Clerkship Interviews 2022

Pupper111

• Law Student
5 minutes ago, notnotadog said:

With the 3 each this year instead of 4 I’d put money on it being done unfortunately 

A friend was called not long ago - I wouldn't consider things done until the end of the day. 

• Like 1

Kid Presentable

Does anyone know how the judges go about picking? I know they go by seniority, and I just saw on Twitter someone was hired by a judge who would be pretty late in the seniority order—if they each do all their picks at a time, then I'd say they're probably pretty close to done, but if they each pick one at a time then there might be a while yet to go.

• Thanks 1

• Articling Student
1 minute ago, Kid Presentable said:

Does anyone know how the judges go about picking? I know they go by seniority, and I just saw on Twitter someone was hired by a judge who would be pretty late in the seniority order—if they each do all their picks at a time, then I'd say they're probably pretty close to done, but if they each pick one at a time then there might be a while yet to go.

My understanding is that the Chief Justices picks all 4 first and then the rest each pick one in order of seniority for three rounds.

• Thanks 1

joeyman365
  • Lawyer
33 minutes ago, 23512351 said:

My understanding is that the Chief Justices picks all 4 first and then the rest each pick one in order of seniority for three rounds.

As a former clerk and long time SCC watcher I can confirm this is how it worked in the past. However, last year I believe they did the draft in the morning and then called the candidates in the afternoon after the process was over. In the past, the judges would call as they drafted and some judges would take a while to make a pick, thus slowing down the process. Sometimes it would spill into Monday. But I haven't seen that happen in the last few years.

43 minutes ago, notnotadog said:

With the 3 each this year instead of 4 I’d put money on it being done unfortunately 

I'm not sure why you would think they are only selecting three this year? From what I understand, only one judge hired a two-year clerk last year. So most judges will be picking four unless they are reverting back to three clerks?

notnotadog
  • Lawyer
4 minutes ago, joeyman365 said:

As a former clerk and long time SCC watcher I can confirm this is how it worked in the past. However, last year I believe they did the draft in the morning and then called the candidates in the afternoon after the process was over. In the past, the judges would call as they drafted and some judges would take a while to make a pick, thus slowing down the process. Sometimes it would spill into Monday. But I haven't seen that happen in the last few years.

I'm not sure why you would think they are only selecting three this year? From what I understand, only one judge hired a two-year clerk last year. So most judges will be picking four unless they are reverting back to three clerks?

My CDO confirmed with the court that they are reverting to 3 each.

• Like 1

• Articling Student

The SCC judges also said so (re there being only 3 clerks per judge) in my interviews, for what it's worth. 

Edited by 121345
  • Like 1

joeyman365
  • Lawyer

Wow! Sorry I missed your above posts. That's news to me. Thanks for sharing!

Edited by joeyman365

notnotadog
  • Lawyer

I preferred it last year where they did the appellate courts right after so you could know it was over and move on haha

• Like 1
  • Nom! 1

elle1234
  • Law Student

Just wondering how people know that BCCA/ONCA/FCA comes out on March 4? Have never seen this info elsewhere so just wondering. Thanks!

• Law Student
18 minutes ago, elle1234 said:

Just wondering how people know that BCCA/ONCA/FCA comes out on March 4? Have never seen this info elsewhere so just wondering. Thanks!

I was told by an FCA judge that their offers would come out March 4 but was told by ONCA that they wouldn't disclose the date (though I assume it would all be the same day). 

capitalttruth
  • Articling Student

For those that were interviewed/accepted for FC and FCA clerkships, how was your French? Was French competency considered a dealbreaker for the judges?

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer

Most of them (FCA) thought it was novel that I was speaking French and then switched me to English. I didn't get the impression that it mattered very much or at all, even for a few QC justices.

• Like 1

• Articling Student
7 hours ago, capitalttruth said:

For those that were interviewed/accepted for FC and FCA clerkships, how was your French? Was French competency considered a dealbreaker for the judges?

