Clerkship Interviews: 2025-2026

Goblin King

RollAND
  • Applicant

Just felt like saying good luck to all of those for whom it feels like the end of the journey is near, especially those who may be waiting for that SCC call tomorrow!
Remember, this is just another leg of the journey. No matter how tough it feels, there will be other opportunities.

… and of course, best of luck to those who are in still ongoing processes.

• Like 4

Mountebank
  • Lawyer
48 minutes ago, Hegdis said:

You guys, don’t use the anonymous function for this stuff ^

It’s  a query, not information. 

Don't pretend that wasn't your post.

Guest Anonymous

Anyone else waiting for only one FC call? I don't have high hopes, but it's better than nothing. Two years in a row now only one interview. I'm going to try again next year if nothing pans out.

capitalttruth
  • Articling Student
Just now, Guest Anonymous said:

Anyone else waiting for only one FC call? I don't have high hopes, but it's better than nothing. Two years in a row now only one interview. I'm going to try again next year if nothing pans out.

The heck? I'm signed in but my post says it's coming from an anonymous user.

culitigator
  • Law School Admit
12 minutes ago, Guest Anonymous said:

I only had one interview as well! I'm sure we are not alone

capitalttruth
  • Articling Student
34 minutes ago, culitigator said:

I only had one interview as well! I'm sure we are not alone

Best of luck. Who was your interview with? I wonder how many students are interviewed per individual judge.

tiktok
  • Law Student
31 minutes ago, capitalttruth said:

Best of luck. Who was your interview with? I wonder how many students are interviewed per individual judge.

My guess is 5-7 each. The judges with less seniority probably 10-ish each i would say. 

1 hour ago, capitalttruth said:

The heck? I'm signed in but my post says it's coming from an anonymous user.

I am kind of surprised tbh. You have a A- avg. Doesnt that make you above avg or at top 20 per cent at your school?

Edited by tiktok

capitalttruth
  • Articling Student
9 minutes ago, tiktok said:

My guess is 5-7 each. The judges with less seniority probably 10-ish each i would say. 

I am kind of surprised tbh. You have a A- avg. Doesnt that make you above avg or at top 20 per cent at your school?

I'm not sure where an A- would put me in terms of class rankings - my school doesn't rank students anymore. In terms of not being competitive, I can only speculate. Lack of experience in some of the areas of jurisdiction of the FC, maybe. I don't have any experience in IP or tax. My CV practically screams Aboriginal law, which may have limited me. I have experience in criminal law, national security law, and immigration law on top of my experience in Aboriginal law, which I should have indicated on my CV more explicitly. If I'm not successful this year, I'll make sure to diversify my CV next year. I also don't have perfect French, so maybe that's another strike against me.

Edited by capitalttruth

capitalttruth
  • Articling Student

Has anyone interviewed with Justice Blackhawk? She was appointed to the FC on February 9th this year. I was hoping I still have a shot with her hiring process in case she hasn't began conducting interviews yet.

RollAND
  • Applicant
8 hours ago, capitalttruth said:

Has anyone interviewed with Justice Blackhawk? She was appointed to the FC on February 9th this year. I was hoping I still have a shot with her hiring process in case she hasn't began conducting interviews yet.

Worth two cents and not more + I have not been contacted for her specifically, but given the timeline I have seen with judges who were appointed in late 2023-early 2024, it would make sense if she hadn’t started!

In my experience, the administration also takes over for new appointees, she may wanna find people for both 2024-2025 and 2025-2026, so they may email you asking whether you would be available to start in August 2024 to create a mini pool for her, even before they start rolling out interview offers. 

Edited by RollAND
Clarification

reasonableperson2024
  • Law Student
On 2/28/2024 at 10:30 AM, acceptcookies said:

I know SCC offers usually go out the Friday of interview week. I'm curious if anyone confirmed this during their interviews?  Thanks!

I heard from someone else who interviewed that the judge confirmed it would be Friday. The judge in my interview didn’t specify but I also didn’t ask. 

• Like 1

dragoncandyshark
  • Law Student

Does anyone know at what time SCC calls go out? I’m wondering if the train has already left the station for me.

impecuniousmaximus
  • Articling Student

It was confirmed to be today in one of my interviews as well.

I spoke with clerks from previous years who received calls as late as 2:30 pm on call day. Someone will almost certainly post in this thread once the calls have started. So no, definitely don’t give up hope just yet!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

reasonableperson2024
  • Law Student
4 minutes ago, dragoncandyshark said:

Does anyone know at what time SCC calls go out? I’m wondering if the train has already left the station for me.

I’m wondering the same as I sit here nervously. I think the judges do it at different times? And I’m not sure if they take time zones into account to avoid very early calls for western applicants. 

• Like 3

dragoncandyshark
  • Law Student

Thanks that’s reassuring! I won’t give up hope until 2:30 then 😄 Good luck to everyone waiting for a call today!

dillpickles
  • Law Student

Does anyone know if SCC calls go out in order of judges' seniority?

acceptcookies

Can confirm calls have started! Just received one. Good luck to all!

• Like 5

reasonableperson2024
  • Law Student
15 minutes ago, acceptcookies said:

Can confirm calls have started! Just received one. Good luck to all!

Congrats! 🥳 

• Like 1

acceptcookies

For anyone interested (and without giving too much away re: identifying info) the judge that called was in the top half in terms of seniority! So if they're going "draft pick" style, there's certainly more calls that will go out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

gwerfy
  • Applicant

Anyone know when the ON and federal courts will begin sending out offers? 

law777
  • Law Student
1 minute ago, gwerfy said:

Anyone know when the ON and federal courts will begin sending out offers? 

The judge I interviewed with for the Federal Courts said March 7th offers will go out.

Anyone know when Ontario Superior Court clerkship (ONSC) offers will go out? Will it be next week?

impecuniousmaximus
  • Articling Student

Any other calls we know of from the SCC? Any from the latter half of seniority?

lawfulactivity
  • Law Student
1 minute ago, impecuniousmaximus said:

Any other calls we know of from the SCC? Any from the latter half of seniority?

Can confirm that one judge from latter half of seniority called.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

misterpresley
  • Law Student
2 minutes ago, lawfulactivity said:

Can confirm that one judge from latter half of seniority called.

Do we know if they do the entire draft pick process all at once and then each call all their clerks? Or do they call each clerk after each pick (i.e., if people have received calls from judges of all seniorities, perhaps that was only the first or second round picks? and there is still hope lol?)