Clerkship Interviews: 2025-2026

Goblin King

JD incoming
  • Law Student

I apologize if this has been answered before, but do we know exactly when the FC offers will be out?

Goblin King
  • Law Student
29 minutes ago, JD incoming said:

I apologize if this has been answered before, but do we know exactly when the FC offers will be out?

According to my ONCA interview: the Federal Courts, ONCA, and the BC Superior Courts will all make their offers on March 8. 

traintogo
  • Law Student

BC Supreme Court is still interviewing until Mid-March (I believe until March 18), so offers won't go out until after then I imagine

ontariogogogo
  • Law Student

Do FC offers need to be accepted immediately? I have an interview with the BC courts, but don't expect an offer until after interviewing is complete, which would be way after March 8. Would prefer BCSC over FC, but also don't want to end up with no clerkship. 

Help!!!

Goblin King
  • Law Student
52 minutes ago, Allard2024 said:

BC Supreme Court is still interviewing until Mid-March (I believe until March 18), so offers won't go out until after then I imagine

Yes, sorry. 

49 minutes ago, ontariogogogo said:

Do FC offers need to be accepted immediately? I have an interview with the BC courts, but don't expect an offer until after interviewing is complete, which would be way after March 8. Would prefer BCSC over FC, but also don't want to end up with no clerkship. 

Help!!!

My understanding is you can take a maximum of 24h to think about it. I doubt you'd be able to put off answering for 1+ week(s). 

lawfulactivity
  • Law Student
On 2/14/2024 at 1:11 PM, anon48 said:

+ Justice Woods and Justice Webb.

+ Justice Gleason, Justice Roussel

HarryCrane
  • Articling Student
4 hours ago, ontariogogogo said:

Help!!!

Second what @Goblin King said, you’ll get 24 hours to accept. You aren’t going to get much (if anything) longer than that. FC (and any court) wants clerks who want to be there, so you’ll have to make a decision. 

herb
  • Law Student
8 hours ago, Allard2024 said:

Not sure if you guys are also referring to BCCA but last year I got the BCCA call the Friday of the week I interviewed and before the second round BCSC interviews had started just fyi. 

acceptcookies

I know SCC offers usually go out the Friday of interview week. I'm curious if anyone confirmed this during their interviews?  Thanks!

dillpickles
  • Law Student
5 hours ago, acceptcookies said:

I know SCC offers usually go out the Friday of interview week. I'm curious if anyone confirmed this during their interviews?  Thanks!

I can confirm this!

• Hugs 1

law777
  • Law Student

Hello! Can anyone please confirm when ONSC offers go out? I am also interviewing at the Federal Courts. I heard that Fed Court offers go out on March 7th.

Edited by law777

ontariogogogo
  • Law Student

is it more prestigious to clerk at the BCSC over the FC? I am out of my city for both courts, so I am struggling with how to tackle this dilemma (namely, if I get an FC offer, do I take it or do I gamble for a BCSC offer bc I plan to live in Vancouver post-clerkship) - for context, I want to practice environmental and aboriginal laws.

PlainsGal
  • Law Student
10 hours ago, ontariogogogo said:

is it more prestigious to clerk at the BCSC over the FC? I am out of my city for both courts, so I am struggling with how to tackle this dilemma (namely, if I get an FC offer, do I take it or do I gamble for a BCSC offer bc I plan to live in Vancouver post-clerkship) - for context, I want to practice environmental and aboriginal laws.

What I can say is it might depend on the judge you'd get a FC offer from-- if you want to work in aboriginal law and you receive an offer from Justice Grammond, for example, I'd absolutely accept it as he is so specialized and experienced in this specific area. I also know of people who have accepted clerkship offers, and then rescinded them, so I'm sure it's unconfortable but not unacceptable to do. 

law777
  • Law Student

Hello! Can anyone please confirm when ONSC offers go out? I know Ottawa ONSC interviews are early next week, but does anyone know if ONSC offers will go out later next week (Thursday or Friday)?

Edited by law777

wheredidtheremotego
  • Law Student

I was offered an interview with a trial court but my thinking on clerking has shifted a bit in the past few weeks and I'm not sure I would accept if I were to be offered the position. I feel like I need more time to think it through, but I don't want to waste the court's/Justice's time. My two options are 1) decline the interview; or 2) go to the interview, see if I get it, and use the additional time to think things through. What are the negatives of turning down a clerkship offer (specifically if you aren't taking a clerkship at another court instead)? 

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
14 minutes ago, wheredidtheremotego said:

What are the negatives of turning down a clerkship offer (specifically if you aren't taking a clerkship at another court instead)? 

Absolutely no consequence to you. They will move down the list to the next candidate and will forgot you existed. Nobody is going to investigate whether you accepted a different clerkship offer, or try to cause any trouble for you.

• Like 1

wheredidtheremotego
  • Law Student
1 minute ago, CleanHands said:

Absolutely no consequence to you. They will move down the list to the next candidate and will forgot you existed. Nobody is going to investigate whether you accepted a different clerkship offer, or try to cause any trouble for you.

Ok, thank you, this makes perfect sense. An admin at my law school said it was a faux pas or something, so I wanted to know what other people thought.

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
22 minutes ago, wheredidtheremotego said:

Ok, thank you, this makes perfect sense. An admin at my law school said it was a faux pas or something, so I wanted to know what other people thought.

Cheers. And I'm not surprised that's what led you to ask this question. I feel like the admin/CSO contribute to, rather than alleviate, student anxiety and neurosis more often than not.

• Like 1

ontariogogogo
  • Law Student

Related question, what are the consequences of accepting an offer (with FC) and then rescinding it for an offer to another court? 

HarryCrane
  • Articling Student
48 minutes ago, wheredidtheremotego said:

If there is any sort of "faux pas" or consequence, its on the end of the faculty, not the court. The Court is going to have a list of candidates and they'll move on to the next on the list. The faculty I would imagine would not be thrilled to learn you declined an offer, but there really isn't a way for them to find out unless you tell them. This shouldn't factor into your decision though, you need to do what you think is best for yourself.

14 hours ago, ontariogogogo said:

I don't think one is going to be inherently more prestigious than the other, but the BCSC might have more of a benefit if you plan on practicing in Vancouver (the other BCSC clerks you'll get to know presumably will also practice there, you'll have a better understanding of the justices you will be appearing in front of etc).

Edited by HarryCrane

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
8 minutes ago, ontariogogogo said:

Related question, what are the consequences of accepting an offer (with FC) and then rescinding it for an offer to another court? 

Don't do this.

• Like 5

scooter
  • Law Student
10 minutes ago, ontariogogogo said:

There's a big difference between just declining an offer when they call you (they move on and call the next person), vs accepting an offer and backing out a week or two later. That judge now has to find a new clerk, and at that point the other candidates they liked have probably been hired by other FC judges or other courts. 

• Like 3

Goblin King
  • Law Student
16 minutes ago, ontariogogogo said:

Your reputation as reliable matters -- don't do this. Accept the risks of the process and roll with it. 

• Like 1

You guys, don’t use the anonymous function for this stuff ^

It’s  a query, not information. 

• Like 1

RollAND
  • Applicant
On 2/28/2024 at 1:30 PM, acceptcookies said:

I did 🙂

• Hugs 1