Clerkship Interviews 2024-2025

whoknowsnoti

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
10 hours ago, notnotadog said:

I don’t want to say who as it’s identifying! But they have started. 

Congratulations! 

• Thanks 1

capitalttruth
  • Law Student

Does anyone know if any FC interviews happen the week of offer day? Wondering if I still have a chance to get more interviews before the 3rd.

• Articling Student
1 hour ago, capitalttruth said:

Does anyone know if any FC interviews happen the week of offer day? Wondering if I still have a chance to get more interviews before the 3rd.

At the Federal Courts, Monday through Wednesday is still a possibility, although selection for most judges is more or less complete (Thursday could also occur, exceptionally, if a judge is truly unavailable before, but unlikely). 

Also, I should mention that although a majority of judges will recruit during this period, there are always a few that, for one reason or another, recruit afterwards. In other words, there might be a possibility of getting more interviews beyond March 3rd! 

• Like 1

capitalttruth
  • Law Student
6 minutes ago, 23512351 said:

At the Federal Courts, Monday through Wednesday is still a possibility, although selection for most judges is more or less complete (Thursday could also occur, exceptionally, if a judge is truly unavailable before, but unlikely). 

Also, I should mention that although a majority of judges will recruit during this period, there are always a few that, for one reason or another, recruit afterwards. In other words, there might be a possibility of getting more interviews beyond March 3rd! 

Thanks for this. Maybe I need to humble myself, but I'm honestly baffled that I haven't got more than 1 interview throughout this process. I guess 1 is better than 0.

• Hugs 1

lawstudent104
  • Law Student

Do clerkship (specifically FC/FCA, BCCA/BCSC) offers come as a phone call or as an email? If it is a phone call and you miss it, will they call the next student? Usually how long do you have to make a decision to accept/reject?

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
45 minutes ago, lawstudent104 said:

Do clerkship (specifically FC/FCA, BCCA/BCSC) offers come as a phone call or as an email? If it is a phone call and you miss it, will they call the next student? Usually how long do you have to make a decision to accept/reject?

Not to be a dick, but no employer in the world hires by calling you once and then moving on to the next best person if you don’t pick up. 

In my experience, appellate courts usually call and they’ll give you the weekend to consider if you’re offered on Friday, and less time if you’re offered next week. Trial courts seem more flexible. None of them are particularly happy if you ask for time. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 2

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
5 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

no employer in the world

You'd be surprised.

(I agree that a clerkship wouldn't operate that way though.)

dragoncandyshark
  • Law Student
On 2/27/2023 at 10:30 AM, monnomest said:

Has anyone received an interview request from Justice Grammond at the FC? 

I have! I didn't do very well though, don't think I'll get an offer from him 😅

Byzantine
  • Law Student
On 2/27/2023 at 9:26 AM, lawstudent104 said:

BCSC was via email for 1st and 2nd interviews and then you book an interview slot online

Edit: I totally misread the question but cannot delete it now haha, please ignore 🙂

Edited by Byzantine

Clerkshipwouldbegood
  • Law Student

Does anyone know whether the FCA will wait until after ONCA has made its calls this Friday?

atg95
  • Lawyer
On 2/25/2023 at 7:46 PM, 23512351 said:

I know some people who are interviewing for FC tomorrow.

capitalttruth
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, atg95 said:

I know some people who are interviewing for FC tomorrow.

Damn : ( I was hoping I'd have one more interview before the 3rd. 

• Articling Student
16 hours ago, Clerkshipwouldbegood said:

Does anyone know whether the FCA will wait until after ONCA has made its calls this Friday?

When you get a call or an email, you do not need to accept on the spot. You will get a few days to accept to consider your options. Federal courts have signalled they will start making offers at noon. We don’t have ONCA or BCCA info on timing, but have been told they will also come out sometime Friday

So TLDR: I cannot confirm who will be first, but it won’t matter really since you have time to choose if you get both

Edited by 23512351
  • Like 1

Régis Lateur
  • Law Student

With respect to the Federal Court, does it typically take a long time for selected candidates to receive a call starting noon? For instance, are offers made one call at a time by the coordinator, or is it more like several employees calling candidates? 

• Like 1

• Articling Student

Unless it has changed, it is one call at a time by the clerkship coordinator. 

My understanding is that the FCA process is less than an hour, whereas the FC one is approximately 2 hours.

Good luck everyone! 🙂

Edited by 23512351
  • Like 3