1L Recruits 2022

LegalFox

Meta
  • Law Student
5 minutes ago, Squirtle said:

So weird that there's a random ITC from Osler yesterday evening. Can anyone confirm any other ITCs or PFOs?

I received an ITC from Osler yesterday at around 5 pm.

• Like 1

jawnlegend
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, student1023 said:

UofT student

ITC: Davies, A&B, Blakes

PFO: Dentons

When did you hear from A&B?

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, CleanHands said:

You got an interview with Davies but not Dentons? WTF

Paging @BlockedQuebecois (Sorry @Professor Lupin)

The 1L recruit has always been a weird hit or miss game for top students. I know folks who got offers from Blakes and Davies but weren’t even offered interviews by A&B, which is obviously a much lower ranked firm in most (all?) practice areas. And the reverse happens too—top firms pass over great students, who end up going to lower ranked shops.

The same is true to a certain extent in the 2L recruit, too, but the recruit is big enough that those anomalies sort themselves out. 

• Like 2

LegalLoophole
  • Law Student
5 hours ago, LegalFox said:

Anyone hear back from Dentons, Osler, or Blakes Toronto yet?

Yes. Got PFOs from Dentons and Blakes 😂

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
5 minutes ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

The 1L recruit has always been a weird hit or miss game for top students. I know folks who got offers from Blakes and Davies but weren’t even offered interviews by A&B, which is obviously a much lower ranked firm in most (all?) practice areas. And the reverse happens too—top firms pass over great students, who end up going to lower ranked shops.

The same is true to a certain extent in the 2L recruit, too, but the recruit is big enough that those anomalies sort themselves out. 

Yes, that's right. Some firms don't waste their time and energy on candidates they think will go elsewhere. Others are looking for specific candidate profiles (it's been years, but back when I applied, I think Torys only wanted JD/MBA students or something - I can't recall).

• Like 1

CoffeeIsLife
  • Law Student

Osgoode

ITC Dentons and McMillan

PFO Davies and Blakes

Based on the posts I'm guessing I shouldn't be waiting on BLG and Osler anymore since ITCs went out already?

Edited by CoffeeIsLife
  • Like 1

Squirtle
  • Law Student
5 minutes ago, CoffeeIsLife said:

Osgoode

ITC Dentons and McMillan

PFO Davies and Blakes

Based on the posts I'm guessing I shouldn't be waiting on BLG and Osler anymore since ITCs went out already?

I wouldn't fully discount them yet!

• Like 1

capitalttruth
  • Articling Student

PFO Osler. That makes all PFOs across the board (so far). Only waiting to hear back from AB, ZTGH, BLG, McMillan, and an employment firm in Ottawa (EH).

I have two questions: Is it customary for PFO notices to be tailored to the student or should I just disregard them as a formality? Secondly, considering I have decent grades (A- average) and relatively good experience (research experience, law review, masters, government and UN work) - is there any angle of speculation I can entertain as to why I didn't get any interviews? Granted, I know full well these applications are extremely competitive, I am just curious.

Edited by capitalttruth
  • Like 3

herewegoagain
  • Law Student
23 minutes ago, capitalttruth said:

PFO Osler. That makes all PFOs across the board (so far). Only waiting to hear back from AB, ZTGH, BLG, McMillan, and an employment firm in Ottawa (EH).

I have two questions: Is it customary for PFO notices to be tailored to the student or should I just disregard them as a formality? Secondly, considering I have decent grades (A- average) and relatively good experience (research experience, law review, masters, government and UN work) - is there any angle of speculation I can entertain as to why I didn't get any interviews? Granted, I know full well these applications are extremely competitive, I am just curious.

Similar boat as you. Decent grades and I’ve got 2 interviews and PFOs from almost everywhere else 

Edited by herewegoagain

Ben
  • Law Student
28 minutes ago, capitalttruth said:

They’re not tailored.

Turtles
  • Law Student
31 minutes ago, capitalttruth said:

The Osler PFO saying they'll have you in mind if they have extra interview spots is the same copy pasta everyone gets.

• Sad 1
  • LOL 1

Pecan Boy
  • Articling Student
33 minutes ago, capitalttruth said:

is there any angle of speculation I can entertain as to why I didn't get any interviews? Granted, I know full well these applications are extremely competitive, I am just curious.

Don't overthink it - the process is just insanely competitive, particularly if you're not at UofT or Osgoode. 

• Like 1

frog man
  • Law Student
5 hours ago, goodisgood said:

PFO at Osler, uOttawa! Still waiting on A&B, BLG, McMillan, and Thornton. 

I got an ITC from Thornton a while back! Might be safe to rule that one out 😞

• Nom! 1

InspectorGadget
  • Law Student

Has anyone heard back from Sherrard? 

Edited by InspectorGadget

frozenbananas
  • Law Student

If folks have heard from places like McMillan and A&B and you have not (and you don't go to the school they mentioned) are we just waiting on the inevitable PFO?