we should be notified during the week of Feb 21 (soon!) and then final interviews are to be scheduled for the week of Feb 28 (but who knows really, that's probably just a ballpark)

Edited by duq
because who knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Thanks 1

notnotadog
  • Lawyer

Just confirming: no one has an SCC interview after next week, right? What's the latest we've heard? Just want to see if the chances of offers going out at the end of next week on Thursday or Friday are likely. I'm on Monday so I'm not sure how far they stretch. 

• Angry 1

FCA Clerkship
  • Lawyer

With respect to letter of reference and transcripts received after the deadline, it's usually not a big deal, at least for the FC/FCA. The program coordinators usually allow for 2 weeks after the deadline before making the applications available to judges. As long as your material is received within those 2 weeks, the application will not be treated any differently. 

For those applications that are completed after those 2 weeks, they will simply appear on the list of candidates. However, because not everyone will notice the additions, the program coordinators will email judges regularly to indicate which names have been added.

Hope that helps.

• Thanks 2

whatlikeitshard
  • Lawyer
On 2/18/2022 at 12:24 PM, notnotadog said:

Just confirming: no one has an SCC interview after next week, right? What's the latest we've heard? Just want to see if the chances of offers going out at the end of next week on Thursday or Friday are likely. I'm on Monday so I'm not sure how far they stretch. 

I haven't heard of any! Offers can go into the next week though. Hope yours went well. 

Also for SCC applicants. Heads up, they are only hiring 3 clerks per judge this year. 

2022clerkapp
  • Articling Student
6 hours ago, whatlikeitshard said:

I haven't heard of any! Offers can go into the next week though. Hope yours went well. 

Also for SCC applicants. Heads up, they are only hiring 3 clerks per judge this year. 

Are you sure? I thought maybe some Judges would only hire 3 if they kept one on from last year for the new optional 2-year term, but I didn’t think every Judge would be doing that, where did you hear this? 

Edited by 2022clerkapp

notnotadog
  • Lawyer
15 hours ago, 2022clerkapp said:

Are you sure? I thought maybe some Judges would only hire 3 if they kept one on from last year for the new optional 2-year term, but I didn’t think every Judge would be doing that, where did you hear this? 

Confirmed by UofT CDO.

Sucks! Not that I thought I had high chances to begin with, but that 36 to 27 drop sucks. 

• Sad 1

yetanotherlawstudent
  • Law Student
On 2/17/2022 at 9:54 AM, veggie_swan said:

Has anyone heard about second round interviews for BCSC or BCCA?

Heard from BCCA today with an interview scheduled for next Wednesday (March 2).

• Like 2

uofzoomlaw
  • Law Student
On 2/16/2022 at 3:50 PM, FCA Clerkship said:

Just want to clear-up some misconceptions. FCA offers will come out on March 4. Interviews are still currently taking place and will take place into late February/very early March. FC is a little different: most offers will come out on March 4, but some judges don't interview until after the more senior judges have selected their law clerks.

FC/FCA/ONCA/BCCA all release offers at the same time (March 4). There is no seniority among courts, only among judges of an individual court. 

Candidates who are made an offer occasionally turn it down. Moreover, at least at the FC and FCA, because of seniority, offers from more junior judges are sometimes held back while waiting to finalize a more senior judge's selection. As a result, if you don't receive an offer on March 4, it doesn't mean that you won't get an offer later. If you have any concerns, best to reach out to the coordinator of that particular law clerk program. They are VERY, VERY nice people.

But if you'd prefer to remain anonymous, feel free to post your question here and I'll do my best to answer it. 

I really appreciate the information. May I ask what you (or anyone else) would advise if someone ends up in a situation in which they have a provincial trial court offer (deadline to accept: mid March), but FCC would be their first choice? Ie. would there be a way of finding out whether one is in line for an FCC interview before the deadline for accepting the provincial trial clerkship passes?

• Articling Student
1 hour ago, uofzoomlaw said:

I really appreciate the information. May I ask what you (or anyone else) would advise if someone ends up in a situation in which they have a provincial trial court offer (deadline to accept: mid March), but FCC would be their first choice? Ie. would there be a way of finding out whether one is in line for an FCC interview before the deadline for accepting the provincial trial clerkship passes?

If you have interviewed already with the FCC, then you should hear next Friday (March 4) if a judge has selected you. Usually offers need to be accepted by Monday or Tuesday the following week. If those offers are rejected, judges will offer the position to their second choices at that time. I think that should give you enough time to consider both offers. 

And just to add to this, you can always email a law clerk program coordinator and ask if they think there is a chance. They are the ones with the lists of the judge rankings and they will be able to advise you. (Very nice people!!)

Edited by 23512351
  • Thanks 4

notnotadog
  • Lawyer
Just now, 548193 said:

Does anyone have an approximate idea of how many candidates ONCA interviews?

I think it was approx 60 last year

whatlikeitshard
  • Lawyer
8 minutes ago, notnotadog said:

Heads up: heard from a friend that calls have started for SCC.

I don’t think I got it but I hope the best for y’all 🤍🤍🤍🤍

• Like 2

Kid Presentable
8 minutes ago, whatlikeitshard said:

I don’t think I got it but I hope the best for y’all 🤍🤍🤍🤍

Yeah I am not super confident either. Best of luck to everyone though!

• Articling Student

Do we think it's over...? Heard chief justice picked 4 this morning and then the rest started around 11:45AM.  

Jacketpotato
  • Lawyer
10 minutes ago, 23512351 said:

Do we think it's over...? Heard chief justice picked 4 this morning and then the rest started around 11:45AM.  

Are they usually done within 2 hours? I've heard of people getting calls at end of day before 

• Like 1

• Articling Student
3 minutes ago, Jacketpotato said:

Are they usually done within 2 hours? I've heard of people getting calls at end of day before 

Last year, it seemed SO quick - they were done by mid afternoon and then prov appellate started - but hopefully it's slower this year? 

Edited by 23512351

Kid Presentable
1 minute ago, 23512351 said:

Last year, it seemed SO quick - they were done and then prov appellate started - but hopefully it is a slow process

Last year, if I remember correctly, ONCA calls started about 4 p.m. Not sure what that means, if anything.

• Like 1

• Articling Student
Just now, Annaxqc said:

If SCC starts today, is FCA and FC still scheduled for the 4th of March?

Yes - FCA, some prov appellate (ONCA/ BCCA), and FC will go next Friday on March 4th.

Edited by 23512351
  • Thanks 2

Jacketpotato
  • Lawyer
15 minutes ago, 23512351 said:

Last year, it seemed SO quick - they were done by mid afternoon and then prov appellate started - but hopefully it's slower this year? 

It may be. In my mind it ain't over until it's the end of day 

• Like 1

notnotadog
  • Lawyer
2 minutes ago, Jacketpotato said:

It may be. In my mind it ain't over until it's the end of day 

With the 3 each this year instead of 4 I’d put money on it being done unfortunately 

• Sad 1