Some judges require French because they working in that language 1/3 of the time. From experience, I can confirm that the language is definitely required for clerks working for judges in such a position. For example, for French files, clerks are often asked to prepare memos, drafting, etc in French. 

If you secure a bilingual position where French is a big part of the judge's mandate, your offers will be conditional on passing government french tests (and sometimes, achieving the highest score on those tests), so I wouldn't brush off that requirement.

Annaxqc
  • Law Student
37 minutes ago, 23512351 said:

Some judges require French because they working in that language 1/3 of the time. From experience, I can confirm that the language is definitely required for clerks working for judges in such a position. For example, for French files, clerks are often asked to prepare memos, drafting, etc in French. 

If you secure a bilingual position where French is a big part of the judge's mandate, your offers will be conditional on passing government french tests (and sometimes, achieving the highest score on those tests), so I wouldn't brush off that requirement.

Quick question ; if we're bilingual, but did all of our studies in French , is the same test required but for English proficiency?

• Articling Student

Just want to add though that you'd know in your interview if the judges have very bilingual positions (or based on their profiles). I'd say those judges are usually interviewing candidates who have advertised their bilingual-ness too.

44 minutes ago, Annaxqc said:

Quick question ; if we're bilingual, but did all of our studies in French , is the same test required but for English proficiency?

Yes - I know of clerks at the FCA and FC who have been asked to complete testing, but if you are functional in English, the tests are not hard! (Do not worry!). 

Edited by 23512351
  • Thanks 1

CommeCiCommeCa
  • Articling Student
9 hours ago, capitalttruth said:

I did all of my interviews (except for one) fully in French, and the judges all said that one of the most important things they were looking for was a candidate who could easily work in both languages. So maybe it depends on the judge, but being bilingual enough to work in both languages is definitely a deal breaker for some judges.

• Like 1

Annaxqc
  • Law Student

Was just wondering, since FCA calls are coming tomorrow - will we get a call (or an email) even if we're not chosen? Or is it like the SCC ; you either get a call or you're ghosted? 

• Articling Student
5 minutes ago, Annaxqc said:

Was just wondering, since FCA calls are coming tomorrow - will we get a call (or an email) even if we're not chosen? Or is it like the SCC ; you either get a call or you're ghosted? 

You will not be contacted specifically by the FCA if you are not chosen. First offers will go out tomorrow. People usually have until Monday or Tuesday to accept and then the judges will offer to their next choices. I don't think that there is usually another round after that, but I guess anything is possible. 

If you are not selected by the Federal courts at all by April or May, you will get an email from them thanking you for applying and letting you know that all clerks have been picked. 

(PS: the scc doesn't ghost - they email a few days after call day to confirm all spots are filled).

• Thanks 1

Annaxqc
  • Law Student
1 minute ago, 23512351 said:

You will not be contacted specifically by the FCA if you are not chosen. First offers will go out tomorrow. People usually have until Monday or Tuesday to accept and then the judges will offer to their next choices. I don't think that there is usually another round after that, but I guess anything is possible. 

If you are not selected by the Federal courts at all by April or May, you will get an email from them thanking you for applying and letting you know that all clerks have been picked. 

(PS: the scc doesn't ghost - they email a few days after call day to confirm all spots are filled).

thanks, that's reassuring 🙂

• Hugs 1

notnotadog
  • Lawyer
Just now, wonderegg said:

Does anyone know if it’s okay to miss the call? 

Lol without a doubt. That would be extremely unreasonable, especially because they don't give specific times.

Edited by notnotadog
  • Thanks 3

• Articling Student
39 minutes ago, wonderegg said:

Does anyone know if it’s okay to miss the call? 

I missed two calls last year - both left a message and a number to call back 🙂

• Thanks 2

BlushAndTheBar
  • Lawyer

Employing the "keeping myself unreasonably busy to distract myself" technique until I completely forget about calls tomorrow. Will post an update if I manage to find the cure for cancer and/or world hunger 

Edited by BlushAndTheBar
  • LOL 3
  • Hugs 2